Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from my wife yesterday afternoon. On her way home from work her 2015 Q3 (41,000 miles) lost power and began running very rough. Check engine light was flashing. I drove to where she was broken down & I called Audi assistance to arrange for it to be towed to the dealer. It took 2 hours for the flatbed to arrive. I received a call from service this morning that they found a broken intake valve spring. They have ordered the parts and hope to have the vehicle back to us Friday afternoon. Unfortunately they do not have a loaner available, but I work from home so my wife can drive my car. Has anyone had or heard of valve springs breaking in these vehicles? As I said, it only has 41,000 miles, it is 100% stock, never abused or even revved near redline.

Thanks in advance...

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valve springs just don't usually break unless over revved..
Apparently they do. This vehicle has always been driven pretty gently. Although, I cannot speak for it before 5000 miles because it was a dealer owned vehicle. But we've owned it for the next 36,000+ miles and I can absolutely say it has not been over revved. I did read on another forum about known bad valve springs in earlier A4 models. I'm thinking it was just a faulty part. Hopefully all of the others are good and we don't have this issue again. As you said they "usually" don't just break, so I am hopeful that we just had one faulty spring.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Apparently they do. This vehicle has always been driven pretty gently. Although, I cannot speak for it before 5000 miles because it was a dealer owned vehicle. But we've owned it for the next 36,000+ miles and I can absolutely say it has not been over revved. I did read on another forum about known bad valve springs in earlier A4 models. I'm thinking it was just a faulty part. Hopefully all of the others are good and we don't have this issue again. As you said they "usually" don't just break, so I am hopeful that we just had one faulty spring.
a very UNCOMMON occurrence for sure

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sometimes happens, due to a metalurgical defect of the spring. But it is not a very common failure in Audi engines. If you over-rev an engine, a weak valve spring will fail immediately...not 36,000 miles later. Plus, the ECU has an electronic rev limiter, and with an automatic transmission, it is pretty much impossible to overrev due to a missed-shift or improper downshift (like with a manual transmission).

Similarly, there were a few cases of broken intake camshafts (the lobe broke free of the shaft) on some 2017 Q3 2.0 engines, due to improperly manufactured camshafts. These failures usually occurred within the first 10,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts