Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to ask everyone: Can you only put up to a certain amperage into the lighter socket? I bought another cell phone adapter plug for my phone and it didn't work but the cheapie one I bought does? I believe the cheapie one says 2.4 amps. The Aukey plug I bought thru Amazon is 4.8 amps/24W. So does that mean I can use any 2..... amp plug but the 4.8 amp plug is too much for the car? BTW, I know it's got two usb ports and supposedly they're each 2.4amps. Maybe it's the brand???

Very confused...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I wanted to ask everyone: Can you only put up to a certain amperage into the lighter socket? I bought another cell phone adapter plug for my phone and it didn't work but the cheapie one I bought does? I believe the cheapie one says 2.4 amps. The Aukey plug I bought thru Amazon is 4.8 amps/24W. So does that mean I can use any 2..... amp plug but the 4.8 amp plug is too much for the car? BTW, I know it's got two usb ports and supposedly they're each 2.4amps. Maybe it's the brand???

Very confused...
Prolly the brand sorry. These things are ALL over the place with their ratings and almost NONE of them actually deliver what they say - or if they do, it's for like 2 weeks. I always end up spending good money on Apple stuff after wasting bad trying to save a few bucks. Meanwhile, though - you can't over draw the socket, it'll blow a fuse - BUT if your device only intends to deliver a certain current and it can't draw enough to supply it - IT may shut off or vary it's output. This is not uncommon for USB adapters cuz so many devices require varying amounts to charge - and it usually is not an easy comparo.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Very confused...
Agree, they are all over the place. I have had great luck with the Griffin 2-port charger, best of all, it's flush with the socket. I'm running mine from the backseat because I have a radar detector in the front. Photo attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GC23089-PowerJolt-Universal/dp/B0042B9U8Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429537858&sr=8-2&keywords=griffin+usb+charger

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case anyone is interested in using their 30 pin MMI cable to hook up their iphone...Here's my latest news...I ordered the 30 pin to lighting adapter, that was too short for my iphone with the case on. Then I ordered a 30 pin to lightning adapter CABLE from Ebay (a lot cheaper than thru Apple or Amazon). Now this fit but it didn't stay in so, I took a nail file and I filed down both sides of the plastic casing right above the connector just until it fit tight into the phone AND TA DA...I can now charge my iphone and control it thru the steering controls and I don't have to spend $60+ for a new lightning MMI cable. I thought I was going to be destined to play my music thru the bluetooth audio...If anyone needs any info on the cable or anything else just PM me

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally ordered a Griffin...Didn't have the one you got but it was similar...worked perfectly. I think there must have been something about the connections when you push it down...Anyway...thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Agree, they are all over the place. I have had great luck with the Griffin 2-port charger, best of all, it's flush with the socket. I'm running mine from the backseat because I have a radar detector in the front. Photo attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GC23089-PowerJolt-Universal/dp/B0042B9U8Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429537858&sr=8-2&keywords=griffin+usb+charger

What are the two things you have plugged in there? I like the look of this.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
914 Posts
How's power delivery with that socket? Sometimes i'd want to charge a phone through it and won't want it to take forever since I know that can be the case at times.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How's power delivery with that socket? Sometimes i'd want to charge a phone through it and won't want it to take forever since I know that can be the case at times.
Power delivery must be high enough, I fastcharge my S6 Edge through it which pulls 9V at 1.67A.

I misunderstood, you were asking about his Griffen adapter. Griffen is a pretty reputable brand so I'm sure it outputs 5V 1amp just fine, maybe even 1.5 amps but not sure if it would do a full 2amps if you're looking for the fastest charge and your phone is capable.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Power delivery must be high enough, I fastcharge my S6 Edge through it which pulls 9V at 1.67A.

I misunderstood, you were asking about his Griffen adapter. Griffen is a pretty reputable brand so I'm sure it outputs 5V 1amp just fine, maybe even 1.5 amps but not sure if it would do a full 2amps if you're looking for the fastest charge and your phone is capable.
Good to know that, someone here with an amp meter might want to test the power it delivers... might even help some folks to gauge how long it'll take to charge their various devices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts