Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Audi community. Have always been a Lexus person until I just got a Audi A6 supercharged and love it. I saw a Q3 there and my wife liked it so we have ordered one. Should be in mid Jan. 2015. Looking to fix two of the many issues I found with it for when it comes in. They are there is no garage door opener built in and no readily available tow hitch.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hey Roger -

Welcome to the forum - I am working on the first of your issues combined with the fact that I find the OEM mirror too small, so I am working on integrating another Gentex (the OEM supplier to Audi and a host of others) mirror with compass and HomeLink into my Q3. There's also the possibility to integrate this, about $15-20 on ebay -
but I am having a challenge with location as the overhead console is small - Like the TT, Audi will prolly (in the facelifted update next year) just put the buttons overhead and wire to the antenna module somewhere else even though it is compact.

If you check around the forum particularly here : http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/385-appearance-body/2922-q3-trailer-hitch.html#post19298 I think you'll find a hitch solution but as the thread concludes, you may want to act now even before your cars gets here. There's also some info on tracking the progress of your car and its delivery if you're so inclined...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hey Roger -

Welcome to the forum - I am working on the first of your issues combined with the fact that I find the OEM mirror too small, so I am working on integrating another Gentex (the OEM supplier to Audi and a host of others) mirror with compass and HomeLink into my Q3. There's also the possibility to integrate this, about $15-20 on ebay -
but I am having a challenge with location as the overhead console is small - Like the TT, Audi will prolly (in the facelifted update next year) just put the buttons overhead and wire to the antenna module somewhere else even though it is compact.

If you check around the forum particularly here : http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/385-appearance-body/2922-q3-trailer-hitch.html#post19298 I think you'll find a hitch solution but as the thread concludes, you may want to act now even before your cars gets here. There's also some info on tracking the progress of your car and its delivery if you're so inclined...
I'm looking at the same Homelink. Let me know where you end up installing this.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'm prolly gonna find a way to use this instead :

It's a generic Gentex ZTVHL3 typically used in a Subaru, Infiniti, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia etc. - generally available on ebay for $50-80 ($280 new but still MUCH cheaper than say an A5 or Q5 mirror for $800) and it fixes three issues for me : has HomeLink, is a larger mirror which I think the Q3 NEEDS, and relieves the challenge of where to put the stock HomeLink module ...

I've successfully split the replacement mirror to trace the wiring and swap mounting gimbals (necessary for the Audi) and checked clearances. I will attempt the major surgery Friday morning when I tackle a few other items including hopefully the MMI bin.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm prolly gonna find a way to use this instead :

It's a generic Gentex ZTVHL3 typically used in a Subaru, Infiniti, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia etc. - generally available on ebay for $50-80 ($280 new but still MUCH cheaper than say an A5 or Q5 mirror for $800) and it fixes three issues for me : has HomeLink, is a larger mirror which I think the Q3 NEEDS, and relieves the challenge of where to put the stock HomeLink module ...

I've successfully split the replacement mirror to trace the wiring and swap mounting gimbals (necessary for the Audi) and checked clearances. I will attempt the major surgery Friday morning when I tackle a few other items including hopefully the MMI bin.
...and I spoke with Gentex about the mirror and they had no replacement mirror for our Q3.

Beyond the fit, is there any reason why the Q3 mirror should stay if this one fits?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Not in my opinion. I'm sure the reason Gentex told you that is because they do not sell any mirrors aftermarket that have the Audi mounts, even though they are Audi's original equipment supplier. That's why I'm having to split both mirrors and transfer (hopefully) the Audi mount to the generic HomeLink mirror. From what I can tell so far, I am hopeful but not yet certain. I've split the generic one apart and inspected the Audi mirror, but haven't yet split it to see if I can transfer the mount. The wiring change should be pretty straightforward, only having to be sure I splice power and ground to the HomeLink module within the generic mirror's harness ... I'll take more pics of the whole surgery if it goes well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't get the mirror size issue?

The whole rear screen can be seen in my mirror, anything else would just be rear screen pillars/bootlid trim, not to mention reducing front visibility.

Homelink is not popular in europe, so I guess that's why it's not included in the Q3 as it was a primary Euro model, adapted later for US markets.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I don't get the mirror size issue?

The whole rear screen can be seen in my mirror, anything else would just be rear screen pillars/bootlid trim, not to mention reducing front visibility.

Homelink is not popular in europe, so I guess that's why it's not included in the Q3 as it was a primary Euro model, adapted later for US markets.
I suppose it's really a matter of perspective and preference - From both my wife's and mine, the mirror (which is the same one used in TTs and R8s) is smaller than we'd like. While we CAN see most of the rear window, the oval shape cuts off the edges enough to give an impression of not having fair coverage. The mirror I'm trying to use is the same as what other manufacturers use in similar-sized cross-overs.

I've held up the glass from the new one and am pleased by both the reflection it yields (rear field of view) AND its negligible impact on front view space.

As for HomeLink, this IS very popular here, virtually all cars have some sort of option to incorporate it so we don't have a bunch of garage remotes bopping around our cars.I suppose there's a higher percentage of garaged cars here also leading to this need.

Incorporating the HomeLink into the mirror is simply one of convenience for me solving 2 issues (for me) at once. My wife has the priority of a large rear view while mine is for the HomeLink - so I'm just trying to be balanced ;)...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome Roger!! I too am waiting, and waiting.... Urgg

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd rather get an after market garage door opener instead of replacing the whole mirror. Just seems easier to me. It seems like replacing the mirror should be something that can happen though. If you guys go ahead with it, i'd like to see pictures to see how it turns out.

And welcome to the forum Roger!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'd rather get an after market garage door opener instead of replacing the whole mirror. Just seems easier to me. It seems like replacing the mirror should be something that can happen though. If you guys go ahead with it, i'd like to see pictures to see how it turns out.

And welcome to the forum Roger!
x2

That's the best way to go about it.
No point making it more complicated and have to do that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
x2

That's the best way to go about it.
No point making it more complicated and have to do that.
I could just imagine messing up the windshield by trying to replace it. I just think about the worst case scenario and try to avoid that.

At this point it seems that infotainment systems should be able to have a garage door opener built into them. Especially in a luxury car.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I could just imagine messing up the windshield by trying to replace it. I just think about the worst case scenario and try to avoid that.

At this point it seems that infotainment systems should be able to have a garage door opener built into them. Especially in a luxury car.
I have NO intentions to mess up anything - but as I noted, the mirror size/coverage for me is already a disappointment, so replacing it with a larger one that happens to have HomeLink seems to be the ticket. As for the infotainment system having that capability, the button-pushing, sure - the transmitter part - uh, not so much ...

·
Registered
914 Posts
i used to work at a BMW dealer and have assisted with windshield replacements and even just laying down the bead of silicone is something you DON"T want to mess with, you need to be like a professional old school pinstriper with it.

Then there's laying the glass on the frame.... i might have nightmares now!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Mirror came off easily enough - splitting it was a challenge, but now on my third one, got done reasonably quick (10 minutes) and with no damage. Then the heartbreak - the Audi mount is just NOT even remotely practical to consider re-engineering into the generic Gentex. So, it's back to looking for a used Q5 or A5 mirror for my Q3 AND a newer HomeLink recon mission (which also undertook and feel I found success in the overhead console - see here http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/409-electronics-audio/3329-homelink-q3.html#post22657).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts