Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I noticed recently that my front rotors were becoming grooved. Yesterday, I brought the car in for the 25,000 mile service and was told the rotors are warped and the expense was out of pocket.
The brake pedal is not pulsating so I questioned the warp being the problem. I was also told that the pads were fine. In my experience, grooved rotors are coming from the pads. I chose not to have the rotors changed and called Audi today. Indeed, the rotors are not covered by the warranty. Certainly a switch from the other two Audi's I have owned.

I strongly feel that I should not be having such a problem at 25,000 miles. This is a new low for Audi maintenance.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with such low milage?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's way too low to be experiencing that. I don't understand how they could possibly claim the rotors were warped when they're clearly grooved and not pulsating. That's complete nonsense. Did they have a first year apprentice look at it or something ?!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Grooving and warping are very different and usually after some severe grooving, that will lead to warping. You will hardly notice if even at all, a feel or noise from grooving, but once they are warped, you should feel it all the time even when not applying the brakes. The pads will float some, but any nominal touch will result in some definite feedback - prolly most sensitively through the steering rather than the brake pedal.

Rotors can groove and warp for a variety of reasons, and unless there is a large statistical rate observation of failure, would not normally be considered for a warranty item, regardless of mileage. If you like I can wear your pads and rotors out in less than 5K miles: people drive differently and in highly variable conditions all over, so simple generalizations by mileage are not a good basis, although 25K is perhaps a bit low against a "normal" expectation (a standard distribution would prolly put more like 50-75K for rotors at the average, but 25K is still within the large part of the bell curve, and NOT so low as to be a statistical outlier).

As an example, my rotors began to show some grooving - but no discoloration (revealing heat stress) at just 2K miles. I have NO unusual feeling in either the brakes or steering, but noted it to my dealer anyway - just to put a point on the data curve. My car now has about 10K on it and is still not showing any other signs of either warping, discolorations or increased grooving. In fact the grooving has 'calmed' back a bit - the pads will wear to accommodate either way. I'm just watching to see.

Your service advisor lead should ride with you and/or discuss your driving routes, style and conditions of typical braking to provide you with some feedback on why these have not met your expectations. Perhaps some relevant revelations can be made to help both you and Audi out on this as either a defect in material or unusual wear related to conditions or behavior...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Roger-

I noticed some scuff on one rotor at the 5000 mile service and was told is was probably from a pebble and all was fine. This service was a different dealer so it was a moot point. The grooves on my rotors began to appear in the last 500 or so miles. It will be interesting if your vehicle develops this as it approaches the 25,000 mark. Your detailed response was excellent and despite being in the "bell curve" I still feel this wear is pre-mature.

When my service advisor approached me about the problem she was armed with a six (6) page "Action Plan." Discovering I had a better understanding of the problem and causes as I questioned the diagnosis and making it clear I was not going to have the rotors replaced, she left me with the report and said they will check for any factory recalls. As I looked through the "Plan," there were also suggestions and coupons for Fuel Injector and Induction Services. Just $350 for the two. So had I gone for the "Plan," this "pre-paid" 25,000 mile service would have had me out an additional $800. Yeah, I know there can be an argument for the other side but it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello-

I noticed recently that my front rotors were becoming grooved. Yesterday, I brought the car in for the 25,000 mile service and was told the rotors are warped and the expense was out of pocket.
The brake pedal is not pulsating so I questioned the warp being the problem. I was also told that the pads were fine. In my experience, grooved rotors are coming from the pads. I chose not to have the rotors changed and called Audi today. Indeed, the rotors are not covered by the warranty. Certainly a switch from the other two Audi's I have owned.

I strongly feel that I should not be having such a problem at 25,000 miles. This is a new low for Audi maintenance.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with such low milage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts