Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea how difficult or easy it would be to swap out the standard aluminum look interior dash and door trim for the walnut?

My '01 Audi has the walnut and for my taste, it looks much warmer and richer than the metal that which my Q3 was so equipped.

If doable, any idea of cost?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Actually this is quite doable, lots of folks have done it on many recent Audis. In fact, I suppose some dealers have done it for new car buyers too. The cost of the bits is about $120-180 each piece usually, and R & R is prolly a couple hours too. You can figure perhaps 10-25¢ on the dollar for the pieces you take off on ebay - IF you can find a buyer. Believe it or not some folks just don't like the wood. In my car the Balsamic is terrific - in my S5, I really like the carbon - but the metals have never really grabbed me.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Audi has some (I think for the Q3, there's six - Piano Black - gloss, Aluminum Hatch, Aluminum Matte, SS Screen, Balsamic and Carbon - RS only, but will fit all), others have some (clones of Audi's and maybe more)...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Are there any trims you guys would want to see audi come out with in the future? anything that would be 'better'

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Cuz perhaps some folks find a car in stock that is close to what they would order if they could wait, but may look into changing something like this trim for example ...

Happens all the time - just ask any dealer how often they've swapped wheels, interiors, trim etc. to satisfy a new car deal for what's in stock or coming sooner than the next 6-8-12 weeks, where otherwise their customer in hand might succumb to another dealer's stock or worse, the competition.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Personally, for S-line cars or just my own choice, I like the Carbon Atlas inlays. They convey a much more sporting image to me than gloss (Piano) black or Matte Aluminum...

Various woods convey a more luxurious note too, and many folk would appreciate a few different color tones to go with their choice in leathers. I'm not sure why we don't get the choices available in RoW for this, it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Personally, I'd have gone for the Larch Wood inlays, had they been available...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh yeah? How'd that option come up? I'd have liked the Larch Wood from the factory but I like the silver just fine and don't think I'd go through the hassle of changing it. But maybe in a few years it'll be a good time for a change?

We had the option, but felt the silver looked better with the black interior.

But there are aftermarket kits you can buy for woodtrim.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
We in the NAR couldn't get Larchwood inlays, cuz they were discontinued in 2013, replaced by Balsamic. but you can still get them as spare parts ...

·
Registered
200 Posts
If anyone's curious about what Larch look(ed)s like, here's a video clip with a pretty good shot of it.

There was a better video of another Korean spec Q3 from in a dealership but I can't locate it now...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Wow - THAT's much darker than the shots I'd seen of it before - which looked similar in color and depth (see below) to the current Balsamic - but the characteristic grain pattern for the Larch is certainly there. btw, that's part of the reason to discontinue - Audi's supplier couldn't keep consistent patterns in the veneers to satisfy them.

more here : http://www.audiworld.com/articles/the-audi-q3-new-ideas-for-the-interior/

·
Registered
603 Posts
I like that material. It is black and pretty neutral but at the same time it is more interesting to look at and looks better quality than some of the other more neutral materials that I've seen used.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the matte finish on it - really unique and interesting and nicely offset by the thing silver strip and quattro badge. That's a neat article, Roger, and really explains why the materials appear the way they do!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
As a curiosity, I priced up the Larch Wood trim as new parts, and for the 6 pieces, it comes to just under $1K. And also, the Carbon I'd like would run an additional $300...:eek:
Not for now -:|

·
Registered
113 Posts
Would it not be easier and a lot cheaper to get the existing trim pieces wrapped in a wood (or whatever) wrap?

I understand a lot of them look extremely good.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello bb :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Haha.......not you again! :laugh:

Its an invasion..........I thought I'd see what the Q3 news and gossip is across the pond

1 - 20 of 28 Posts