Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us NOT waiting for the facelift (see my new post on that good news too) to have HomeLink in our cars, I think I found a potential solution for us that I will attempt fit-up for, Christmas week.

First, find one of these (sorry for the size - I'm now posting smaller pics, but I do not want to break other links)

You can prolly find one on ebay for less than $20 - this one cost me $12 and works great. In my investigative surgery today on a few items (MMI foldaway bin, replacement-and larger HomeLink mirror, VCDS coding) today, when discovering my replacement mirror with HomeLink would NOT be practical, I scouted for installation of the above module. It now looks like there will be sufficient space under the overhead console between the microphones afterall. On an earlier reconoiter of this area, I was previously skeptical, but now I'm optimistic.

The plate above with the buttons snaps off and requires only three small holes in the overhead panel to snap thru and onto the module itself. The device above was originally designed for placement inside visors with only the button panel showing. While not as pretty as the Audi version will likely be, at $10- $20, I'm sure it will be an order of magnitude less costly.

I will prolly try this install Christmas week and will take ample pics to post, so stay tuned if you're interested ...

Reactions: MPBQ3

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not bad at all, glad to see that you're going to go through with this and in the process help others here understand the process. Looking forward to seeing more about this!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Definitely looks promising. If you go through with it it would be awesome to see some pictures to see how it turns out. I would be okay with one that clips onto the visor though. No big deal IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2, I would also stick with one that clips onto the visor like with many setups out there.
You don't need HomeLink for that, just clip your existing opener to the visor. Most of them already have the clip built-in or attached, and many now come with up to 4 door buttons on one small transmitter...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news folks - the HomeLink module at the head of this thread is a bust - at least for now. There's just not enough room in the overhead console for the module as shown. If we take the circuit board out of the module, cut off the power plug tab and solder power leads straight to the PC board AND make considerable surgery to the overhead console back liner - it may fit, but now without the module case to hold the PC board to the buttons, it would not stay 'together' in place well enough to work.

I suppose that if Audi creates a new overhead console to accommodate this kind of module - due in the facelift I think - it could work. So I'll prolly wait until they do that to see if that integration will retrofit into the current car. Meanwhile I'll be happy with my 3 button garage door opener lolly gagging around the interior rather than trying to fit this HomeLink module into the overhead console.

If y'all find a more creative opportunity, I'll possibly follow. But this one I'm not leading for now...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that your Q3 visor or another? Actually, the module I have was designed exactly for this application - I was just hopeful to mount it in the overhead console instead. I looked at my visor to see if it would fit and it will. I'm just not sure the power wire can be effectively routed through the mount. There is wiring there already for the mirror/light switch, so it may be possible to piggy back off of that. I did check on the risk factor of butchering a visor and a replacement is $236 - :eek:. Similarly an overhead console is $328 but includes a whole lot more (roof module, courtesy light, microphones for phone, switches, etc.) for the money...

For the risk/reward at the moment (while high on the folding MMI bin) I just decided to wait a bit - now of course, I'm anxious for your guy's success>:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is that your Q3 visor or another? Actually, the module I have was designed exactly for this application - I was just hopeful to mount it in the overhead console instead. I looked at my visor to see if it would fit and it will. I'm just not sure the power wire can be effectively routed through the mount. There is wiring there already for the mirror/light switch, so it may be possible to piggy back off of that. I did check on the risk factor of butchering a visor and a replacement is $236 - :eek:. Similarly an overhead console is $328 but includes a whole lot more (roof module, courtesy light, microphones for phone, switches, etc.) for the money...

For the risk/reward at the moment (while high on the folding MMI bin) I just decided to wait a bit - now of course, I'm anxious for your guy's success>:D
That's a sunvisor off ebay. Would be buying it just for the homelink. My guy said that he's done this to other cars, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I did this myself with a 2009 Jetts TDI, but replaced the visor from a VW Eos visor with a homelink system and did piggy back off the lighted mirror wires.

With this being my wifes car and needing to slice open the visor, I'm letting a pro handle it this time.

Unfort, it will prob be a few more weeks as he's still reseaching the memory seats.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The module is only getting power from your Audi - you need the HomeLink module for your doors - there are door openers out there (mostly 1 -2 years old or newer) that REQUIRE the latest HomeLink revision 5 or 6 to work. Many of the modules on ebay etc. are v3 or v4 - so check compatibility of your door opener with the HomeLink version before you buy. I think that HomeLink v5 or v6 is legacy, but it's usually expensive - $130- $180.

btw, all of these are rolling code, but some have different names, CodeDodger, MyQ, etc for the latest ones...

·
Registered
451 Posts
The module is only getting power from your Audi - you need the HomeLink module for your doors - there are door openers out there (mostly 1 -2 years old or newer) that REQUIRE the latest HomeLink revision 5 or 6 to work. Many of the modules on ebay etc. are v3 or v4 - so check compatibility of your door opener with the HomeLink version before you buy. I think that HomeLink v5 or v6 is legacy, but it's usually expensive - $130- $180.

btw, all of these are rolling code, but some have different names, CodeDodger, MyQ, etc for the latest ones...
Why homelink v5 or v6 if the one you have in Post #1 is about 20 bucks.

Guess I need to do some research on my garage door opener to see which one is compatable.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks like mine uses Codedodger. Hope I can find a homelink that uses it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found it on the Gentex site but at $250, ouch....Guess I need to look around.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have Overheadoors (Destiny 1500s) with CodeDodger2 Remotes (O3T) but NOT the Door Report Network Adaptor (I use Control4 monitoring instead), and v4 works fine ...The HomeLink module at the head of this thread is a v4

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have Overheadoors (Destiny 1500s) with CodeDodger2 Remotes (O3T) but NOT the Door Report Network Adaptor (I use Control4 monitoring instead), and v4 works fine ...The HomeLink module at the head of this thread is a v4
So I can use any homelink as long as it has rolling codes???

Otherwise, I was looking at this one because of codedodger

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=20004103

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think you need that one unless you have the Network Adaptor for remote position indication (Door Report)...

·
Registered
451 Posts
The first step has been tested and passed.

Homelink module (like the one at post #1 ) was received and tested using a 9v battery and I was able to program the garage door.

Now to call the shop tomorrow to see if he can get me in next Saturday to install the Homelink either in the visor or headliner.

Hopefully at the same time he can install my MMI folding bin.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts