Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wired a radar detector into the rear view mirror? I was behind an R8 the other day and that driver had his set up that way. (Granted, he probably needs it just slightly more than I do.)

Reactions: rnlabas

·
Registered
400 Posts
Interesting set up. I saw a dash cam set up the same way - you could not even tell it was there. Very slick!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Haven't seen many setups but i think some guys even mount them around the rear windshield area in such a way it can be hidden, it's not often that cops look within that area.

Also, don't some cops have detectors that can detect radar detectors?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Haven't seen many setups but i think some guys even mount them around the rear windshield area in such a way it can be hidden, it's not often that cops look within that area.

Also, don't some cops have detectors that can detect radar detectors?

Are radar detectors illegal in some states?

At least in Texas they are not, everyone has them

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

I think right now, it's only Virginia, DC and any US military base ...

BUT radar jammers are illegal by Federal Law -

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, legal in Texas. I found a place that is installing it tomorrow. I'll post pics.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Blend makes a VERY nice mount that fits the Audi mirrors well also - it may be a bit more though ...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Blend also has nice tap in wires for this - goes into the wiring for the mirror and rain sensor -

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased the Blendmount radar detector mount and the mirrortap, which should arrive tomorrow. I removed the plastic housing over the wiring for the mirror and rain sensor, but am not sure which of the wires are the ground wire or the +12-14V wire(s). Is there an easy way to tell based on the colors of the wires? It looks like there is a blue, brown, purple, and yellow wire. I have a voltmeter, but since the wires are not exposed, I didn't want to use it unless I needed to. I attached an image of what I see (sorry about the blurry). Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I purchased the Blendmount radar detector mount and the mirrortap, which should arrive tomorrow. I removed the plastic housing over the wiring for the mirror and rain sensor, but am not sure which of the wires are the ground wire or the +12-14V wire(s). Is there an easy way to tell based on the colors of the wires? It looks like there is a blue, brown, purple, and yellow wire. I have a voltmeter, but since the wires are not exposed, I didn't want to use it unless I needed to. I attached an image of what I see (sorry about the blurry). Thanks!
I believe you can count on the brown being ground, but the rest may be flexible - purple prolly switched +12v - in any case you CAN poke your test lead into the back part of the plug you show in the pic and get a good enough contact to test ...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to my favorite car audio shop to have it installed. They ran the wiring up through the mirror. Very tidy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was able to install it today, thanks to the suggestions and pictures provided in this thread. Here's a picture of the final set-up. I would actually recommend having the wire coming out of the top of the ball-and-socket area, as it reduces the amount of wire showing even further!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I was able to install it today, thanks to the suggestions and pictures provided in this thread. Here's a picture of the final set-up. I would actually recommend having the wire coming out of the top of the ball-and-socket area, as it reduces the amount of wire showing even further!

Great work - now YOU can tell US the wire color codes -:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks great and so much better than those annoying suction cups and wires. I was tempted to just buy the expensive one that goes under the hood, but this is a good solution for a reasonable price. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts