Audi Q3 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
As a follow up, last night I tried about 50 times from a stop and from a braking roll, to do this in my Q3 (with my Sprint Booster still set to Red - maximum) and could NOT induce it - EVEN with trying the two foot technique. And while I'm an old guy, I did used to race Minis, with left foot braking (the Paddy Hopkirk method), so shouldn't be a slouch on reactions and foot movements (except well of course to the OP ;) ). I will try again with the Sprint Booster off and see if that changes things - as it's directly connected to the throttle it may.

As another aside, one of my Service Writers who came from a Toyota dealership, recalled having to try and train at least 3-4 customers to undo their two foot driving technique to alleviate this - all which came up when we had the conversation about it with the Audi TFM.

Reactions: ffontana

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very Ironic!!

This is SO ironic because I just brought my Q3 into the dealer for the exact same problem. On Massachusetts highways because people drive like maniacs you need to accelerate sometimes at a moment's notice.

I'm trying to merge on 128 (one of the worst and busiest roads in Eastern Mass) with other cars in front of me and the guy behind me decides to brake so I have to brake quickly. Then with all the cars behind me I have to quickly accelerate otherwise I'll be on today's 6 o'clock news.

I experienced this exact phenomenon. Every time I brake quickly and then have to accelerate I put my foot on the pedal and the car inches forward. Very scary...

Took it into the dealer and of course he said there was nothing. He asked me if I was driving with "two feet". One foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. Really? Do I look like an idiot??? I haven't done that since my first week driving when I was 16. I too use only 93 octane gas for only 3 gas stations: Shell, Mobil and Sunoco

I'm so frustrated with my car. Coming from a BMW X3 I wanted to love this car so much but there's so many things though they may be little that bother me more than I'd like. (windshield wipers work when they don't need to and don't work when you need to, this acceleration problem, my intermittent MMI problem, having to replace the battery in the key fob(BMW keys recharge themselves every time you drive) Yes they are little things but they all add up to frustration.

I'm not really in a place to trade it in right now since it took me months to find a car that was comfortable and that was somewhat similar to my X3 but had better gas mileage. I loved my car but I did not enjoy the choppy ride and the money I had to spend on gas.

Audi really dropped the ball on this one with the Q3. Too bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had no problem proving this "feature" works on my 2015 using two feet. It is most pronounced from a stop just after it shifts up to second gear. The engine acts as if the ignition was cut, a "long" dead spot. This cannot be confused with turbo lag since the engine simply goes quiet with no injector clicking noise. This replicates stop and go traffic I guess. I could induce what felt to me like a modest version of the same action if I tried it starting at a constant higher speed. A much less obvious lull, not fully dead perhaps but throttle response was certainly delayed a small bit.

I could not induce any obvious lull using only one foot but I'm older and my fast twitch muscles were beaten into submission years ago.

If I had to guess at what the design objective was I would say it is meant to detect real stop and go conditions. A full stop followed by crisp acceleration for a very brief period followed by very quick braking, stir and repeat. But when starting with a longer rolling period and modest acceleration at speed followed by a very quick transition to two foot braking there is a much more subtle, shorter hesitation in throttle uptake.

Again as a guess I would say it is trying to keep you from accelerating hard into that car that just slowed in front of you a second or two ago.

My thanks to the OP as I would have spent a bunch of wasted time at the dealer and would have left a bit sheepishly.

I am not upset at all by this action as calibrated on my car. I see it as a valuable feature should some two footer be driving it. I cannot recall ever being aware it was happening and I'm a pretty aggressive type A driver.

Proof again that what is a useful feature to one person is a royal pain to to another. What's intuitive to a software designer can be absolute confusion to a user.

All of that said, if that "extra switch" or the software algorithm makes your car clearly cut out under normal one footed operation in non-stop-and-go conditions at higher speeds I can certainly see why you would think Audi is nuts. But I would also assume they could fix it readily if they understand the design. The factory support should come through on this one. I hope.

I would hope anyone who feels the feature is not working will tell us the complete data... Was it from a stop very soon after acceleration?...was it after constant speed at the limit??... Were two feet used?...was the single foot moved at superhuman speed from brake to gas??...were you in manual mode or full auto??...had you used the paddle shifter just prior??..shifted up? Or down?...is it happening only when you try to induce it or is it happening when you are not even thinking about it?

Thanks again for letting me appear to not be foolish yet again one more time!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Slightly off topic...remote fob batteries. Yes, BMW has fobs that recharge, a very nice feature. Some BMW fobs have a second non rechargeable battery for "comfort access" versions.

Changing the battery is pretty quick and cheap if you do it yourself. It is not covered by any warranty and mine died after 1.5 years. My dealer wanted over $12 Canadian for the part. Maybe they install free, I don't know since no way am I paying that much. Dollarama here sells the CR2032 three for a buck. Keep a pack on hand.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I had no problem proving this "feature" works on my 2015 using two feet. It is most pronounced from a stop just after it shifts up to second gear. ...
Ahhh - I cannot induce mine to do this from a stop - but perhaps will try to duplicate your "just after it shifts up to second gear" - I have been trying (at least 50 times now) to duplicate it since I've learned there IS a program to it - but couldn't. Maybe I need the OP to teach me "NYC Foot" - but regardless, your observations about "useful feature to one person is a royal pain to another" is rationalized...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Be sure to back off the gas after your left foot applies brakes. Then remove left foot then press gas.... It should feel dead for a second or two.

So graphically from a stop...

Left--------------bbbb--------
Right-----ggg2ggg---ggggggggg
Dead----------------- ddddd
Normal nnnnnnnnnnn------nnnnn

I think. Assuming the font and spacing looks the same after posting. I guess I could take a passenger to video it. But that is how I recall recreating the dead spot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You guys are talking about using both feet with the brake and gas. I never use my left foot. It always rests on the dead pedal.

I have learned living in Massachusetts dealing with Massachusetts traffic that you have to be ready at a moment's notice to accelerate or you could be part of an accident.

One example. I was driving yesterday on another busy road and as usual the traffic goes from about 40 mph to a dead stop. Well here comes a bmw behind me barreling towards me and I could swear she's not going to stop. In those cases I need quick acceleration to prevent myself from getting rear ended.

I guess Audi wasn't creating this car with the stop and go traffic in mind. Traffic is just a way of life here. You drive with the traffic or you don't live to tell about it. I'm not saying I'm going 80 on the road like some dumb dumbs but you have to drive and be a good defensive driver.

I'm just concerned I'm going to get myself killed one of these days trying to merge onto traffic with no power and the car behind me comes barreling toward me trying to accelerate too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Every time I brake quickly and then have to accelerate I put my foot on the pedal and the car inches forward. Very scary...
Is it really EVERY TIME??

If we can't replicate it except by using two feet then your car must need repair. Maybe that second switch someone mentioned is stuck on so it always triggers a delay in throttle.

Have you tried to vary the time between brakes off and throttle on? Just a little? Does it just stall even if there is a slight pause between??

If it is truly every time you should be able to easily demonstrate it to the dealer. I hope you don't give up with the service guys. This is not the designed reaction for sure.

Reactions: rnlabas

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I guess Audi wasn't creating this car with the stop and go traffic in mind. Traffic is just a way of life here. You drive with the traffic or you don't live to tell about it. I'm not saying I'm going 80 on the road like some dumb dumbs but you have to drive and be a good defensive driver.

I'm just concerned I'm going to get myself killed one of these days trying to merge onto traffic with no power and the car behind me comes barreling toward me trying to accelerate too.
This is NOT an Audi defined or designed "feature", but rather one INSISTED UPON by the US DOT/NHTSA - ALL cars manufactured for sale in the USA since about Sept 15 MUST have a "feature" such as this implemented in their cars. This is a result of the Toyota Unintended Acceleration and Throttle issue ...

As Bob mentions, IF your car is doing this EVERY time, perhaps there IS a defect in your car and indeed it should be checked and repaired. As for the OP and "NYC Foot", I believe he has/is exhausting recourse through Audi for his case, and you should too -

·
Registered
300 Posts
All Volkswagen and Audi vehicles have had brake-throttle override system since 2002. It applies to manual and automatic transmissions.

Called “smart pedal technology,” the Volkswagen system monitors the application of the vehicle’s throttle (gas pedal) and brakes. If the driver applies the brake pedal while driving with an actuated accelerator pedal, the engine control system returns the engine to idle, disregards gas pedal input, or, in situations where a vehicle’s brakes have not been properly maintained, reduces engine torque, allowing the vehicle to be stopped with its brakes.
BTO is the technology to Google, brake throttle override. A history is at: http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1076262_brake-throttle-override-becomes-the-new-standard

It is possible for the right foot to actuate both brake and throttle with a size 9.5 shoe at least mine can. If the foot is always being cleanly removed from the brake before applying throttle then a repair is required.

Trying to react quickly to traffic both in front and behind may have led to invoking BTO without realizing it. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
There is a more recent update (based on the Toyota debacle) that the OP has found and I have some corroboration from my Area TFM on this - waiting for a TSB or SSP description. There is a separate brake switch that actuates this throttle override and there is a delay (not sure it's 0.3 sec or not yet) between its actuation and throttle cut-off. The throttle cut-off has a time component and I don't know either what it is or is it adjustable...

btw, I DID manage to induce this using Boblepp's description above. I did find it VERY disconcerting, although given the machinations between throttle, shift, road speed and braking I had to exercise to find this was a bit more comforting. I found that I COULD indeed induce with just one foot driving but CANNOT be sure that this method actually or cleaning segregated my foot movements between the brake and throttle - I must add here that as a former competitive driver and current driver of a car that this is a method typically used (know as heel and toe or rocking toe) to drive - and I did not try to video my feet - but THAT could be a legal basis or grounds for seeking repairs. Anyway, using Bob's description with TWO feet, this was VERY EASY to induce - BUT, I must also add that with Sprint Booster installed and operative - the effect was more like a misfire than complete throttle cut-off and lasted for almost 2 seconds which as I noted is quite disconcerting, and I hope to never use that "feature" when I least expect (or want) it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi all,

I traded my Q3 for a Forester last Saturday. As I drove to the dealer, I experienced the loss of power a few more times. There are many things that I will miss about my Audi, but not being able to accelerate to avoid an accident is not one of them. I tried many times to duplicate the issue on my new 2017 Subaru Forester, and I am happy to report that I was unsuccessful. I am actually a bit worried about the future owner of my Q3 getting into an accident due to this. I will continue to follow this thread to see where it leads.
Stay safe!

NYC Foot.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
@ffontana - First, congrats on your new ride - I'm glad you haven't found the same 'feature' to be an issue and quite frankly hope you never do. Second, I'm really sorry that you couldn't find satisfaction from Audi on supporting you with this and "fixing' your car, even if you'd've had to sign some sort of waiver of responsibility or something else legalese to make you a delighted Audi customer. For myself and the rest of us concerned about this, I will continue to follow-up with my contacts for any news, support, fixes, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The BMW twin scroll turbo design has pretty much eliminated the turbo lag but I'm unfamiliar with the Audi turbo design. I do know that with the SprintBooster installed I have not experienced any significant type of throttle lag.
Where do you get a Sprint Booster?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts