Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed my Audi q3 Quattro 2013 S-Line has started steaming or whining almost at a high pitch when accelerating. It does it when starting from stand still or at higher speeds also. Oils are fine but I believe steering is electric so no power steering fluid. Due a service but unsure if relevant.

my tracking has been off for a while and the steering had a drop in it. Leaning down to the left side. The car also shakes implying the balancing is needed also. I had a garage look at the tracking and they couldn’t sort it out and now this whining noise has started. Again unsure if related.
Please help if you know what to do!
All advice appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a slipping alternator belt to me . Does it do it more with the aircon on?
Thank you mate. I am not 100% sure but I will give it a go today and reply back again once I’ve tried with the aircon.
I visited a mechanic who seems to know his stuff and he believes it’s just a vibration noise. He put a crowbar under the engine and transmission to simulate when I put my foot down and it sounds like other parts are making contact with some of the body work. Potentially the engine mounts are loose he believes.

anyone got any ideas or information for this? Do you agree/disagree?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you mate. I am not 100% sure but I will give it a go today and reply back again once I’ve tried with the aircon.
I visited a mechanic who seems to know his stuff and he believes it’s just a vibration noise. He put a crowbar under the engine and transmission to simulate when I put my foot down and it sounds like other parts are making contact with some of the body work. Potentially the engine mounts are loose he believes.

anyone got any ideas or information for this? Do you agree/disagree?
I can confirm the AC does NOT seem to make any difference unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What kms has it travelled? I have a 2013 138k kms K04 stage 2+ and drive it hard and have not had this issue. Main motor and trans mounts are still OK. Sounds kinda like a bad CV joint, pcv valve cos sound you speak of, worn brake pads or something stuck in the brakes like a stone or debris. Hard to tell without a video but start with the simple things. Regarding your leaning steering wheel to the left and tracking issues look at replacing your OE shocks as they will degrade overtime while you just get used to driving it with the wear. Check lower control arm bushes aswell and consider a front subframe locking collar kit from ecstuning or likes of. This makes a nice and noticeable difference on the front subframe and assists with true alignment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kms has it travelled? I have a 2013 138k kms K04 stage 2+ and drive it hard and have not had this issue. Main motor and trans mounts are still OK. Sounds kinda like a bad CV joint, pcv valve cos sound you speak of, worn brake pads or something stuck in the brakes like a stone or debris. Hard to tell without a video but start with the simple things. Regarding your leaning steering wheel to the left and tracking issues look at replacing your OE shocks as they will degrade overtime while you just get used to driving it with the wear. Check lower control arm bushes aswell and consider a front subframe locking collar kit from ecstuning or likes of. This makes a nice and noticeable difference on the front subframe and assists with true alignment.
Thank you very much I will look at all of those. I will try to put on a video of the sound. And I will get my mechanic to check those things out thank you again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I forgot to say it’s travelled 95k miles so about 152km
152k kms I would also be looking at the alternator/serpentine belt (as someone above mentioned) and alternator pulley and serpentine drive belt tensioner. the alternator pulley itself activates when you accelerate so if the bearings in the pulley have dried up and corroded, this could cause similar noise.

my alternator pulley bearings went shot at 102k kms and sprayed brown old grease all over the engine bay as the actual pulley cover popped off with the grease popping it off under pressure. lucky the pulley is replaceable without having to replace the whole alternator.

either way, let us know how you go! could be anything really, but hopefully nothing too over the top for your sake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
152k kms I would also be looking at the alternator/serpentine belt (as someone above mentioned) and alternator pulley and serpentine drive belt tensioner. the alternator pulley itself activates when you accelerate so if the bearings in the pulley have dried up and corroded, this could cause similar noise.

my alternator pulley bearings went shot at 102k kms and sprayed brown old grease all over the engine bay as the actual pulley cover popped off with the grease popping it off under pressure. lucky the pulley is replaceable without having to replace the whole alternator.

either way, let us know how you go! could be anything really, but hopefully nothing too over the top for your sake.
Oh okay that’s a very likely possibility by the sounds of it then and feom what you described. That’s not too bad if the pulley can be replaced!
Thank you again very much for your help.

Once resolved I shall get it up on here :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
You could also try posting on the UK Q3 owners forum, in case anyone has had a similar issue. I recall some posts about parts rubbing and making noises.

There are plenty of posts on that forum about all sorts of noises and vibrations etc.

Eg: Vibration & Noise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts