Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Audi Q3 gets generally good reviews, but that doesn't mean that it is a perfect car. I've been doing some surveying of reviews on the Audi Q3, and have picked out some common criticisms of the car. First I'll list them here and then we can get some feedback from owners and figure out whether those criticisms hold up in real life.

Top gear gave the Audi Q3 a mediocre 5/10, which I was surprised at. They criticize the Audi Q3 for being larger than it appears. This means that it can be hard to maneuver on small streets and is harder to park than the Audi Q3. They also criticize the Q3 for having a nice, but boring interior, as is typical for Audi vehicles. In the end, Top Gear recommends the Lexus CT 200h before the Audi Q3.

Other publications have similar things to say. The conservative and safe styling is often brought up. Auto Express went so far as to say that the interior was dated. Ultimately most reviewers say that the mundane styling of the Audi Q3 is hiding what is a decent car underneath.

Another area of concern was at the pricey options list. The options can get really pricey quite quickly, so consumers are encouraged to be smart about the options that they choose for their Q3. ON the price and value front, it is also said that the Q3 loses resale value quickly because of a large number of Audi models currently in the company's lineup.

To wrap up, there was also some talk of a small cargo area as well as awkward placement of some controls (e.g. the climate control and the MMI knob). Some publication also said that the handling could be sportier.

So, are these fair criticisms? Do they line up with your experience of the Audi Q3?

·
Registered
451 Posts

The Audi Q3 gets generally good reviews, but that doesn't mean that it is a perfect car. I've been doing some surveying of reviews on the Audi Q3, and have picked out some common criticisms of the car. First I'll list them here and then we can get some feedback from owners and figure out whether those criticisms hold up in real life.

Top gear gave the Audi Q3 a mediocre 5/10, which I was surprised at. They criticize the Audi Q3 for being larger than it appears. This means that it can be hard to maneuver on small streets and is harder to park than the Audi Q3. They also criticize the Q3 for having a nice, but boring interior, as is typical for Audi vehicles. In the end, Top Gear recommends the Lexus CT 200h before the Audi Q3.

Other publications have similar things to say. The conservative and safe styling is often brought up. Auto Express went so far as to say that the interior was dated. Ultimately most reviewers say that the mundane styling of the Audi Q3 is hiding what is a decent car underneath.

Another area of concern was at the pricey options list. The options can get really pricey quite quickly, so consumers are encouraged to be smart about the options that they choose for their Q3. ON the price and value front, it is also said that the Q3 loses resale value quickly because of a large number of Audi models currently in the company's lineup.

To wrap up, there was also some talk of a small cargo area as well as awkward placement of some controls (e.g. the climate control and the MMI knob). Some publication also said that the handling could be sportier.

So, are these fair criticisms? Do they line up with your experience of the Audi Q3?

Top Gear is nuts.

First - The Q3 is brand new to the USA, so don't compare it to it's EU cousin
Second - The Lexus is only front wheel drive and is a sportwagen
Third - The options on the Lexus easily outprice the Q3.
Fourth - The Brits drive on the wrong side of the road.

Done.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Great four rings comeback - love it!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Like others here and the OP this is not what i would have expected coming form Top Gear, even more surprised that they brought in the Lexus CT into this and not the NX as I see the NX being a more direct competitior.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No thats exactly what I expect from Top Gear, they tend to rag on anything remotely practical LOL. We love them because they're crazy...

Whats funny is that they say the interior is mundane, but if they went beyond mundane they would of been harangued for over styling. They're just rags, best make your own decisions with your own first hand experiences...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah that's what it all comes down to, becoming well informed and making your own choice to what you really want.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as styling goes I agree. Before you even test drive a car the one thing you can make your own opinion about styling. I do agree that the styling is a bit conservative, but for many people that is what they are looking for.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yup.

To some the XE will be bland and have little life to it.
Meanwhile that same person will look at a 3 series or even a C-Class and have their eyes light up to something that really stands out (to them)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The big 3 German brands don't make cars that really stand out that much. Sure they are beautiful, but they are attempting to appeal to a wide audience and you don't usually do that by making a car that really stands out. People usually want to look nice but blend in with the crowd a bit. It's the top tier halo cars and more specialty brands that make cars that stand out. Or some of the more niche affordable cars. I just don't think that commenting on the design holds much water.

I do hope that Audi differentiates their models better as they refresh their lineup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Of the 2 German brands I might consider, from a styling standpoint Audi gets the nod. Why? I usually keep cars a long time and Audis stay fresh a lot longer, IMO. If that's conservative I can deal with it. :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
I find that is the case too, they age well, outgoing models still look fresh to me even years after it's successor comes out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of the 2 German brands I might consider, from a styling standpoint Audi gets the nod. Why? I usually keep cars a long time and Audis stay fresh a lot longer, IMO. If that's conservative I can deal with it. :)
What's the other brand that you would consider?

I do think that Audi has got a style right now that will age well. Better than Mercedes-Benz. BMW is somewhere in the middle of those two IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Both M-B and BMW are hard to consider; the 1st is a geezer car and I'm old enough to qualify!, and perhaps too 'visible' at a divisive time; BMW I'd consider, maybe.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find the design of BMWs more appealing than that of Mercedes-Benz. I think that basically all of Audi's vehicles are great looking, but with BMW they have hits and misses IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I find the design of BMWs more appealing than that of Mercedes-Benz. I think that basically all of Audi's vehicles are great looking, but with BMW they have hits and misses IMO.
I agree ... The 4 series is pretty nice outside, but inside I still like the older cars - I like the i8 pretty well - even inside is not too bad -

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The i8 is an awesome car. Its also really really expensive. I imagine that Audi will come out with something similar in the future though. By that I mean an electric sports car or super car. Hopefully Audi will take that opportunity to show us some new design ideas as well.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I agree ... The 4 series is pretty nice outside, but inside I still like the older cars - I like the i8 pretty well - even inside is not too bad -
Interior design and layout is what they have to work on more, it's one thing about BMW that i don't like, but their vehicles as a whole are still nice enough for me to serious consider.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I looked at MB GLA, Lexus NX, BMW X1, and even Jeep Cherokee. Audi won me over the minute I started the car for the test drive. IMO, fun to drive, best value for a "loaded" car, and the one I could imagine myself being happy with for years to come. I traded in a V6 for it, and have not regretted the decision for a second. It also sails over our bumpy Texas roads that seem to always be under construction. I love Top Gear, but they often favor some unlikely picks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I looked at MB GLA, Lexus NX, BMW X1, and even Jeep Cherokee. Audi won me over the minute I started the car for the test drive. IMO, fun to drive, best value for a "loaded" car, and the one I could imagine myself being happy with for years to come. I traded in a V6 for it, and have not regretted the decision for a second. It also sails over our bumpy Texas roads that seem to always be under construction. I love Top Gear, but they often favor some unlikely picks.
Since I'm also a new Q3 owner, I don't think the Q3 is loaded as compared to the others. 2 major points with me are the lack of homelink and memory seats.

Lucky for me I have my connection that's looking into adding an Audi memory seat module and the homelink is an easy fix.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts