Audi Q3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
As others have noted, the proximity sensors will NOT allow a key to be locked inside the car UNLESS a rear door was manually locked prior to exit. Now, this of course is presuming the proximity sensors are working correctly AND the key is actually coded to the car - that is it works as an advanced key should - i.e. with the push button start and finger swipe of the door sensor etc. -

If the proximity sensor is awol or not working then all/any of the above may work or not - this is NOT a function of ARA any more than your next door neighbor being able to help...

do hope you get/got/will get resolution though - and btw, WELCOME to the forum - we'd love to hear more from you :)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
My daughter put her baby in her Audi Q7 and shut the door as soon as she shut the door the car completely locked up. The fob her phone, my purse and phone all in the car with the baby. We had to call the fire department. We had not touched the fob as it was in her diaper bag when she went to get into the car. This is the second time this has happened. The first time Audi said it was because both of the fobs were in the car. We tried to replicate the situation with me in the car with no success. Obviously there is a problem with their program. Tomorrow Audi is going to get an earful from my daughter as she is very upset thinking what could happen if this would have happened in Arizona where she lives on a hot summer day. A car should not lock with the fob inside. Scary.
First, welcome to our forum and glad you found us. Second the issue can be at times when the fob battery is dead or dying and the car cannot recognize it as a 'key' and this can happen. This is true for ALL cars and systems as the central locking is not a passive system like the ignition is. That means it needs power at the fob (good battery) to work. The ignition system is passive in that it just needs to be very close (within its car-generated field) to be recognized as an ignition key. These are two separate functions.

While I am sympathetic to reasons why it can be both frustrating and worrisome, I also feel it's the owner's responsibility to keep the car and its accessories (including key fob batteries) working correctly for full functionality to be laid at the feet of the manufacturer...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Well - first, let me welcome you to the forum, where I'm actually glad you found us and hope you visit some more to learn about Audi Q3s, or just observe stuff and info.

To your point, if you just pull any door handle TWICE it will manually unlock THAT door. I believe this is a SAFETY FEATURE from the US DOT and not Audi. Many cars (especially Audi, BMW and Mercedes) have what is called a double-bolt lock for additional safety particularly in an accident, and when these are fitted, they require a double-open to unlock if they have been locked electrically and not unlocked (as if you were say, in the back seat and someone DID lock them from outside). If an airbag has been deployed, then they all unlock before the battery is interrupted. I just tested this on four vehicles in our showroom, and they all worked as I just described ...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum - hope you come back too -

I think what happened in your case is also a 'feature' but not sure if the way you did it would or could be considered as such. Here's what I think. When you unlock the car, it is imagining that you will shortly open the driver door first - as most folks normally would. If you have the car set in the driver door mode, the rest of the doors remain locked. And you would normally have to unlock them with a second open command, either from the fob, or the inside door unlock button. A second swipe of the door handle will re-lock the car. Now, once the driver door is unlocked, you have about 20-30 seconds to open THAT door. If you fail to do this, the car will re-lock itself to protect itself from an unintended or delayed by other circumstance (car jacker interrupting you for example) unlocking. So, if you have the car set to open all doors when you unlock it, and STILL do not open the driver door first, whilst opening a rear door within that 20-30 sec time, it is possible to re-lock by itself. I don't think a software update will fix this - as it will be recoded to behave the same way. Now when you do what I just described, your key NOW in the back seat, may be outside the recognized zone and could be subject to being ignored - ALTHOUGH I do NOT think this is normally possible.

Lastly, while not normal (meaning the dealer is not likely to help you with this) I think that the re-lock delay timing can be either adjusted or bypassed, but not within the MMI system, rather thru external (e.g. VCDS) coding. Meanwhile, I'd leave the car set to unlock ONLY the driver door (you can do this in MMI) so that in order to unlock the others, you'd almost always have to open the driver door (satisfying that delay interrupt) and using the unlock button on the inside of the door. btw, I believe the second fob push to unlock the rest of the doors also satisfies the delay interrupt...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Your keys will likely need to be re-coded to the car. When the voltage to the Instruments module goes below (IIRC 11 volts -which is NOT that low) this has been know to happen. The dealer can fix and if under warranty -no issue. Then just be careful as battery ages (and unfortunately is individual to the battery) watch carefully. The dealer can scan for low-voltage events and give you a periodic heads-up ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.