Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a potential new Q3 owner and have been reading this great forum for the past few days. I currently have a Scion iQ and a 2004 Lexus RX330. I'm looking at trading in the Lexus for a Q3. My reason for liking the Q3 is it is the perfect size for sport handling but yet also having some room inside. Reminds me a little of a "hot hatchback" but a little higher off the ground. What I really want is a true sport car but what I really need is a crossover with some room so here I am trying to balance those conflicting qualities. If I get the Q3 I would likely be wanting to tune it up a bit to satisfy my performance desires.

I am currently trying to decide if I should get the sport package which my dealer is telling me is impossible to get right now and will have to wait until February to get it. My only reason for wanting the sport package is for the "Audi Drive Select". I have some questions though that I hope some of you can answer for me.

1. It appears that the Q3 does not have adjustable suspension so what does the ADS actually adjust? Steering, Transmission, Throttle?
2. Without ADS, what is the default driving mode of the car. Auto, Dynamic, Comfort?
3. Can ADS be enabled without the sport package since it is largely a software feature? Can it be added later?
4. If I don't care about rough weather traction does the FWD version give a little more pep or better handling due to less weight? Does the Quattro really do that much for street driving on this model?

I've seen some rumors that the new 2017 Q3 will have some changes. Since this Q3 model has been around for some time in foreign markets and is using an older engine and transmission I would think the model refresh is due soon. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks,

-Andy

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've seen some rumors that the new 2017 Q3 will have some changes. Since this Q3 model has been around for some time in foreign markets and is using an older engine and transmission I would think the model refresh is due soon. Any info on this would be appreciated.
I'll take a crack at this question.

The Q3 has been around beginning MY 2012 in Europe, so based on VAG's model cycles, the refresh occurred this model year - 2016.
Which is mid-cycle.

I would expect to see - at most - a handful of equipment/packaging tweaks, but that's all.

The next big redesign is anticipated to be 2018 based on a 6-7 year product cycle.

We should see the new Q3 on these US shores ~ 2019 at earliest.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'm a potential new Q3 owner and have been reading this great forum for the past few days. I currently have a Scion iQ and a 2004 Lexus RX330. I'm looking at trading in the Lexus for a Q3. My reason for liking the Q3 is it is the perfect size for sport handling but yet also having some room inside. Reminds me a little of a "hot hatchback" but a little higher off the ground. What I really want is a true sport car but what I really need is a crossover with some room so here I am trying to balance those conflicting qualities. If I get the Q3 I would likely be wanting to tune it up a bit to satisfy my performance desires.

I am currently trying to decide if I should get the sport package which my dealer is telling me is impossible to get right now and will have to wait until February to get it. My only reason for wanting the sport package is for the "Audi Drive Select". I have some questions though that I hope some of you can answer for me.

1. It appears that the Q3 does not have adjustable suspension so what does the ADS actually adjust? Steering, Transmission, Throttle?
2. Without ADS, what is the default driving mode of the car. Auto, Dynamic, Comfort?
3. Can ADS be enabled without the sport package since it is largely a software feature? Can it be added later?
4. If I don't care about rough weather traction does the FWD version give a little more pep or better handling due to less weight? Does the Quattro really do that much for street driving on this model?

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks,

-Andy

Hey Andy - First, welcome to the forum - glad yuo already think it's an okay place to hang out for Q3 stuff. We look forward to your joining the ownership ranks and as you can see by my garage, I have no trouble with the Q3 being a sport kinda vehicle. You won't be disappointed. s for your queries, let me respond :

1) You're right - steering, shift points and throttle are the heart of ADS for the Q3 - and they are a sharpening of each (a bit more for the gearbox than simply sport mode too).

2) Without ADS, the setting is essentially Comfort, with a little tweak (about 25%) on the steering towards Dynamic.

3) Not yet - even though there appears to be a Russian video of enabling the selection screen but no verification that that code actually enables the actual mode execution. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that no one has found/figured out the codes completely, correctly or confidently (and Ross-Tech is prolly the master at this) just yet.

4) the Front Track model weighs about 200 lbs less, so that can translate into a very real gain of about a 1/2 sec to 100 kph - for what that's worth. And the Quattro model uses a Haldex diff between front and rear, so is about 85-90% front wheel drive most of the time.
If your Q3 is strictly for fair-weather use, you might enjoy that 1/2 sec and the sack of 200 lbs out of the front-middle of the car, but I would never give up Quattro.

My TT is Front Track and the fancy footsie I have to play off the line in a hurry is ALWAYS (even in the dry) a Mambo. In my Q3, all I have to do is mash the gas - so I think you'd loose the weight and traction POTENTIAL advantage in just about EVERY aggressive throttle input until well moving. If you like torque-steer and squealing front tires for that advantage - go for it.

imho, most folks who are happy with FT are way easier on the throttle than I and don't even know what I'm talking about...

my 2 cents -

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Here's my understanding/view...

1. The ADS won't change the suspension settings at all, at least not for the North America version. I am positive (note that mine doesn't have ADS too) that it changes the steering and throttle, but not too sure about transmission. Note that there is Sport mode too (independent of ADS), so I am not sure if ADS will just turn on Sport mode (in Dynamic setting) or Sport mode will be on top of Dynamic... Please chime in for those who have ADS.

2. I am guessing if not exactly Comfort, it will be very close to Comfort.

3. There are some discussions about this (see reply from AudiFox), but I don't think it's been confirmed. I would like to know the answer too.

4. Officially from Audi I think the FWD is slightly faster (0.4 secs) than the Quattro for 0-60. Personally I don't think I can feel the difference. On the other hand Quattro helps on cornering in spirited driving mode.

Have you looked at SprintBooster? It remaps the throttle curve just like what the ADS does (even more aggressive than ADS). There is a thread here discussing the SprintBooster, you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ADS and more

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I get better response from this forum than I do the Audi dealer. I think the sales commissions should go here instead. I'm really leaning towards buying a Q3, it's just a matter of options now.

It sounds like the ADS for the US market is just steering and throttle response. The comment about "Dampers" is not applicable to the US then or does this apply to something other than suspension? I assume by throttle response it's just the map of the pedal and not anything to do with the engine tune to rev up/down faster?

I'm vague on the affect ADS has on the transmission though. Does it do something different than the "S"port mode or does it just automatically adjust into "S" for you when you mash the pedal?

Anybody have personal feedback on how the ADS affects steering? Is this a big deal? Are the paddle shifters really any better than the +/- on the gear shift? Just trying to figure out if this sport package is really worth the extra cash and a three month wait.

The other issue I'm running into is that they will not sell me a Q3 without the "Technology Package" unless I want to order one in. I can't believe that all of the Q3's in the US right now all have this package and none have the sport package. I'm trying to buy a car here not an iPad. I just think $2,600 is a lot to pay for side assist and sat nav. Am I missing something here?

It looks pretty conclusive that 2017 rumors of new engines and such are just that. The timeline link was really helpful. Again, stuff the dealer didn't know anything about.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

-Andy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Andy
I never thought I'd say it but I really like the side assist. It's saved me more than a few times from a major accident.

I guess after having a 10 year old car without nav I wanted a few more toys in the car so I opted for the NAV too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to get one as a dealer trade with no tech package, no backup camera, no side assist and no maps. Komfort trim level (also no dual climate control, which I also didn't want) in Canada, don't think that trim level exists in the US.

I drove a rental with side assist and didn't like it - perhaps because my old California driving habits include what Ford deemed unsafe lane changes. (25 years driving, never had a lane-change accident). I think front impact protection is more useful.

That being said, I know my sales guy worked to find my 'low tech' ;) vehicle. They are out there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a Q3 without Tech

Ok, looks like my dealer found a Q3 without the Tech Package. Still no sport package though. So now its really a matter of if the sport is that big of a deal. Those that have it, can you tell much of a difference in the steering and just what is the difference, ratio or just less power assist? How do you like the paddle shifters vs the gear shift +/-? Are the sport seats helpful or does the bolstering get in the way? Just looking for opinions.

I also would like to put the rotor style 19x8.5 wheels on it but that means sacrificing what it comes with (18 or 19 is available) which is quite expensive. The dealer doesn't want to sell it to me with the rotor wheels and are saying I can buy them separately from them. So if I do that I guess I have to sell the others. Anyone want a set of 18" or 19" Q3 wheels/tires?

Hope to be a proud Q3 owner soon and join in on the fun.

-Andy

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the sport package. I don't like the seats, my wife's seats are better IMO. I never use the paddles - ever. I just move the selector to D and head out!
My ADS is set to Auto and I never felt the need for any other setting.

If I were to do it again, I would opt out of the sport package and keep the Tech package.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm old, but I like to drive fast. I was loaned a Sports Package Q3 for two days before buying one without....I just didn't need the Sports Package, and like John, find the regular model seats more comfortable.

Regarding the Technology Package....I've got it and I love it!

You can always push the button to turn off the side assist if you find it annoying, but what about the screen if there is not a Tech Package? I assume there is a screen, but what would it display, your radio stations? I always have mine set to nav....my wife always sets it to the radio stations.

Something that probably hasn't entered your mind yet is resale. I would think the Tech Pack would be more popular with 95% of the people who are looking to pick up a used Q3....

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
...Something that probably hasn't entered your mind yet is resale. I would think the Tech Pack would be more popular with 95% of the people who are looking to pick up a used Q3....
Bingo!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm almost 63 and I'm the principal driver of the Q3. My wife and I are both fairly slim and we both like the sport seats (did one long trip so far and felt very comfortable). We had a little time in a demo and I'm assuming it didn't have teh sport seats...but it wasn't enough time for us to be able to compare. I think you should try both seats before deciding if you have an opportunity. I have not used the paddle shifters and have not done sufficient testing of the different drive settings on the same course to really compare the difference in throttle and steering. I'm thinking that the paddle shifters might come in handy for downshifting during winter driving...but TBD on that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are all good points that I'm considering. I'm trying to balance features that are most important to me with the limited budget I have.

I'm trying to decide if the sport package is something I can completely do without. So I'm left with two questions:

1. On the transmission, does the paddle shifters simply move into the next or previous gear but leave the mode in automatic and is this different than the +/- on the gear shift. Does selecting this on the gear shift put you in a manual only mode or simply up/down shift while in auto?

2. Does the steering dynamic mode just change the amount of power assist or does it change ratio as well?

Thanks again,

-Andy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm almost 63 and I'm the principal driver of the Q3. My wife and I are both fairly slim and we both like the sport seats (did one long trip so far and felt very comfortable). We had a little time in a demo and I'm assuming it didn't have teh sport seats...but it wasn't enough time for us to be able to compare. I think you should try both seats before deciding if you have an opportunity. I have not used the paddle shifters and have not done sufficient testing of the different drive settings on the same course to really compare the difference in throttle and steering. I'm thinking that the paddle shifters might come in handy for downshifting during winter driving...but TBD on that.
Thanks for your input. I'd love to try the seats and paddle shifters, then I wouldn't have to ask you all but my dealer (and all others in the area) don't have a sport model. In fact they tell me there is only one in the entire US right now and it's in CA. It seems there is a big shortage of Q3's right now. If I want a new 2016 it has to come from another dealer not in the midwest. So far getting this car has been a big challenge.

-Andy

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd love to try the seats and paddle shifters, then I wouldn't have to ask you all but my dealer (and all others in the area) don't have a sport model. In fact they tell me there is only one in the entire US right now and it's in CA. It seems there is a big shortage of Q3's right now. If I want a new 2016 it has to come from another dealer not in the midwest. So far getting this car has been a big challenge.-Andy
There is a shortage, but there are cars available.

I stopped by my dealer 3 days ago and there were ZERO Q3's on the lot, but plenty inbound, they said.

I just happened to be in the vicinity of the only other Oregon Audi dealer just after reading your post, and actually saw Q3s on the lot, 3 with the Sports Package....I'm guessing they must be hiding their inventory from other dealers if your guys say the only one in the US is in Cali. :rolleyes:

If I were to offer advice about your purchase it would be: Drive the demo car(s) as much as you can...and don't rush into your purchase. $40K + is a lot of money to spend unless you're convinced the car is right for YOU! My wife loves her Q3, but we shopped and drove for over 3 months before deciding the 2016 Q3 with the Tech Pack was for us.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds like my dealer is trying to steer me into buying the only model they have instead of getting a trade of what I'm asking for. I didn't think it sounded reasonable that every dealer would only order them one way. Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try a different dealer and see what they say. The one that is closest to me is undergoing construction and closed right now so this weekend I'll be going for a drive.

I have been looking at different cars for most of the year and the Q3 is the one I like best. Now my Lexus is having some issues so I need to get rid of it soon. One way or another I hope to get a Q3 on its way this weekend. It's just a matter of trying to understand all of the options without actually being able to test drive them. That's why I've been asking all of these questions here.

This forum has been the best resource anyone can hope for. Thanks everyone for the great input.

-Andy

·
Registered
300 Posts
..snip... So I'm left with two questions:

1. On the transmission, does the paddle shifters simply move into the next or previous gear but leave the mode in automatic and is this different than the +/- on the gear shift. Does selecting this on the gear shift put you in a manual only mode or simply up/down shift while in auto?

2. Does the steering dynamic mode just change the amount of power assist or does it change ratio as well?
1. Once you change gears with either paddles or stick you are placed in manual (M on the dash) mode for a period of time so it holds that gear. I have not figured out what triggers the change back to auto, but it seems time based or flicking the stick back left will trigger auto as well. I have the paddles and would say you can do without them as long as you like steering one handed. If you are in transmission S-port mode you cannot use the stick to change gears.

2) Dynamic mode 'stiffens' the steering with no change in ratio.

My decision to get the Sport package centered on wanting to have as much fun as possible.

You need a VIN to access the user manual online for more answers. PM me if you need a 2015 VIN.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1. Once you change gears with either paddles or stick you are placed in manual (M on the dash) mode for a period of time so it holds that gear. I have not figured out what triggers the change back to auto, but it seems time based or flicking the stick back left will trigger auto as well. I have the paddles and would say you can do without them as long as you like steering one handed. If you are in transmission S-port mode you cannot use the stick to change gears.

2) Dynamic mode 'stiffens' the steering with no change in ratio.

My decision to get the Sport package centered on wanting to have as much fun as possible.

You need a VIN to access the user manual online for more answers. PM me if you need a 2015 VIN.

Thanks a lot for explaining this. It is exactly what I was looking for.

So for me the paddles aren't a big deal and I like the way the standard seats feel (have not sat in sport seats but I understand that the only difference is the side bolstering and leg extension - someone correct me if that's wrong). So for me the sport package is really only giving me an option for a stiffer responding steering (other features are not important to me). Is this really worth it? Do you notice that much difference? Is the standard steering too soft to have fun with?

Also, does the color information display with the Tech package show more info than the standard one? Do you find this useful?

Thanks again for the help. My dealer is still trying to track one down for me.

-Andy

·
Registered
300 Posts
..snip...). So for me the sport package is really only giving me an option for a stiffer responding steering (other features are not important to me). Is this really worth it? Do you notice that much difference? Is the standard steering too soft to have fun with?

Also, does the color information display with the Tech package show more info than the standard one? Do you find this useful?

Thanks again for the help. My dealer is still trying to track one down for me.

-Andy
The seats work well in spirited cornering, but the regular ones are nice enough. We kind of got "the works" knowing we were treating ourselves on a vehicle we will keep quite a while so our decision criteria was kind of "it's only a few bucks more" or "we may as well go all the way". I liked the 19 inch wheels as well and I thought the total package cost was "reasonable". I am sure you will enjoy the standard stuff, unless you are the kind of guy who kicks himself later for not splurging. Now that I think of it the steering change may come with "Dynamic Mode" not the sport package.

I cannot comment on the display contents sorry as I just do not know. I wonder if the manual covers both in detail? Use WA1GFEFSXFR003700 as a serial to see the 2015 manual, others will have to help you get a 2016 VIN.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts