Audi Q3 Forum banner

Hw can I track the vehicle / order?

47K views 94 replies 17 participants last post by  archrenov8 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me where I can track the vehicle?

I put a down on a 2016 Q3 that was ordered by a dealership. The vehicle details sheet has the Comm number, VIN, etc. I've been asking my salesperson for the vessel name, etc, but she cannot provide any info. She said she did not have any of that info, and that she would only be notified when it is coming in.

Some of the the info from the vehicle details sheet. Does it mean anything? I read somewhere that said VW and Audi uses PWL as the carrier.

vehicle status: in transit from factory
production week: 3015
eta: 08/2015

#3 ·
gta1216....I also have gotten no help from the dealer in tracking the car and Audi's progress tracking system leaves a lot be desired. In fact that last time I got an official notice from Audi was June 24th, when my car finished production and went to the port for shipment out of Europe. Thanks to Roger looking up the ship I have been able to keep track of the progress and the car is now making it's way to the port in SoCal, scheduled to arrive on the 11th. I assume I'll get a note from Audi telling me it's arrived, which will come after I already know it's landed based on the report from the ship....and at that point it will have been a month and a half since the last official update. It's a frustrating process for anyone that likes to be informed....At least you have an ETA. I have been given nothing by the dealer.....

#11 ·
Now that's a funny story. Thanks for sharing. I have to echo that "Roger is THE man" on this. And thanks to Roger providing the ship name and marine tracking website, I know that my Audi just hit port in San Diego this morning. I was showing my wife how I could see the ship moving across the water and finally docking and she was giving me this look that told me perhaps I was being a bit obsessive. But then she explained that it was an innate sense of curiousity that drove me to watch a tiny green object skip across a map of the harbor in San Diego, and then to go to street view to see what the port looks like (lots of cars lined up)...I thought to myself...that sounds so much better than "obsessive"....

In any case now that my car has made it all the way from Europe to San Diego and is within spit'n distance from the dealer (well if you drive 100mph up the freeway like most SoCal people), I'm hoping the guy will soon be able to do the complex algorithm that calculates when the car will get to Portland and finally I will have a delivery date....well plus or minus a month or something like that in case the trucker ties one on and gets lost, or they go to the wrong Portland (Maine). This is quite an adventure.

I did order a bike rack for the car today...which means that I have faith that it will get here someday. Now I just have to figure out how to get a trailer hitch mounted. But that's another thread...

#13 ·
I like kicks - thanks y'all - but I'm no magician - just like to help and know a few things ... Truth is, I'm a brand fan and really want you to enjoy your Audi like I think it makes sense to - Kb !!

#14 ·
Roger helped my youngest granddaughter learn a lot about shipping, commerce, and geography by tipping her off to the name of the ship carrying her grandmother's Q3 from Emden to Houston.

She tracked the ship for quite awhile before it disappeared from the tracking website not long after it left Jacksonville, Florida about three days ago. At that time I told her she should look up information about the Bermuda Triangle, which she did, but she also informed me the ship was "just out of range." But just an hour ago she called to tell me "Roger's ship" has shown up on the website about 140 miles from Houston, and is expected to arrive there early Monday morning.

Tracking the ship has enabled my granddaughter to learn about the various ships that transport cars, cargo, and people around the world, but also she is learning her world geography, telling me the ship traveled from Egypt to Greece to Belgium, and to Emden, Germany before departing for Brunswick, Georgia, Jacksonville, Florida, and now Houston.

If all goes well, it would appear our Q3 will arrive in Oregon about three weeks earlier than expected, but more importantly, a young girl has learned about world commerce and geography that she can share with her second grade classmates just three weeks from now.

#18 ·
btw y'all - gta1216 who's this thread's OP has never reached back to me - hope he/she gets what he/she needs from somebody ...

#19 · (Edited)
Well, my granddaughter tracked the Dover Highway (and her grandmother's Q3) the final 70 nautical miles from the Gulf of Mexico where it was at anchor for 24 hours, to Galveston Bay, Trinity Bay, past Morgan's Point and Baytown, before it made a sharp left turn near the Battleship Texas Historic Site, and made it's way up the Houston Shipping Channel (commonly called the Buffalo Bayou) where it was finally nudged toward the dock in front of Houston Port Authority building the by tow ship/tug, Chloe 2, at 10pm last evening.

My granddaughter watched the progress of the ship for over 4 hours last evening on the tracking website, marinetraffic.com while having Google Earth displayed on a second screen so she could learn all about that area of Texas and the Gulf Coast, and she is now fully invested in about 10 other ships she "met along the way," and will keep an eye on them until she finally gets bored or school begins.

So now the real race begins.....cableguy's Q3 arrived in San Diego a couple of days ago and our Q3 arrived in Houston last night....now, which one will get to Portland first?

(BTW, for frame of reference and for future buyers, the build of our Q3 was completed on July 13, it was loaded on the ship on July 29, and one would presume it is being unloaded from the ship in Houston today, August 18.)

#20 ·
I just freakin LOVE this - PLEASE keep telling us the play by play all the way to school and her first ride -

#24 ·
Give it to me (PM if you like) and I'll get some info for you ...

#25 ·
Your car was complete on the 29th of July and is on the Kentucky Highway which is literally about to berth at Jacksonville (within an hour or so - ETA 1800 UTC) - it left Emden Germany on the 21st of August and left Davisville, RI on the 2nd. If your ABS sends a letter of expedition request to the port (AoA's agent there), you could prolly get your car released TOMORROW - and headed to your dealer by the afternoon or Monday and possibly in your dealer's lot by Tuesday or Wednesday. Call them NOW !! Good luck - and let us know how it goes ...

Reactions: rokutman
#27 ·
Tracking New Q3

Have to say my dealer has been little to no help. My car arrived in Jacksonville last Saturday (thanks again to Roger) but my sales person just keeps blowing me off. I have arrange transportation to get from Chattanooga to Knoxville but he just keeps ignoring my requests for a target date. His last email said he had enrolled me in an email program and that I would hear shortly. Nada. I guess because I bought the loaded Q3 through USAA I am a low priority for them. Really disappointed at this point, my past experience with BMW's system for tracking orders far surpassed this.

#28 ·
Roger's the Man

Again, thanks to Roger I know that my Q3 has been released to a transporter and I "may" be able to pick it up next week. Based upon my experience and what I have seen on this forum I think Audi is still not sensitive to its enthusiasts. Maybe its just the new generation of car salesmen but I know that 30 years ago my MB sales people were professionals with 20+ years at the same dealer and they were also enthusiasts.

#29 ·
Maybe its just the new generation of car salesmen but I know that 30 years ago my MB sales people were professionals with 20+ years at the same dealer and they were also enthusiasts.
Oh, no doubt about it....the old enthusiast/sellers who tended to make car buying a positive experience have been replaced by the young guns who make less per unit sold, but who also sell more units.

I'm acquainted with a number of "older generation" car sellers who lament the change from the personal touch of salesmanship, because now that all buyers know the dollar difference between dealer invoice and MSRP, the personal touch can be one of the few things to differentiate one dealership from another.

#30 ·
Q3 Whereart Thou?

Well, according to Roger my Q3 was released to a carrier in Jacksonville last Thursday, Sep 10, and still no word that it has arrived at my dealer in Knoxville. Tomorrow was my last shot at a ride to Knoxville this week so it looks like I won't be picking it up till next week. A bit disappointed, I have to admit, as I was hoping to have it to play with this weekend.

#31 ·
Well, according to Roger my Q3 was released to a carrier in Jacksonville last Thursday, Sep 10, and still no word that it has arrived at my dealer in Knoxville. Tomorrow was my last shot at a ride to Knoxville this week so it looks like I won't be picking it up till next week. A bit disappointed, I have to admit, as I was hoping to have it to play with this weekend.
Your car hit the dealer (Harper) yesterday - according to Audi ... Call them first thing and tell them you know it's there :nerd: - a birdy told you so >:D

#33 ·
You have my sympathy Rokutman...I've been through this. There are impacts related to the date when a new car arrives - like trying to sell off one's current car or take out a loan, etc. One would like to think that when you spent $40k or so on a car you would get some personal service to help understand when you'll be getting your car...but I think these folks either don't care to help or have been burned by trying to estimate the timing - so they are gun shy. On top of that they don't want to take the time or enable the customer to track the car beyond the paltry, shamefully lacking tracking that comes from Audi via email, wrapped in glowing words when you first order the car. Talk about a mistake in setting customer perception!

In any event, now that I have my car in my garage with a weeks driving under my belt, I can say that it was worth the wait and I do love the car. Soon you too will hopefully feel this way. As to the Audi shipment tracking experience....not sure there's any energy there for them to improve it for that likely small percentage of us that's interested.

#36 ·
No dealer extras being installed. I figure that either (1) my Q3 is one of a number of new Audis that arrived Tuesday and they're prepping them in order sequence (mine was just ordered roughly 3-4 weeks ago), (2) I am a new customer for this dealer and one or more regular customers had cars arrive, or (3) the PDI/detail comment was a handy excuse for my ABS to explain why he had not alerted me to the Q3's arrival. It could also be a combination of reasons but I believe #3 is involved in any case.

The good news is that I can pick it up tomorrow and put the purchase experience behind me. In the positive column my ABS did track down an available Q3 in transit that was equipped the way I wanted and obtained it for me. Given some of the lengthy order experiences I've read of on the forum my 3-4 weeks is nothing to complain about.

#38 ·
... The good news is that I can pick it up tomorrow and put the purchase experience behind me. In the positive column my ABS did track down an available Q3 in transit that was equipped the way I wanted and obtained it for me. Given some of the lengthy order experiences I've read of on the forum my 3-4 weeks is nothing to complain about.
You're ABSOLUTELY right ... now let the car itself deliver the rest of your adventure - it'll be worth it ;)

#39 ·
Picked Up My Q3

I have to say that after all my bitching and moaning the delivery experience at Harper Audi was first class. I left Chattanooga about 0815 and arrived in Knoxville at 1000. Michael, my ABS spent 2 hours with me going over the Q3 and its features. The F&I guy had my paperwork ready and we handled the transaction in roughly 15 minutes. Oscar, the sales manager, spent time with me to ensure that all was well. Since I had driven in from Chattanooga they even offered to buy me lunch but I passed on the offer as I was more anxious to get in some wheel time.

The trip back to Chattanooga was great, albeit a bit faster as I found my Q3 to have more than ample power for an interstate run. When I got back to Signal Mountain I was further amazed at how the Q3 handled the ascent. I'm beginning to think that I will not have the ECU flashed as I was more than pleased with the Q3's performance. I may consider the throttle tip in mod that Roger has as long as it does not affect the warranty.

This is one fun vehicle and it deserves its nomenclature as it is a "Q-ship".

#40 ·
Glad that ll went well - I think you'll still be amazed at the difference the SprintBooster makes (or Pedal Box if you prefer more granularity of adjustments) - but enjoy for now and worry about that later. No warranty issues btw, does NOT affect anything that would throw a DTC -

#41 ·
My Q3

My experience so far reminds me of my first BMW 2002. I had driven a VW bug my last two years on active duty and my three years in college. As soon as I graduated I bought my BMW 2002. I loved it, it's responsiveness and the fact that it was the ultimate sports coupe. My Q3 reminds me of those times, the power and responsiveness, its handling and the fun it is to drive. Thank you Audi for helping me to return to those wonderful days 50 years ago. I love this crossover.

#44 ·
Your car : a nice A4, is on HOLD at the factory for SPEC, that prolly means a major component(s) of your Prestige Pkg. The HOLD is effective 7/7/16. I'd suggest a follow-up with your ABS at the Audi Exchange or a chat with Christine Clarke there to get further updates. Also realize that your order was just finalized on June 20th, so there won't be a lot of news too soon. Ask your ABS to sign you up for Audi Customer-in-Waiting, a production tracking service. As you get notifications closer to actual production (week 34; 22 Aug -28 Aug) you can check again. Nothing much will be noted before ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.