Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you considering buying the OEM base carrier bars for your Q3, I have this to report. I just bought a pair and compared to most every other bars I've seen, these bars are quite wide, a little more than 3 inches across. They do seem to mount quite securely and I like that they don't protrude much out to the sides of the car. However, if you plan to leave these on all of the time be forewarned, they create considerable wind noise, more than other bars I have used in the past on other cars, and way more than I'd be willing to tolerate on a daily basis. I only plan to use mine on occaision.

Reactions: David and JohnJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been looking to buy the carrier bars, but I couldn't find them online. Where did you get yours? Appreciate any tips!

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Not bad at a discount of 12.5% and includes free shipping, and no tax. MSRP is $395, and my dealer usually gives me 20-25% off...

Reactions: Quatto

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not bad at a discount of 12.5% and includes free shipping, and no tax. MSRP is $395, and my dealer usually gives me 20-25% off...
Doesn't get any better than that!

I find that usually this is the case, some select dealers with the ability to offer that level of pricing which others cannot match.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there, i'm also interested in getting carrier bars as well but I don't any wind noise problems. What other aftermarket brands are also compatible with the Q3?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I've been looking to buy the carrier bars, but I couldn't find them online. Where did you get yours? Appreciate any tips!
EBay. Florida dealer. $345 shipped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use Thule Aeroblade Edge bars. They produce very little, barely noticable if at all, wind noise compared to the Audi stock bars on my Mom's Q5 which make pretty annoyingly loud sounds. Do test, carefully, opening the sunroof with accessories attached on the bars. The sunroof opens fine, all the way, with just the bars on, but with my bike carrier mounted, the window can tilt fine but only slides open about 3-5 inches before it would run into the screws holding the bike carrier to the rear bar. Next time I use the carrier, I was planning to test moving the back bar back a little more (mounted right on the holes for the stock bars last time), I think moving the back bar back a bit would allow the window to slide open all the way without effecting fitment (from 700mm to about 800mm or a little less between the bars). Also worth mentioning is, with my bike carrier, the rear lift gate opened all the way but with only a few mm's of extra clearance, so be careful and test before just opening the lift gate all the way as other carriers may be longer, or shorter. All in all, I spent about the same on the Aeroblade Edge bars as the stock bars, 20% off memorial day at REI, and I believe the Aeroblade Edge to be superior in regards to wind noise, and style (sleek look with integrated feet), but slightly inferior as far as ease of installation goes, its not hard to install by any means, but definitely more work than just dropping the stock bars on and tightening the one bolt with the included torque wrench (aeroblade edge have 3 bolts with no torque wrench, just allen wrench).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can replace the rubber strip in both bars with the Thule's Aero Blade Channel Cover and the wind noise will be eliminated. This is my first post to the forum so I cannot post a link. eTrailer sells these for $10.51 each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts