Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I assume you're referring to the exterior similarities between the two cars? I like the front grille of the Q3 more and it's more sloped in the back.
We'll have to compare the specs when VW releases more info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you're referring to the exterior similarities between the two cars? I like the front grille of the Q3 more and it's more sloped in the back.
We'll have to compare the specs when VW releases more info.
I meant that the the current gen Q3 & Tiguan share similar underpinnings & dimensions; were set apart only by outside appearance to many observers.

"The Q3’s underpinnings started with the VW Tiguan platform, but the architecture was significantly altered to be considered worthy of Audi’s four interconnected rings. “We have taken the most suitable parts from the components bin, and its architecture is basically a mix of the PQ46 [Passat, CC] and PQ35 [Tiguan, Mark VI Golf] platforms,” says development coordinator Thomas Soppa."

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am fine with rebadging - it is how the business works. My Acura was a souped up Honda, my Lexus was a souped up Toyota, and my Audi is a souped up VW. In each case, the premium nameplate vehicle was nicer and more desirable to me. Think about it - Audi would not survive without VW, there would be no Lexus without Toyota, no Acura without Honda. Take a look at the same process for domestics too: Suburban, Yukon, Escalade - same vehicle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I forgot to add: I have not found anything labeled VW on my Q3 yet. Though I did have parts labeled Honda and Toyota on my Acura and Lexus.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I forgot to add: I have not found anything labeled VW on my Q3 yet. Though I did have parts labeled Honda and Toyota on my Acura and Lexus.
It might be possible that things such as vents might be what are common with VW, but to see a VW logo on that would take some work and I bet they made it like that. As techs dig into the vehicle or any DIY'er, they'll come across VW mentions.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It might be possible that things such as vents might be what are common with VW, but to see a VW logo on that would take some work and I bet they made it like that. As techs dig into the vehicle or any DIY'er, they'll come across VW mentions.

I remember opening the fuel door of my brand new Lexus and it said 'Toyota' inside it on the cap. I was >:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the biggest common denominator is the engine.

These are the same 2.0 TSI 's on all the Golfs/Tiguan/CC/Passat/Jettas that's just been given an Audi branded top cover.

All the DIY parts on this thing is cross referenced with its associated VW twin.

Definitely not a bad thing!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 2.0T with Direct Injection showed up on Audi before VW. I had the A4 from that year, and the Golf/GTI still shipped with the 1.8T, at least in the US.

I think the biggest common denominator is the engine.

These are the same 2.0 TSI 's on all the Golfs/Tiguan/CC/Passat/Jettas that's just been given an Audi branded top cover.

All the DIY parts on this thing is cross referenced with its associated VW twin.

Definitely not a bad thing!

·
Registered
400 Posts
My fear for next gen Q3 is that Audi will enlarge it - making it longer than the current 172 inches. Since the Q3 is my play car - I need one that fits in the garage without impeding ingress/egress to/from the house. Anything longer will block the pathway a bit more than I want. I could stand for the Q3 to be a little shorter. My Kia Soul was 163 inches and seemed bigger inside than the Q3 but was the perfect length for my 3rd stall in the garage. First World Problem I know......:nerd:

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
The NEW Q3 will be built on the same MQB platform when it comes, so will be even more of a similar bin car. A lot of the part numbers now shared between the Tiguan and the Q3 are Audi's rather than VW's anyway, but if you dig deep enough you'll find a few VW P/Ns, even if the part says VAG rather than VW or Audi.You can tell by the P/N. The engine is a VAG design NOT either VW or Audi, so can be thought of branded in either/both cases about the same ... VW has used more of them though, but Audi has refined the design more and more often.

Reactions: Q3User

·
Registered
247 Posts
Personally I'm not attracted at all to that look. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Personally I'm not attracted at all to that look. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
But it looks just like a Q3 from the side!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The title of this thread is misleading & that's coming from me - the OP. :D
It was meant tongue in cheek trolling at all those people out there who think the Q3 is just a more expensive rebadged Tiguan.

The pictures & underlying articles' intent was to show that the direction VW is taking with the Tiguan & it's a marked difference in style over the current gen Tiguan.
Really, this thread is not a comment about replicated & repetitive styles but more that VAG is willing to still put in the work to design & not just evolve.

This bodes well for the corporate cousin next gen Audi Q3.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok, then I agree. Your intent was confusing!

·
Registered
914 Posts
The title of this thread is misleading & that's coming from me - the OP. :D
It was meant tongue in cheek trolling at all those people out there who think the Q3 is just a more expensive rebadged Tiguan.

The pictures & underlying articles' intent was to show that the direction VW is taking with the Tiguan & it's a marked difference in style over the current gen Tiguan.
Really, this thread is not a comment about replicated & repetitive styles but more that VAG is willing to still put in the work to design & not just evolve.

This bodes well for the corporate cousin next gen Audi Q3.
That's one thing i've noticed that car makers have realized, they just can't do rebadges any more but have to make significant changes, basically just using the bare bones and structure and some other things as the foundation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a neighbor the past three years who was an exec at the VW plant here in Chattanooga. We walked our dogs together and he was always on me to get a Tiguan. I like the Q3 much better and told him that was what I was holding out for, he just smiled (he and his family have been transferred to Bremen, he was hoping for a South America assignment).

If people want to talk about the Q3 vs the Tiguan, how about the new BMW X1 being an overpriced Mini now that it is built on the Mini chassis with the transverse 4. My BMW dealer wanted $5K more for similarly equipped new X1 than my Q3. No way, Jose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts