Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don’t take our Mountain Bikes out of town as often as we used to, so I really don’t want to get into mounting them on the roof or hanging them off a tow hitch. When I had my MKIV GTI I could fit them in the hatch.

Will two mountain bikes with their front wheels removed fit into the hatch area with the rear seats folded down?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good question Bob!

The Q3 catalog shows one mountain bike in the rear with front tire attached, (page after premo plus features). Looks like a second might fit but if you're not too fussy about scratched upholstery.

I'm not a fan of roof rack bike racks either. It'd be nice if my trunk type mount could work on the hatch of the coming Q3. Humm maybe. Most riding here however begins on a state park trail 100 yards from our driveway. An advantage of living in the mountains after all has dried up from the thaw!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

I have a really adaptable trunk bike rack, also. I know it would fit on the hatch of my Passat station wagon if I throw on straps to keep it from swaying side to side. I don't do it because the bikes fit in the Passat and the rack will fit better on the trunk of my BMW convertible which I have never done because of the Passat. So if they don't fit in a Q3, I will revert to plan BMW.

The thing that would worry me the most is the fact that the Q3 has an aluminum hatch.

BTW: Thanks for the catalog page reference, I found it. I use old blankets and lay my bikes flat on top of each other. The bike in the picture is on an angle and I can't tell what size it is. It may even be a BMX.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bob-

Good spot on the bike. It most likely is a BMX; I just noticed the foot pegs on the back wheel and thinking about, a mountain bike most likely won't fit, with the wheel attached anyway.

There are some folks here that have done trailer hitches. Seems it was a little challenging from acquiring parts to installation but another avenue to consider.

I was on Thule's site the other day and they do not have have a solution for the Q3. Our other car is a Mini convertible so riding might be somewhat local for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts