Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The transformation now nearly as complete as I will make it : this thread will cover the external bits, namely the S-line bumper cover with the addition of an RSQ3 grill. I knew from the day I ordered the car (July 27th) that during the order time, I'd be procuring S-line parts not yet available for the NAR yet - namely, the sports steering wheel, gearshift surround, door sill trim panels, front bumper cover and fog-light grills. I did NOT want to change rocker panels and rear bumper under-fascia just yet (and may not in the end). The biggest reason for me to do this was first function (as in the wheel and shift lever) and form (the front bumper cover and grill). I realize that these are all entirely subjective, but knowing Audi now for a few decades has provided me my own perspective and taste.

The steering wheel went on even before I picked up the car, as did the door sill covers. The e-code rear lamps went on a week or so later and now the front bumper cover and RSQ3 grill are on as shown below.

I got a used bumper cover from the UK that I found in reasonably good shape and for about 10 cents on the dollar to a new one. Shipping however was a bit stout, but in the end I was still ahead by two-thirds if even I could get one in the US (which right now you cannot). I had a friend procure the fitment bits for the bumper cover also in the UK and he was also kind enough to ship them well-packed for me.

Inspired by CortinaQ3 I took a chance on an RSQ3 grill that was not supposed to fit an S-line bumper cover, but looked (and measured) that it could. It did - mostly. The used bumper cover was prepared, repaired (in a few places) and re-finished in my new car color Tundra Brown, while the car was getting it's first few miles (161 to be exact).

During the fit-up of the grill we noticed the bottom horizontal section of the S-line vent would not fit over the RSQ3 grill, so we had to make some slight modifications - notably the bottom ridge had to be trimmed about a 1/2" along its vertical rise across the entire horizontal lip. See pics below where it's marked with a red line and pointed out with yellow arrows. The blue arrows show a couple vertical gussets that had to be trimmed back about a 1/4" to allow the bottom vent to seat fully.

Other than that, the only other item was the plastic cover for the bumper proper - the large aluminum cross member - is a bit taller in vertical profile than the EU one, so the cover for an RSQ3 will NOT work. We simply sprayed the bumper with matte black paint as shown (this was just the tack coat - there were 4 more) - which would save about $40 anyway (and works just fine).

...and here's the final outcome - a bit more aggressive fog-light grills and the RSQ3 grill - MUCH cleaner in front - and lucky for me, we don't run a front plate in SC, so no risks there -

·
Registered
142 Posts
Love it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Looks great and thanks for the detailed write up on it. I have to say that having no front license plate makes a big difference. We need to have one on the front in Ontario though :(

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The RSQ3 grill DOES come with a very simplified front plate accommodation (same as on the EU car) - so you CAN obtain almost the same visual impact as this if you like it...
Still SO much cleaner in front -

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a back-to-back, actually front-to-front comparison -

here's the normal :

and then the S-line :

·
Registered
35 Posts
this looks great!!! I wish I had had the time/confidence to get mine installed a lot sooner... but hey, life happens lol. I'm REALLY jealous of that color!

btw, FINALLY got mine installed today!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just out of curiosity, in Massachusetts you need two plates. Where do you put the plate holder?
In the EU too, you need to run a front plate; there is a special front plate holder and even with it, this grill looks so much cleaner ...

·
Super Moderator
148 Posts
Yo AMILL, any interest in doing VCDS mods? I wanna do it but i don't know how to do it. I will be ordering the connector kis this week but have no idea how to actually do the mods.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Doesn't look hard and I'd be up to the challenge EXCEPT if you accidentally screw this up according to Roger there might be dire consequences. I'll talk to my son and his friends (they're members of Yuppy Racing and they all work on their own cars) and see if they could possibly do it. One of his friends is going to install the kit for my MMI screen so it folds down. Hopefully it's coming from overseas any day now. I wish I had the tools to do the grille replacement!!! That was way cool looking...

NICE RED SOX PLATE BTW..... :)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yo AMILL, any interest in doing VCDS mods? I wanna do it but i don't know how to do it. I will be ordering the connector kis this week but have no idea how to actually do the mods.
As I said earlier, check Audizine or Quattroworld - there must be dozens of AoA members in Boston that'd be delighted to meet y'all and walk you thru some VCDS stuff with zero risk ... Plus you get to meet some new other-Audi friends too. Even your dealer could be a source for some local help with it...

Reactions: Quatto

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey Roger,

Do you have the parts numbers for s-line "aluminum" door sills for front and rear doors?

How are they installed? Just double sided over the old ones?

·
Registered
914 Posts
As I said earlier, check Audizine or Quattroworld - there must be dozens of AoA members in Boston that'd be delighted to meet y'all and walk you thru some VCDS stuff with zero risk ... Plus you get to meet some new other-Audi friends too. Even your dealer could be a source for some local help with it...
speaking to the higher-up folks at the dealer might help to accomplish this, service manager, sales manager or someone along those lines.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey Roger,

Do you have the parts numbers for s-line "aluminum" door sills for front and rear doors?

How are they installed? Just double sided over the old ones?
The ones I have are Chinese over-covers (ebay) that are applied with double-stick tape over the plastic covers. The real S-line sills simply replace the ones you have and say S-line on them. I went with these BECAUSE they covered the much larger plastic thresholds instead of just replacing the existing ones which in my experience don't protect hardly enough... They were about $100 and are real stainless steel (400 series though).

Reactions: Tanqueray

·
Registered
264 Posts
The ones I have are Chinese over-covers (ebay) that are applied with double-stick tape over the plastic covers. The real S-line sills simply replace the ones you have and say S-line on them. I went with these BECAUSE they covered the much larger plastic thresholds instead of just replacing the existing ones which in my experience don't protect hardly enough... They were about $100 and are real stainless steel (400 series though).
How do you like them so far? Do they look tacky or is it noticeable that they are attached by double sided tapes?

Which ebay vendor did you use?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They look good - great fit, not obvious with the tape and protect well. Most folks think they're part of the car although I know different. They're worth it to me not for the S-line badging, but really rather the protection. Both my other Audis have the thresholds scratched/scuffed up more than I'd like, and each with less than 16K miles... These work. The link I included above are the ones I have. Others are cheaper and may not be SS or a cheaper or thinner version...mine are heavy gauge (prolly 14-16 ga).

·
Registered
264 Posts
They look good - great fit, not obvious with the tape and protect well. Most folks think they're part of the car although I know different. They're worth it to me not for the S-line badging, but really rather the protection. Both my other Audis have the thresholds scratched/scuffed up more than I'd like, and each with less than 16K miles... These work. The link I included above are the ones I have. Others are cheaper and may not be SS or a cheaper or thinner version...mine are heavy gauge (prolly 14-16 ga).
Oh, oops. I didn't see the link :eek:

I also want door sills for protection but wanted something OEM-ish, hence "s-line" I would actually prefer something that says AUDI or Q3 rather than S-line for my non-s-line Q3.

I have another question Roger. Do you know the parts number for the sills that are on the actual side skirts? Not the sills that we are talking about previously, but the ones that are step down from the s-line sills that are attached to the side skirts. Mine are black plastic but yours have silver trim on the black plastic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts