Audi Q3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Before I had my Q3, I owned a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander, and the head lights where great, I can't say the same for my 2015 Q3.
The dealership will only suggest same replacement as the originals, can anyone suggest a brighter bulbs.
Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can upgrade to a brighter HID bulb. I installed the Philips D3S "X-tremeVision plus" (part number 42403XV2C1), which claim to output 1.5x the lumens of a standard D3S bulb. The trade-off of these brighter bulbs is the shorter life, compared to a standard output D3S bulb. These cost about $100 each, but be careful, there are lots of counterfeit knock-offs of these on the market. I bought from HIDconcept.com. The other legitimately brighter bulb is the Osram HID Night Breaker Laser (part number 66340XNL), which claim to be 2x brighter than standard D3S bulbs.

It is actually easier to change the bulb if you first pull the entire headlight housing off of the car, and work at a table. There are two torx bolts at the top-front, and one 10mm(?) hex-bolt at the rearward lower portion of the housing (all accessible from the top), disconnect the connector, then pull the headlight straight forward, out of the car.

The other thing that helps is to slightly raise the vertical aiming of the headlight, with the white plastic adjustment screw that is on the top of the headlight housing. I turned mine 1 turn CCW, and that helped throw the light further down the road, without blinding oncoming drivers. And no, I didn't put the Auto-Level control module in "Basic Settings" (with VAGCOM), I just turned the screws...and all is still fine with my Auto-Leveling system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back, I could be wrong but I though the bulbs were D5S and not D3S, whats the difference?
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts