Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have the Q3, we're in the learning process and the Mrs. and I had our first discussion of what is and isn't.

She claims that the salesman told her when we first looked at the Q3 you have the option of using a key to start the car or keyless.

I told her "sweetheart" I hate to say it but you're wrong. The Keyless and key option was on the MB GLK 350 that we also looked at.

But there is a plug on the steering wheel column where the key start would be.

So besides me always being wrong...LOL...Who's right with this one?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
There's no place to stick the key part of the fob for starting - it's technically keyless start, but you must have the fob inside the car. Audi has a pretty sophisticated proximity field sensor for the key fob - you cannot leave it in the car and lock for example, even the trunk. It knows the difference between the driver area and trunk area and even 'just' (about 1/2 meter) outside the window too...

The Q3 fob looks like the older switchblade keys, not the newer (2008) keyless versions, but there is no dash port for it either. All the functionality of the newer version is present in this fob, with the added ability to have the key handy for just the doorlocks...

Also, all you have to do to lock the car is merely swipe a finger over the small indented rectangle on the door handle - similarly, merely approaching the vehicle (1-2 meters) will illuminate the interior lights, and a grab of the handle unlock the driver's door (you can change this in settings to unlock the whole car if you wish).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no place to stick the key part of the fob for starting - it's technically keyless start, but you must have the fob inside the car. Audi has a pretty sophisticated proximity field sensor for the key fob - you cannot leave it in the car and lock for example, even the trunk. It knows the difference between the driver area and trunk area and even 'just' (about 1/2 meter) outside the window too...

The Q3 fob looks like the older switchblade keys, not the newer (2008) keyless versions, but there is no dash port for it either. All the functionality of the newer version is present in this fob, with the added ability to have the key handy for just the doorlocks...

Also, all you have to do to lock the car is merely swipe a finger over the small indented rectangle on the door handle - similarly, merely approaching the vehicle (1-2 meters) will illuminate the interior lights, and a grab of the handle unlock the driver's door (you can change this in settings to unlock the whole car if you wish).

Ah ha!!! So I was right...:)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Basque in your glory of this one - >:D soon, you'll be back to being "wrong" most of the time anyway... ;)

Reactions: deverelle
1 - 4 of 4 Posts