Audi Q3 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Unfortunately, nothing ever good comes from these kinds of things. Be grateful that brush DIDN'T turn into a bump and spin and cause some SERIOUS injury and damage - from the sound of it, it could easily have been a whole mess. Everyone above has contributed some positive advice. Stay calm, speak of the facts, admit to no wrong-doing - ever. Your insurance company will process everything unless or until you are charged and need to show up in court. Dispute with them what you can prove or counter claim - if he has no witnesses, it will become a mutual draw. DO NOT admit fault just because you were making a move - that doesn't yield the road or other 'common courtesy of the road.'

As for cameras, consider them an almost necessary thing these days - just take a look at the Russian roads and their driving behavior - it's UNBELIEVABLE and most folks just drive off and leave it to their pocketbooks (if rich) and insurance companies if they even have one. YIKES! Try blackboxmycar.com, perhaps a bit pricey but some of the best hardware out there...
I'm glad that no one was hurt (even including the jerk) and little bit wiser (hopefully) after this incident.

As for the camera, I placed an order for blackvue and power magic pro (timed hardwire kit). I will attempt to install the camera myself (I think hiding the wires under the A pillar is the toughest part).

·
Registered
210 Posts
If he continues to be an ass and decided to get his free rim repair from this, I'm going to file insurance fraud.
A reputable body shop will not buy into it. They'll fix the related damage only. I paid $150 out of pocket for a rashed rim that was not part of damage from another car.
Driving a 2000 car he's scraping and will try anything and everything. I would say you (might) have the right to know what was claimed and repaired.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Expensive Repair!!

I feel for you Monsoon. My wife's car was bumped in the back. Thought it was no big deal. Attached is the repair cost!!!! Apparently there is some type of accident absorption material in the bumper that necessitated replacement. Cars was dropped off with initial idea that the bumper was repairable. Took a week for the insurance company (Safeco) to approve bumper replacement (and a week for an adjuster to see the vehicle - wouldn't recommend Safeco). Took over a week to get the new bumper. Car was in the shop from 11/14 to 12/9.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I feel for you Monsoon. My wife's car was bumped in the back. Thought it was no big deal. Attached is the repair cost!!!! Apparently there is some type of accident absorption material in the bumper that necessitated replacement. Cars was dropped off with initial idea that the bumper was repairable. Took a week for the insurance company (Safeco) to approve bumper replacement (and a week for an adjuster to see the vehicle - wouldn't recommend Safeco). Took over a week to get the new bumper. Car was in the shop from 11/14 to 12/9.
Fortunately we caught the hitter and they were insured .It was a parking lot hit by someone in a hurry and trying to run. Anyway a scuff turned into a major project at 3 weeks. The A6 has blind spot indicators that had to be re-calibrated. That was costly but not my responsibility. Everyone keep something in mind...IF you need a body shop call Audi and ask who they recommend. They will/should recommend a certified Audi repair center. And it does make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
THAT looks like a bogus padded estimate to me - why charge for BOTH spoiler and bumper cover - they're the same piece, and don't even look damaged. Ditto the trim - and then the labor for that - yikes! There is a foam insert behind the bumper cover, but for it to need replacement, the cover would have to permanently deformed - it's NOT. I think they're collecting this from the insurance company and pocketing a lot. I bet a shop near me could've honorably fixed that for less than $800 - those guys look like crooks - highway robbers, my momma used to say ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
THAT looks like a bogus padded estimate to me - why charge for BOTH spoiler and bumper cover - they're the same piece, and don't even look damaged. Ditto the trim - and then the labor for that - yikes! There is a foam insert behind the bumper cover, but for it to need replacement, the cover would have to permanently deformed - it's NOT. I think they're collecting this from the insurance company and pocketing a lot. I bet a shop near me could've honorably fixed that for less than $800 - those guys look like crooks - highway robbers, my momma used to say ...
I agree. That is superficial damage which AT THE MOST should have cost $1000.00.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That is costing $4000 to fix?!? That's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
210 Posts
As for the camera, I placed an order for blackvue and power magic pro (timed hardwire kit). I will attempt to install the camera myself (I think hiding the wires under the A pillar is the toughest part).
Please follow up on this. I might be interested in a good system. I'm currently in S. Florida. The talented parking lot drivers are best known for "parking by ear" or driving into each other. My community has some of the best of the worst and irresponsible drivers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Please follow up on this. I might be interested in a good system. I'm currently in S. Florida. The talented parking lot drivers are best known for "parking by ear" or driving into each other. My community has some of the best of the worst and irresponsible drivers.
I will try to take photos as I do the installation and start a thread on dashcam installation.

Reactions: rnlabas

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any follow up? I'm in the market for a Dash Cam set up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Any follow up? I'm in the market for a Dash Cam set up.
I really like my dashcam. I actually purchased BlackSys CH-100B which has wireless connection so you can check the videos on your phone.

Installation is pretty straight forward if you know which fuses to tap into.

If you end up buying the dashcam, check out my posts on installation as it will give you tips on which fuses to use and which ones to not use.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts