Audi Q3 Forum banner

Cleaning the Interior

12K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  milioncaar 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed when you try and wipe down the console or the dash the cloth leaves behind some dust bunnies? It's not a slick dash or console so you can't just spray it and wipe it. What the heck do you use to clean it?

I've been using Chemical Guys stuff to clean the exterior of my car

#2 ·
I've noticed quite a bit of plasticizer (the main solvent component of the materials used for all man-made bits) on my dash. This is an oily substance that can easily help towels leave lint. And it's what most of us think of the "new car smell" is as this stuff continues to degas as the car ages. You might find a good bit of it on your windows too as a kind of cloudy haze.

I use a solution of 40% isopropyl alcohol and water as a pre-cleaner to catch dust and oils off these surfaces, followed by a moisturizing cleaner with only a little silicones.

#4 ·
Has anyone noticed when you try and wipe down the console or the dash the cloth leaves behind some dust bunnies? It's not a slick dash or console so you can't just spray it and wipe it. What the heck do you use to clean it?
I have struggled with this too... I like the alcohol idea, either mixed with water for the cleaning or also for consumption either during or after the car cleaning...
I typically just use a damp microfiber cloth to go over the interior then follow up with screen cleaner for the "glass" and hard surfaces... I dont know what is best but that works for me... :)

#5 ·
I've actually just been vacuuming the dash with a soft bristled attachment and then using a similar solution to spot clean the buttons, bin lid, etc where finger oils might have smudged things. The aluminum trim gets either a microfiber buff or a tiny bit of the same solution and then buffed if it gets fingerprints, etc on it. The only challenging area for me to keep clean is the plastic cover over the instrument cluster as it seems like everything scratches it, leaves lint or makes it look cloudy/patchy. Still figuring that one out!

Roger, what moisturizing product are you using on your dash? Kind of curious...

#7 ·

Roger, what moisturizing product are you using on your dash? Kind of curious...
I use a couple of Wolf's Nano products that have very little silicones - so leave no oily or shiny surfaces - and a bunch of UV protectants. There are a few like products out there - usually called Interior Detailing stuff -

Reactions: nickjs1984
#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the space in between the wood trim around the gear shift and the plastic trim from getting every little bit of schmutz in the cracks. Every day there's pieces of stuff in there faster than I can vacuum then up. Sometimes I can't get everything out of there. Wish there was something I could cover the gap with to keep the stuff out

#18 ·

I've been using Chemical Guys stuff to clean the exterior of my car
I also used this tool, but now I use Fortador LeatherVinylTrim found advice on using this tool on the blog Car steam cleaning process | What is car steam clean? here Lots of info on interior protectors and leather conditioners, as well as info on Chemical Guys on how best to use it. I advise you to read this article.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.