Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The premium compact crossover segment is all the rage right now. It seems that every time you turn around there is another new entrant to the segment. One of the latest to throw its hat into the ring is Infiniti with its QX30 crossover concept. The production version of this concept will compete directly with vehicles like the Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes-Benz GLA. Here I look into the QX30 to see how it stacks up the Audi Q3.

The Infiniti QX30 concept was unveiled at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show. It is basically a jacked up version of the brand's Q30 hatchback. Both vehicles are built on the MFA platform, which also underpins the Mercedes-Benz GLA. In fact, the QX30 will also be sharing engines with Mercedes-Benz. It will run on the same 2.0-litre turbocharged 4-cylinder engine that is found in the Mercedes-Benz GLA. That engine will be connected to a 7-speed automatic transmission.

The QX30 will get more than one engine option, but those other engines will also likely be shared with Mercedes- Benz. That means that it will likely get some smaller 4 bangers in both petrol and diesel versions. In addition, this leaves the door open for a more powerful QX30 that could compete with the likes of the Audi RS Q3. The diesel engines are unlikely to make it to America though.

So how does the QX30 stack up to the Audi Q3? The GLA's 2L turbo 4-cylinder engine that will be shared with the QX30 produces 208 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. The Audi Q3's 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder produces an almost identical 200 horsepower, though the torque lags behind slightly with a rating of 207 lb-ft. So as far as performance goes the two vehicles should be quite similar.

When it comes to styling the QX30 and Q30 both look great, but cater to different tastes. Infiniti has more exaggerated styling when compared to the conservative styling of Audi. It is not as though one car is better looking than the other. In this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The final factor is price. The QX30 is estimated to be priced at $30,000, which is a bit cheaper than the Audi Q3, which starts at $32,500. Infiniti should be able to capture some buyers by offering a similar vehicle for a cheaper price, but Infiniti still will have a hard time rising to the upper echelons of the luxury car market with the big German brands.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sorry guys, the QX30 looks amazing! Fortunately there's a whole host of things about the Q3 to keep it ahead of what infiniti can currently offer...so far.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Interesting, I didn't realize Infinity and Mercedes had a collaboration going.

I considered a QX 50 when doing my research but to get a passenger's seat with the adjustments we wanted meant going for a package and getting that package constituted getting another package. Totaling approx $7000. Most of the things in those packages, we were not interested in. The Q3 had 12 way seats standard ;one of the things that made it right for us.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the Q3 has a good bunch of standard features. Not sure how the QX30 will compare in that regard. A lot of people will probably prefer the design of the QX30 to Audi design. Mostly because Audi has pretty boring design. Its still nice, but its not that exciting.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Nissan is actually building the CLA already for Mercedes, so this engine deal is a natural. As for the styling, as was said, in the eye of the beholder - one person's boredom I suppose is someone else's appreciation and another's excitement is the other other's cartoon. I'm an ol fart so I'm clearly not in the exciting cartoon-car-of-the-future look. I don't think cars should have an organic HR Geiger (Alien) look to them, sorry. This seems to be a trend with the Japanese and the interiors get even more bizarre. I'll keep my Audi design language of form-follows-function, happily thank you...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do keep in mind that this is a concept car. Although the production vehicle will look very close to this concept, it will be toned down a bit. Not sure if that changes your mind or at least makes you reserve judgement on it till you see the production version.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have not seen one in person but I do like the look of this, along with the new Maxima.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new Maxima is really good looking. For a mainstream high-end sedan, it is really one of the nicest ones on the market right now. The new CIvic is coming out soon though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts