Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I haven't even had the car a year and there's already a hole in the debris screen of the sunroof. Anyone else had that issue? And get this.... I called the dealer. He has to get an authorization from Audi and then he has to SEND THE CAR BACK TO AUDI TO LOOK AT IT!! Can you believe that?

I told him as long as I have a loaner car do whatever you have to do to fix it. I had a similar screen on my BMW and in the 10 years I owned it it NEVER ripped.

The dealer said he thinks there was too much tension when the sunroof opened and that's why it ripped. It couldn't have been a rock because the hole it on the side of the fabric not on the front where a rock could hit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You talking about the wind deflector?

·
Registered
262 Posts
We have not had that issue on My wife's Q3 however once, on my wife's Jeep, we had a rock thrown up from a mower where my wife used to teach... The rock actually chipped side window deflector. So if the tension theory doesn't play out then it could have come from something like that... Good news was that it didn't hit the window!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hard to have a rock get thrown at the edge of your sunroof in order to get that rip. At least your dealer is willing to get it fixed. Is it coming out of your pocket or theirs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I guess you would also call it a wind deflector. I called the dealer and he's ordering the part. Didn't have any problems at least that's the impression I got. He's just ordering the part right now. I'll make triple sure it's covered by the warranty before it's installed.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
... It couldn't have been a rock because the hole it on the side of the fabric not on the front where a rock could hit.
Are you sure you didn't drive thru a gaggle of Boomerocks? They could've done this while you weren't even looking ...

;) got any pics? I'd love to show the Tech folks around here -

·
Registered
302 Posts
Must be a pretty big and sharp rock to make that rip.
Agreed! I'd say you were actually quite lucky to have only the tear in your wind deflector....it could have been much worse.

Tough to tell from the picture how far on the "side" it is, but it looks to be easily in range of any missile coughed up by other road traffic.

If you were living in Phoenix, I'd have even greater concerns.....:mad:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys think it was a rock? The tech said he thought there was too much tension on the fabric when the sunroof opened. Oh well.... Always something it seems

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Yikes - I agree that that was a projectile of some sort - NOT even close to a tension problem. But hey, the tension issue gets a warranty replacement compared with you chasing your insurance company and handling a collision deductible -

Go with tension, so you don't have any :D

Reactions: Ohio Joe

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah, I would think tension is warranty. vs rock is insurance but youll have a deductible to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts