Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports is reporting that car owners are reporting their 2010-2014 Audi A3s, A4s, A5s, A6s, and Q5s are experiencing excessive oil consumption.

"Excessive" is this case meaning more than a "quart of oil or more between oil changes."

The Audi engines noted were the 2.0 turbocharged 4-cylinder and the 3.0 V6.

What has been the experience for the Audi owners on this forum?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think that your best bet would be to check out the Tiquan forums. Since it has been here a long time.
But VAG does improve things from year to year.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I think that your best bet would be to check out the Tiquan forums. Since it has been here a long time.
But VAG does improve things from year to year.
Improvements are indeed what we can depend on, if not a complete resolution, there might be some reduction in its oil consumption.

As for topping up, I think some dealers will do it for free. Beats paying for all that oil which over time can add up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have heard of this but I thought that Audi fixed it in 2011-2012 (maybe earlier?). Personally I don't think that either of our Audi's have used a drop of oil yet... I think that there are TSB's out on this and also a class-action suit which was settled earlier this year so if you googled it you would probably find more stuff that you would care to read....

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
My 2009 TT has the older 2.0 FSI (BPY) engine and it uses NO oil - neither does my S5 FSI or my Q3 TFSI ...

They are all driven hard, like the Germans intended - >:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
I read that its not just Audi, its many of the German companies. I wonder if there is something common to these companies that is the reason that all the companies are having excessive oil use. Are they all having this issue because of the same thing.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I read that its not just Audi, its many of the German companies. I wonder if there is something common to these companies that is the reason that all the companies are having excessive oil use. Are they all having this issue because of the same thing.
Not sure what it is but definitely worth some investigation.

for now i wouldn't be all too surprised if folks are using thicker oil to help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2011 GTI with the same exact 2.0 never burned any oil. However my 1999 VW Jetta burned oil like mad, and my current S4 4.2 also consumes a decent amount of oil. It tends to be a characteristic of the two brands, but it's been mostly phased out over the years with various technological advancements/improvements. I haven't seen/noticed any oil consumption in our personal Q3.

Side note: why are the service intervals for the Q3 every 5k miles? The service intervals for my GTI were every 10k miles... Seems like we're just throwing away good oil on these cars every 5k miles!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

Side note: why are the service intervals for the Q3 every 5k miles? The service intervals for my GTI were every 10k miles... Seems like we're just throwing away good oil on these cars every 5k miles!
These kind of drain intervals were mandated by the US DOT to save money - figuring most folks would sell or trade their cars soon enough (2-3 yrs) for 'any' issues to show up later or for the next poor guy. Manufacturers don't like the mandated drain intervals and have been redesigning additive packages to accommodate them - hence the every rigorous VAG approvals for oils.

I change my EXPENSIVE oil every 3-5K or once a year based NOT on recommended drain intervals, but TBN (Total Base Number) which is an indicator of how much add pack is still left to aid cooling, rust inhibition, friction resistance and dissolved solids retention. I consider the oil change and analyses (Blackstone btw) to be CHEAP assurance that my engine is maintained as best it can be for as long as I have it - and the next guy too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Recommended Service intervals for the Q3 is every 10K. Except for the 1st one, which is 5k. However some people prefer to do the every 5k

·
Registered
603 Posts
I always follow what the manual says. Oil changes, what octane fuel to use, etc... Don't really understand deviating from that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know this is an old topic but I wondered if anyone has had oil loss in between oil changes? I used the dip stick to see if I was leaking oil (Possible spot on the driveway) and it was down a quart. It's been 8000 since my last oil change. I don't normally go this long but I lost track this time.

Dealership says it's "normal" for the car to lose a bit of oil. Is a quart a bit of oil though? I know the older Audis had a lawsuit again Audi but their cars were loosing quarts in between oil changes.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know this is an old topic but I wondered if anyone has had oil loss in between oil changes? I used the dip stick to see if I was leaking oil (Possible spot on the driveway) and it was down a quart. It's been 8000 since my last oil change. I don't normally go this long but I lost track this time.

Dealership says it's "normal" for the car to lose a bit of oil. Is a quart a bit of oil though? I know the older Audis had a lawsuit again Audi but their cars were loosing quarts in between oil changes.

Any thoughts???
Normal.

My GTI lost almost 1/2 of its oil during an esp. long OCI.

Esp. if you see no leakage - this episode just reminds you to monitor it more consistently.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

Any thoughts???
While I agree that some consumption is normal, many don't agree on "what" that is. In my experience, ALL German cars 'use' oil to about 1 litre (or quart) about every 7-10K Km - or 5-6K miles. Much more than that would likely signify either a leak or excessive consumption...

Reactions: buddha
1 - 17 of 17 Posts