Audi Q3 Forum banner

Electronic Trunk Retro?

12K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  boxbrownie 
#1 ·
Roger,

With your parts access and knowledge, do you think you could get a list of parts required for retrofitting the electric trunk?

There is a UK company that will retrofit inc parts for £1200 and that seems extortionate! :D

#2 ·
Cough up CoCo..........you should'a ticked the box :D

#4 ·
Yes, the retro fit is crazy money but I guess its a fair bit of mechanical kit also, powered rams etc..........best wait for a hard front ender to turn up in a scrappy.

Oooo Matron :D

#5 · (Edited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPops
Roger,

With your parts access and knowledge, do you think you could get a list of parts required for retrofitting the electric trunk?

There is a UK company that will retrofit inc parts for £1200 and that seems extortionate! :D

Lee - I can't check until Sunday night late - I'm in Daytona for the 24hr race, but will get to it late Sunday or Monday morning. I agree that £1200 seems extortionate! This is especially true since it was only $400 as an option here...

#6 ·
Jealous, where was my invite?

I once drove in Daytona beach in a Corvette convertible, and drove past Daytona, that's as close as I've got to Daytona raceway!

Next time tho eh? ;)

#8 ·
That's about right, it's a £350 option here but standard on higher level models.

A lot of people moan that it cannot be shut using the remote key fob, but in actual fact it can but you have to use a continous push until it's closed, shame really as all the other remote lids I have had just needed the one "click" to close.

Might be a VCDS fiddle though?

#11 · (Edited)
Wow - Lee, You're NOT gonna like this : From what I can see, It's really not too hard, but man the driver-struts are way expensive. Here's what I can find that seems to differ.

Driver- Struts : 8U0827851 - you need 2, they're not handed - $680 each
Boot Lid harness : 8U0971148BM - $380 - but you MAY be able to get a way without this.
Switch in Boot Lid trim : 4G0959831B - price on request - which usually means it's not available - but this shouldn't be really expensive, perhaps $75
Control Module for Liftgate : 8U0959107 - $451
Bracket for above : 8U0907455 - $16

Total : $2282 - right now about £1513 - :eek: I swear, NO tricks -:nerd: - this is whacked -
You should be able to get a discount from your Audi dealer, usually 10-15%, so that could help, but I am really surprised at both the driver-strut prices and the wiring harness price...

Here's the module scan from my car ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 6D: Trunk Elect. (----) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8U0 959 107 HW: 8U0 959 107
Component: HDSG-Modul H01 0549
Revision: 15001001 Serial number: 269400890
Coding: 183307C122
Shop #: WSC 00049 770 00188
ASAM Dataset: EV_HDSGAU316 001001
ROD: EV_HDSGAU316.rod
VCID: 7CFCE772F799C0C1333-8029

No fault code found.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
But thank you!

Appreciate your time looking.
Might keep an eye out for facelift cars being broken in the future...

#14 ·
£1434 inc VAT from HazzyDayz........and thats fitted of course, bit of a bargain then eh?

;)

#15 ·
One point..........does the standard key have the trunk release button on it? If not then you need to factor in that cost as well, if they do have the trunk release button....WHY?

#16 ·
The standard key does have the 'release' button, but it only unlocks it. You still have to go over and pull it up. This is the same as my TT too. In fact it's the same key case, but the guts are a bit different in the Q3 to handle all the Advanced Comfort Key functions as the one that sticks into the dash...

#18 ·
Interesting, I did a quick google for prices...

ECSTuning.com had better prices:
Controller 8U0959107 - $311
Drive Unit 8U0827851 (x2) $422.28
Harness 8U0971148BM - $262.20
Switch 4G0959831B - €48.25 (cheaper euro price)
Bracket 8u0907455 $12

For the above is around $1360 or £900

Kufatec have the loom for 149Euro as well, so that would bring price down.
They also supply instruction pdfs.

Granted it's still a way off, but a bit more achievable.

#20 ·
Can someone with an electric tailgate take the following photos for me?
Lifters(gas struts)
Switch location
Hinges

Thankyou :)

Just trying to work out how it actually goes together.

Kufatec won't supply instructions until you've bought the loom.... But I want to see how viable it is before I start stumping up cash.

#21 ·
I'll take some tomorrow if you like matey, not a lot to see really, the struts look almost the same (a bit thicker) and have cables coming out the tops and into the bodywork (where the normal trunk cabling is each side), the hinges look identical AFAIR, there is a switch on the drivers door low down below the window switch area and a switch on the liftgate to the right of the latch area (you might have a relieved section on the standard trim).

Looking at the parts cat its not very clear what bits of loom you need extra and where they go!

#22 ·
Thanks bb.

I also need to check I have the mount points as j understand the lifters bolt slightly diff location.

#23 ·
Surely not, that would mean either different body stamping or liftgate stamping......might have different brackets possibly at the body end, I cannot see the liftgate end being to different as there is not much room in the body gap.

#24 ·
Anyhoooo, we'll check it out tomorrow..........too bloody cold out there now

#25 ·
I'd go right out and do it now, but the Q is off getting more clear bra to the front bumper (now that paint has cured) and rockers ...

#26 ·
I forgot to say, bloody cold and pitch black.

If your Q3 needs a bra then the front overiders must be a treat for the eyes!

>:D

#29 ·
Well I did try to post here, but still waiting for a mod to wake up and approve the pictures :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.