Audi Q3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting, but I don't quite understand how you get to the clips to separate from the fenders. Do you need to unstick the shroud first?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It looks like you prise the arch away from the bumper, the clips are perpendicular to the join.
I'd use plastic trim tools to split them apart rather than metal tools to avoid marking.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Grills are just for looks.

Hi,

You are right that all grills fit all bumpers, but the main concern is that it should improve the looks. Generally if you dont find compatible grills with bumpers, then you might see some space in between.

I did faced the problem with my Dodge truck initially. But later on, I fixed the issue with the right grill.

BTW, I am planning to customize my Dodge truck to look a bit fancy. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi,

You are right that all grills fit all bumpers, but the main concern is that it should improve the looks. Generally if you dont find compatible grills with bumpers, then you might see some space in between.

I did faced the problem with my Dodge truck initially. But later on, I fixed the issue with the right grill.

BTW, I am planning to customize my Dodge truck to look a bit fancy. Any suggestions ?
I've seen some nice two tone paint jobs that use vinyl on ram trucks. I think the more subtle variety looks better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
okay guys, I finally did it. 3 people and 5 hours of struggling later and we have success! I haven't written anything up on the process, but I'll be glad to help out any others with anything should you need it. now for a couple pics.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Audi really didn't make it an easy job lol. I was spoiled by my first car, a VW Jetta whose front bumper was held on by 6 screws & took 5 minutes to completely remove. I removed probably 50 screws from this car in the process lol. And the fender trim pieces were really nerve-wracking because I was constantly afraid I'd break it off. Miraculously I broke nothing and everything fit fine! I was astonished (and extremely relieved) considering this is a "knock-off" part.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks great...so much nicer than the stock one.... you doing outside installs too??? :) I'll be right down... I'd never have that much patience to do that myself....

Where are you going to put the license plate on the front?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks great and you are a brave man.

haha thanks! I put this off long enough, I had to bite the bullet and just get it done no matter what. my fiancé's bday is today so I wanted to get it done since this is her car and all lol.

Looks great...so much nicer than the stock one.... you doing outside installs too??? :) I'll be right down... I'd never have that much patience to do that myself....

Where are you going to put the license plate on the front?

hahaha come on down! now that I've done it once I can do it again ;) just bring some good beer/buy me lunch afterwards!

I don't plan on putting the front plate back on lol. Here in MD they passed a new law that if your car did not come equipped with a mounting bracket or if it requires stylistic changes to mount one (which it now does lol), you don't need to mount it. just have it in the trunk for now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Daughter and son in law live down there...buying a condo in Gaithersburg this month....I may take you up on that soon...Gotta get my son and his car crazy Yuppy Racing buddies to help me install the MMI screen fix when I get the overseas parts then I can think about other stuff... Wish my husband was handy...Unfortunately I'm the handy one in the house...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Daughter and son in law live down there...buying a condo in Gaithersburg this month....I may take you up on that soon...Gotta get my son and his car crazy Yuppy Racing buddies to help me install the MMI screen fix when I get the overseas parts then I can think about other stuff... Wish my husband was handy...Unfortunately I'm the handy one in the house...

oh wow!! yeah if you're down here id be glad to help out haha.

·
Registered
603 Posts
okay guys, I finally did it. 3 people and 5 hours of struggling later and we have success! I haven't written anything up on the process, but I'll be glad to help out any others with anything should you need it. now for a couple pics.

I can't tell if that looks easy or difficult to do. I'm pretty afraid of taking apart my vehicle to that degree. I'm afraid I'd mess something up putting it back together and the whole front of my car would come off while driving or something. LOL. I do like the grille change though. Good for you for figuring out how to do it properly.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
It's not so bad really, just taking care is the most significant part - and btw, you don't need to take out the headlights - I didn't...

·
Registered
916 Posts
That looks amazing.

Only downside is finding somewhere to mount the front plate as depending where you live you'll get bothered by cops for not having a front plate.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
@Otto : You wanna buy a whole (new - 160 miles) stock front bumper cover with grill? PM me ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quick question: Looking at the info...What did you find to fit the upgrade and what didn't as far as the grills... Seems like there's a bunch of them on Ebay. Some RS version and some without any logo on the front.

Also, I'm curious if you were going to upgrade the fog lights to the mesh grill too? I saw some also on Ebay looks like they were for the Q5 though...

21 - 40 of 67 Posts