Audi Q3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'm a potential new Q3 owner and have been reading this great forum for the past few days. I currently have a Scion iQ and a 2004 Lexus RX330. I'm looking at trading in the Lexus for a Q3. My reason for liking the Q3 is it is the perfect size for sport handling but yet also having some room inside. Reminds me a little of a "hot hatchback" but a little higher off the ground. What I really want is a true sport car but what I really need is a crossover with some room so here I am trying to balance those conflicting qualities. If I get the Q3 I would likely be wanting to tune it up a bit to satisfy my performance desires.

I am currently trying to decide if I should get the sport package which my dealer is telling me is impossible to get right now and will have to wait until February to get it. My only reason for wanting the sport package is for the "Audi Drive Select". I have some questions though that I hope some of you can answer for me.

1. It appears that the Q3 does not have adjustable suspension so what does the ADS actually adjust? Steering, Transmission, Throttle?
2. Without ADS, what is the default driving mode of the car. Auto, Dynamic, Comfort?
3. Can ADS be enabled without the sport package since it is largely a software feature? Can it be added later?
4. If I don't care about rough weather traction does the FWD version give a little more pep or better handling due to less weight? Does the Quattro really do that much for street driving on this model?

I've seen some rumors that the new 2017 Q3 will have some changes. Since this Q3 model has been around for some time in foreign markets and is using an older engine and transmission I would think the model refresh is due soon. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks,

-Andy

Hey Andy - First, welcome to the forum - glad yuo already think it's an okay place to hang out for Q3 stuff. We look forward to your joining the ownership ranks and as you can see by my garage, I have no trouble with the Q3 being a sport kinda vehicle. You won't be disappointed. s for your queries, let me respond :

1) You're right - steering, shift points and throttle are the heart of ADS for the Q3 - and they are a sharpening of each (a bit more for the gearbox than simply sport mode too).

2) Without ADS, the setting is essentially Comfort, with a little tweak (about 25%) on the steering towards Dynamic.

3) Not yet - even though there appears to be a Russian video of enabling the selection screen but no verification that that code actually enables the actual mode execution. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that no one has found/figured out the codes completely, correctly or confidently (and Ross-Tech is prolly the master at this) just yet.

4) the Front Track model weighs about 200 lbs less, so that can translate into a very real gain of about a 1/2 sec to 100 kph - for what that's worth. And the Quattro model uses a Haldex diff between front and rear, so is about 85-90% front wheel drive most of the time.
If your Q3 is strictly for fair-weather use, you might enjoy that 1/2 sec and the sack of 200 lbs out of the front-middle of the car, but I would never give up Quattro.

My TT is Front Track and the fancy footsie I have to play off the line in a hurry is ALWAYS (even in the dry) a Mambo. In my Q3, all I have to do is mash the gas - so I think you'd loose the weight and traction POTENTIAL advantage in just about EVERY aggressive throttle input until well moving. If you like torque-steer and squealing front tires for that advantage - go for it.

imho, most folks who are happy with FT are way easier on the throttle than I and don't even know what I'm talking about...

my 2 cents -

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
...Something that probably hasn't entered your mind yet is resale. I would think the Tech Pack would be more popular with 95% of the people who are looking to pick up a used Q3....
Bingo!!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
For the info still hanging - Dynamic steering is part of Drive Select not Sport Package, and the color display is both higher in screen resolution and information content/options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts