Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you CocoPops for your detailed scan. In carefully reviewing the content of your controller 09 Central Electronics or J519 BCM (Body Control Module), I discovered a significant LED tail light byte (#18) difference to my NAR code. I merely recoded that byte to your value (84) from mine (6A) and voilá, my rear LED eCodes now work properly - with separate brake and signal lamps so my amber signals work right now - whooooeee!

I was thinking I'd be in for some serious channel adaptation changes like I had to make on my S5 for this to work, and while that could do it too, changing this one byte in the long coding was a much easier proposition. Oh boy am I a happy boy tonight...>:D

I can't wait to tell some AoA folks about this next week at Daytona -:nerd:

·
Registered
134 Posts
CocoPops & Roger-

This is some pretty wild stuff!

I'm more of a mechanical guy (yea, I shoot film and listen to vinyl too) but electronic enhancement for traditionally mechanical functions always has my attention.

I mentioned on my introduction thread that I wanted to get back into my own maintenance. I know the Q3 in new and most likely most folks are not beyond the free 5000 mile thing but anyone game to discuss this stuff?

Again, cool on the coding modifications guys!

Best,

John
www.photojordan.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice!

Glad we're getting somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photos! Or, better yet, videos!
Okay, perhaps I should've tried a video, but not really sure where to upload it to. Anyway, here's a few pics : sorry for the overall bad lighting -

New turn signal

...with running lights :

with brake lights :

brake lights only :

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you got a before? So I can see what you yanks get as standard?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't - but what we get is RED turn signals (this is a physical part of the lamp assembly and cannot be changed) - AND they are COMBINED with the brake elements. So when we stop or signal, BOTH turn(red) and brake elements light together. Change your byte 18 in 09 to 6A and see - except of course you'll still have the amber turn, but at least you can observe the behavior ...

Another (besides the amber signal) GOOD thing I like about the eCodes is that when braking AND signaling, you still get DISCRETE signals and brakes, whereas the NAR cars behave like old Detroit iron, the side that's signalling goes dark on brakes just so it can signal a turn - imho, NOT a good safety point when/with limited visibility or partially blocked views...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...also not easy to see in the pics, the amber signals are about 20% brighter than the red signals.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CocoPops & Roger-

... I know the Q3 in new and most likely most folks are not beyond the free 5000 mile thing but anyone game to discuss this stuff?
John
www.photojordan.com
As you might guess, I am ALWAYS willing to discuss this stuff - >:D

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what ALL RoW facelift Q3s will get - but NAR cars will be red, and may NOT get the sequential bit either...

I may have to check the physical fit of these, as I REALLY like them, especially in the eCode (amber sequential mode) - and I'll be lusting after the LED headlights too.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's what ALL RoW facelift Q3s will get - but NAR cars will be red, and may NOT get the sequential bit either...

I may have to check the physical fit of these, as I REALLY like them, especially in the eCode (amber sequential mode) - and I'll be lusting after the LED headlights too.
Strange??? I lust after Boobs and Roger lusts after LED headlights...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Strange??? I lust after Boobs and Roger lusts after LED headlights...:laugh:
I'm actually a buns guy, but yatta hey, around cars LED headlights ARE pretty cool. But what would make me really squirm are the laser lights in the R8 LMX - oh, baaaaby!!>:D Hold me back ...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:D Hah ! My cold shower was to go right out and code my adaptation for my MMI to reveal the hidden green menu :nerd:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looking fantastic, of course. I have to convince myself that I don't need this, too, now...

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the sequential drivers are in the LED modules, so if you have LED tails, you'll get the sequential signals. But, I think this will be different for NAR cars, as they will have red signals, likely combined with the brake lights, same as today for NAR LEDs...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I made this VCDS change to turn signal tail lights and like it. However, my car has all red lights and not amber. I wonder if the amber lights are S-line special.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I made this VCDS change to turn signal tail lights and like it. However, my car has all red lights and not amber. I wonder if the amber lights are S-line special.
No they're not, but they are an RoW standard where normal signal lights are amber. Audi (and BMW and Mercedes) have agreed to send red turn signals to the NAR market. This is somewhat a gentleman's agreement with a small dose of DOT pressure based on LED brightness regulations.

To get amber signal LEDs, you'll need to have/purchase the right hardware. There are several model years (from 2011) available, some perhaps salvaged as mine were that you might find if you like them. Check ebay (as usual) ...or wait if mine become available - if the new sequentials will fit, I might not be able to resist >:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts