Audi Q3 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
For the info still hanging - Dynamic steering is part of Drive Select not Sport Package, and the color display is both higher in screen resolution and information content/options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For the info still hanging - Dynamic steering is part of Drive Select not Sport Package, and the color display is both higher in screen resolution and information content/options.
I thought you could only get Drive Select in the sport package? Is there a way to get this without getting the sport? I'd be all over that!

Sounds like the color info display is a nice thing to have then.

I'll be heading over to the dealer today to try to make a deal. They will have to make a trade for the model I want but it is out there and not too far away. I hope I can get them down to invoice price but with having to get it from another dealer I may not have that leverage. Wish me luck.

-Andy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I got my Q3!

Ok, I finally got my Q3 from the dealer. It's a 2016 Premium Plus in monsoon grey with 19" wheels and Tech. Got 7.5% off of retail price so I'm pretty happy about that.

So far I really like this car. I had a few issues though, one was that the salesman stripped out the rear license plate bracket with screws that were too long and a power screwdriver. The captive nuts are now gone with just large round holes and a bunch of plastic shavings. The other was that the battery cover will not stay attached. The little snap-latch does not stay down and it pops loose after a few minutes of driving. The dealer will change the plate holder (although if they were dumb enough to mess it up they will probably mess up the paint trying to remove it). They don't have a fix for the batter cover though.

I also can't seem to get the radio station presets to stay as default in the driver information display. When I leave the car and come back, it goes back to all stations instead of the presets where I left it. I can't believe I have to select to use presets every time I get in the car.

Anyway, thanks to this forum I have already ordered the parts for the folding MMI display screen and will likely get a VCDS Micro-CAN interface so I can do some of the great mods that everyone is talking about on here. Can't wait to start the fun!

-Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok, I finally got my Q3 from the dealer. It's a 2016 Premium Plus in monsoon grey with 19" wheels and Tech. Got 7.5% off of retail price so I'm pretty happy about that.
-Andy
Congrats with your Monsoon. Nice choice. Mine exceeds expectations. It is fun to get in and drive each and every time. Have fun personalizing it. And...that's a very good price.
See if the dealer will replace the entire battery holder. Get everything worked out before you fill out the Satisfaction Survey. The dealer wants a solid 10 rating. Anything less effects their commission. Let them earn it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Congrats with your Monsoon. Nice choice. Mine exceeds expectations. It is fun to get in and drive each and every time. Have fun personalizing it. And...that's a very good price.
See if the dealer will replace the entire battery holder. Get everything worked out before you fill out the Satisfaction Survey. The dealer wants a solid 10 rating. Anything less effects their commission. Let them earn it.
Thanks Monsoon. I too am extremely happy with the Q3. Before I purchased I test drove every sub-compact crossover out there and really nothing can compare to the Q3. It just perfectly balances sport, comfort, and utility so it is everything that I was looking for.

I will take your advice on the Survey. So far they have replaced the rear license plate bracket that they destroyed with the wrong screws. This one seems to be larger than the old one though. Does yours (or anyone else) extend down below the license plate about 10mm? I just don't remember the old one being like that. It's the right size on the top and sides so it seems strange. Maybe it's just me.

-Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Monsoon. I too am extremely happy with the Q3. Before I purchased I test drove every sub-compact crossover out there and really nothing can compare to the Q3. It just perfectly balances sport, comfort, and utility so it is everything that I was looking for.

I will take your advice on the Survey. So far they have replaced the rear license plate bracket that they destroyed with the wrong screws. This one seems to be larger than the old one though. Does yours (or anyone else) extend down below the license plate about 10mm? I just don't remember the old one being like that. It's the right size on the top and sides so it seems strange. Maybe it's just me.

-Andy
Does this help. And I like to let the salesman know the survey will be filled out with 10 across the board after everything is resolved. There was no reason/excuse for the plate holder getting damaged. Gee...some people cannot literally tighten a screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm a potential new Q3 owner and have been reading this great forum for the past few days. I currently have a Scion iQ and a 2004 Lexus RX330. I'm looking at trading in the Lexus for a Q3. My reason for liking the Q3 is it is the perfect size for sport handling but yet also having some room inside. Reminds me a little of a "hot hatchback" but a little higher off the ground. What I really want is a true sport car but what I really need is a crossover with some room so here I am trying to balance those conflicting qualities. If I get the Q3 I would likely be wanting to tune it up a bit to satisfy my performance desires.

I am currently trying to decide if I should get the sport package which my dealer is telling me is impossible to get right now and will have to wait until February to get it. My only reason for wanting the sport package is for the "Audi Drive Select". I have some questions though that I hope some of you can answer for me.

1. It appears that the Q3 does not have adjustable suspension so what does the ADS actually adjust? Steering, Transmission, Throttle?
2. Without ADS, what is the default driving mode of the car. Auto, Dynamic, Comfort?
3. Can ADS be enabled without the sport package since it is largely a software feature? Can it be added later?
4. If I don't care about rough weather traction does the FWD version give a little more pep or better handling due to less weight? Does the Quattro really do that much for street driving on this model?

I've seen some rumors that the new 2017 Q3 will have some changes. Since this Q3 model has been around for some time in foreign markets and is using an older engine and transmission I would think the model refresh is due soon. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks,

-Andy
These guys are like Audi Gods, are they not?! :D

Okay, my perspective is a girl's point of view - much less technical and way more practical. Ahem.

I've never had a 4WD or Quattro before - I LOVE it! Handling corners and driving in rain are infinitely better in this car. I may never go back to FWD.

As far as the tech package - DON'T SKIP IT!! The Bose sound system is heavenly, the MMI Navigation package has lots of fun features - AND INCLUDES IN-CAR WIFI!!!! I absolutely love that feature, and will never buy a car without it. It's amazing. And all the parking aids, camera and side assist - priceless. With so many stuipid drivers around you all the time, there's no way you should opt out.

I didn't get the sport package on my 2016, and glad I didn't. My dealer recommended against it, as the seats are a little weird, with side bolsters. And those paddle shifters - I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to "pretend" they're driving a manual transmission. Either go manual, or go auto - but paddle shifters? Nah.

I just came out of a 2014 Mazda 3 when I bought my 2016 Q3, and believe it or not - my Q is sportier, faster, and more fun to drive than the Mazda. Not to mention the luxury all around me on the interior of the Q. It's beautiful, fast, and fun to drive. And when a good song comes on....those speakers really deliver!

Highly recommend! :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I guess I am repeating a post, but...
..snip.. And those paddle shifters - I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to "pretend" they're driving a manual transmission. Either go manual, or go auto - but paddle shifters? Nah...snip..
When you go to S-port mode on the shifter you lose the ability to use the manual +/- shift positions so the paddles let you grab a gear 'right now' when in Sport mode. A nice feature for the curvy stuff. That's the "why" mostly, just for fun and being in complete control. But definitely just a 'nice to have'. Shift back to Auto mode and use the +/-, but you lose the throttle curve change.

PS: Also lets you shift without taking a hand off the wheel obviously, so a safety plus.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the sport package and will say that I am finding the paddle shifters useful for winter driving conditions. Also have no issues with the bolsters on the seats. Wife also gave a thumbs up to the comfort of the seats on a recent 1200 mile road trip. I didn't spend much time in the regular seats in our demo car, so I don't really have a good comparison...but I was used to the bolstering from my Mini and have never had any issue with it. I think this is simply a matter of personal preference and perhaps body type/height makes a difference in fit, as with anything one sits in. some will like, others won't. I'm still playing around with using S-port mode on the gear shift and the paddles, along with the drive select. All of these just add more fun to a car that is already very nice to drive. I wasn't sure I'd like the paddle shifters but after some use they are growing on me.

The Bose system does lack some for bass definition, but the system does a nice job overall with sound quality and in particular mid and higher ranges. I'm particularly enjoying streaming music through my iPhone using Pandora or Spotify.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Does this help. And I like to let the salesman know the survey will be filled out with 10 across the board after everything is resolved. There was no reason/excuse for the plate holder getting damaged. Gee...some people cannot literally tighten a screw.
Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like your's is a little beyond at the bottom as well. I guess they did put the right one on then. They still didn't have the right screws so I said I'd pick some up at the hardware store. Now it's not like all of these Audi cars have different plate screws. From what I could tell they were all 6mm metric. There's just no excuse for them not having plate screws or for the salesman carving plastic with his power drill!

Thanks a bunch for the photo! On to the battery cover now.

-Andy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
As far as the tech package - DON'T SKIP IT!! The Bose sound system is heavenly, the MMI Navigation package has lots of fun features - AND INCLUDES IN-CAR WIFI!!!! I absolutely love that feature, and will never buy a car without it. It's amazing. And all the parking aids, camera and side assist - priceless. With so many stuipid drivers around you all the time, there's no way you should opt out.
I actually did get the Tech package. The sounds system is the same either way (unless you go Prestige) so it was just adding Navigation, Audi Connect, and Side Assist. I actually use the Side Assist more than I'd thought. Mostly just to see how it works but it actually does a good job.

When you go to S-port mode on the shifter you lose the ability to use the manual +/- shift positions so the paddles let you grab a gear 'right now' when in Sport mode. A nice feature for the curvy stuff. That's the "why" mostly, just for fun and being in complete control. But definitely just a 'nice to have'. Shift back to Auto mode and use the +/-, but you lose the throttle curve change.
I didn't get the sport package mostly because the Drive Select did not affect the suspension as it does on other Audi's but I never considered that the paddles still give you manual control in "S" mode. I also didn't know that "S" changed the throttle curve - I thought that was just in "Drive Select."

I really like the way the car drives in Sport. It seems to be smoother but I'm still in break in so I have not had a chance to really get on it. What is the typical break in miles anyway and what are the basic rules? I've just been going easy, mostly. 0:)

-Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've never had a 4WD or Quattro before - I LOVE it! Handling corners and driving in rain are infinitely better in this car. I may never go back to FWD.
I swear by Quattro and awd rides. I live in Florida...the (Escape & Encore)salesman kept asking why do I want AWD. I asked why are you asking me. So I ended up with the Q3 I originally wanted to begin with.
There is nothing like it on a wet surface.... I enjoy getting onto a rainy/wet highway with out wheel spin. In the snow...forgetaboutit.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts