Audi Q3 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I have actually TWO questions for the OP.
The first is about his installation of an R8 steering wheel into his Q3. These are VERY different platforms and while the steering column splines and airbag plugs are common to most Audis, the rest of the buttons on the wheels are usually very differently wired and/or coded - hence my questions about that. I just wonder how many of the buttons function either the same or at all from the new wheel to the older column - my guess is that the Start/Stop, ADS, Sport and a few other buttons won't work at all, and some of the others may have limited functionality and I want to know how much. From his post he certainly has MANY R8 steering wheels about, so slapping one on to his Q3 would be fun even if none of the buttons worked ... anyway that's a curiosity for me.

As for the ADS query, many folks who do not live in the NAR (where ADS is standard) have asked about the 'simple code' fix for this, including referring to the strange Russian YouTube video claiming to have hacked in and has it working. Those sources mysteriously cannot reveal the real answers and even those with a post-sale installation kit from Audi don't have access to the code - as it too is VIN dependent from an Audi VAS/ODIS server direct to that specific car the kit was bought for (by VIN). All that notwithstanding, and my posts on the hack method are clear on MY position, I am STILL curious about any car that supposedly or really does have a post-sale ADS mod working. Even if that person did have the SVM coded by Audi for this, a simple scan of long codes AND all channel adaptations (label files) would reveal the coding, which if security access is also available, VCDS can code.

What do you mean by "correct parameter set (like maps in engine ECU)?" These are NOT programmed for ADS - they are accessed by ADS. I know that VCDS CAN access and code all control modules (CAN Bus - NOT ECUs) with any coding in all channels and long code that Audi does even with ODIS. VAS and ODIS use SVMs which provide batch coding, but really have no more access to channels and long coding than VCDS - provided all level access is available (e.g.security passcodes). It's really just a matter of knowing the long codes and adaptations (channel values) - and these can be scanned or read with a label file.

Again, ECU programming is NOT re-coded for ADS, it is simply addressed by the control modules using ADS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wrote about ADS on Q3.
Modern VAG vehicles have not only coding and adaptations it have one more "parameterization" procedure which is partial software update, more precise - calibration data reflashing. This data are used by software running in control module, and if there is no calibration data(parameter set) for ADS - ADS (partial software module inside control unit) will not start even if you code it as present

VCDS can't do partial reflashing procedure - so it can't write "parameter set"

I know exactly what I am talking about - I am software developer for VAG vehicle retrofitting, and tigerlux activate his ADS with my SW, and even "strange Russian video" was made with using previous professional version of our Can-Connect SW.

Can-Connect - free SW for car owners(we have some professional version too), but for activation ADS on Audi Q3 we ask some small fee(about 40 USD)
SW works with low cost adapter Cabels like OBD Link SX for example.
You can download SW and look actual activation list - it is filling up and not translated well yet - Free version is quite young project

Since you are moderator - you can remove last part if this is prohibited(sorry if so)

·
Registered
5 Posts
BTW: your misunderstaning is partially my folgt - I fogot that ECU is one meaning in EU/US(Engine control unit),
I used this abbreviation automatically for me it means an electronic control unit

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Okay thanks for clarifying the ECU difference - not really unusual as there a few different abbreviations for the Engine Control Unit/Module etc... You are the first person to explain some of this to me and/or others who are asking about it so MANY THANKS for your contributions on this. Oh, and btw, welcome to the forum too - I for one am glad that some serious skill sets are looking around here to keep us straight. While I am an experienced VAGCOM/VCDS user and actually have some friends who work for R-T, I am NOT a software developer, just an engineer - but understand this stuff fairly well.

So you are saying that the Control Modules for ADS need parameterizations (or software flashing) to run - and activation is NOT thru the green menu setup for Charisma? I previously believed that that set up would load the parameter set - but if not, then I see why you need to do this as the PROM for it must be actually empty. I had not thought that before. I suppose it's sensible enough as I've seen similar kinds of "coding blanks" or "Implausible Data" on other system control modules (i.e. J519) for things like dynamic turn signals ...which some aftermarket (post-sale) folks develop hard-wired piggyback modules for.

I guess lastly I'm a bit curious why VCDS wouldn't at some time be able to accomplish the parameterizations, but that's really an R-T thing and maybe that crosses the hacking bridge from a legal perspective ... Of which and to your last comment about editing your post, I am NOT a lawyer either. If YOU know that CAN-Connect is illegal in any jurisdiction or hacks legally protected Audi code or programming, please let me know. So, unless or until someone with a legal notion requests it, your post shall remain un-censored by me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Q3 is transitional model between old arhitecture (like A4/A5/Q5 before FL where we have full SW package and coding defines which SW modules need to be used) , and new SWaP model(MLB,MQB) where we have individual digital signed "Function Activation Key" with VIN number inside.
VAG goal is sell all aftersales activations as product via dealers workshop, so they are trying to exclude all third-party retrofitting of original features - they do that slow, but secure

Main reason why VCDS not have this function - this "parameter sets" are quite unique for exact vehicle (as I say before) , big , and very dangerous to playing around, data inside of them not documented anywhere. For example Audi Q3 ADS parameter set contains 3 binary datablocks 256,150 and 10 bytes - I don't think some one without skill ready to edit this manually ))) Today retrofit programming of original spare parts, technically same as engine chip tuning, that is why I say "like maps in ECU"

As for legal side - only third-party DATA have own licensing (navigation data, gps license, traffic license etc.) as for all else - I believe we can modify own property (vehicle) as much as we wish, at least as far as I know ))
My note was about third-party links for outside webside (some forums don't like this)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Green menu - do not load anything, just mark some modules that already INSIDE, for execute, and if there is nothing inside, how do you think? BTW not MMI is the master unit for ADS

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have actually TWO questions for the OP.
The first is about his installation of an R8 steering wheel into his Q3. These are VERY different platforms and while the steering column splines and airbag plugs are common to most Audis, the rest of the buttons on the wheels are usually very differently wired and/or coded - hence my questions about that. I just wonder how many of the buttons function either the same or at all from the new wheel to the older column - my guess is that the Start/Stop, ADS, Sport and a few other buttons won't work at all, and some of the others may have limited functionality and I want to know how much. From his post he certainly has MANY R8 steering wheels about, so slapping one on to his Q3 would be fun even if none of the buttons worked ... anyway that's a curiosity for me.

As for the ADS query, many folks who do not live in the NAR (where ADS is standard) have asked about the 'simple code' fix for this, including referring to the strange Russian YouTube video claiming to have hacked in and has it working. Those sources mysteriously cannot reveal the real answers and even those with a post-sale installation kit from Audi don't have access to the code - as it too is VIN dependent from an Audi VAS/ODIS server direct to that specific car the kit was bought for (by VIN). All that notwithstanding, and my posts on the hack method are clear on MY position, I am STILL curious about any car that supposedly or really does have a post-sale ADS mod working. Even if that person did have the SVM coded by Audi for this, a simple scan of long codes AND all channel adaptations (label files) would reveal the coding, which if security access is also available, VCDS can code.

What do you mean by "correct parameter set (like maps in engine ECU)?" These are NOT programmed for ADS - they are accessed by ADS. I know that VCDS CAN access and code all control modules (CAN Bus - NOT ECUs) with any coding in all channels and long code that Audi does even with ODIS. VAS and ODIS use SVMs which provide batch coding, but really have no more access to channels and long coding than VCDS - provided all level access is available (e.g.security passcodes). It's really just a matter of knowing the long codes and adaptations (channel values) - and these can be scanned or read with a label file.

Again, ECU programming is NOT re-coded for ADS, it is simply addressed by the control modules using ADS.

You think too simple , SVM software version management is AUDI module parameter data determined these VCDS is powerless. You must ODIS-E to write the XML parameter data to activate the ADS.

All my R8 steering wheel buttons are working properly , I installed the steering wheel because I also transformed the KESSY system, you can achieve the perfect steering wheel to start the car . All keys will work . In addition to the bottom of the track pattern and tail control .

I was in China Q3 forum posts , I do not know whether you can browse

http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2951-52216214-1.html

http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2951-52556837-1.html

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
WOW - I AM simple - have always said so. As I noted to ladan, I'm no software developer - but an old engineer who sorta understands pretty well. You guys MUST be young - I'd've tried this kinda stuff when I was your age - perhaps 40 years ago! - but now I just wanna watch y'all have at it. HEY EVERYBODY WATCHING - please check out kikisi's links - thank Google for translating - and LOVE what he's done. Man O man what ambition !!

Now - back at you kikisi : I already have KESSY and ADS, how difficult would it be to retrofit an R8 steering wheel to my car - it looked like you had a small wiring extension from the R8 Start/Stop to the main plugin - is that right? Is it easily fixed and can I make any necessary code changes for the R8 steering wheel with VCDS (which I notice you use also, along with ODIS - which I don't have)?

Thanks for the enlightenment - I LOVE learning new stuff ...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Q3 is transitional model between old arhitecture (like A4/A5/Q5 before FL where we have full SW package and coding defines which SW modules need to be used) , and new SWaP model(MLB,MQB) where we have individual digital signed "Function Activation Key" with VIN number inside.
VAG goal is sell all aftersales activations as product via dealers workshop, so they are trying to exclude all third-party retrofitting of original features - they do that slow, but secure

Main reason why VCDS not have this function - this "parameter sets" are quite unique for exact vehicle (as I say before) , big , and very dangerous to playing around, data inside of them not documented anywhere. For example Audi Q3 ADS parameter set contains 3 binary datablocks 256,150 and 10 bytes - I don't think some one without skill ready to edit this manually ))) Today retrofit programming of original spare parts, technically same as engine chip tuning, that is why I say "like maps in ECU"

As for legal side - only third-party DATA have own licensing (navigation data, gps license, traffic license etc.) as for all else - I believe we can modify own property (vehicle) as much as we wish, at least as far as I know ))
My note was about third-party links for outside webside (some forums don't like this)
Thanks for additional info - I LOVE learning from folks who know more than me. As for legal - just refer to our terms of use - 3rd party links are okay - I moderate them somewhat to be sure they really relate to the forum and are not SPAM (blatantly illegal or immoral :nerd:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anybody have the AU316 Audi Q3 project files for ODIS? I don't have it to enable ADS

·
Registered
45 Posts
I finally enabled ADS with Efficiensy, Auto, Comfort and Dynamic modes. I found info on a Russian site and did it using a single cheap ELM327 bluetooth dongle bought on the net. Seems to work ok, you notice the throttle response. Don't want to advertise, if anyone needs information, ask through PM, unless moderators want to write the way here and the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally enabled ADS with Efficiensy, Auto, Comfort and Dynamic modes. I found info on a Russian site and did it using a single cheap ELM327 bluetooth dongle bought on the net. Seems to work ok, you notice the throttle response. Don't want to advertise, if anyone needs information, ask through PM, unless moderators want to write the way here and the site.
Can you please PM the details? Looks like I don't have enough posts to PM others.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have a PM, I think it's not correct to post here because it will be considered as an advertisement, unless different advice from moderators.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Kostas-k, can you pm me the details please?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey kostas-k, can you also.. please PM me the details too. so looking forward to get this feature on my Q3.
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey kostas-k, can you also.. please PM me the details too. so looking forward to get this feature on my Q3.
Thanks a lot!
Sent

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H850 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 110 Posts