Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems it's hard to come by any lowering springs or coilover kits in the US for Q3s.

When I do a search, most, if not all are vendors in the UK. I was looking for Eibach Pro Kit springs but in the UK it shows two options:

1) Q3 TDI FWD
2) Q3 TFSI Quattro

If I wanted Eibach springs, which should I order for our Q3 2.0 TFSI FWD?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It seems it's hard to come by any lowering springs or coilover kits in the US for Q3s.

When I do a search, most, if not all are vendors in the UK. I was looking for Eibach Pro Kit springs but in the UK it shows two options:

1) Q3 TDI FWD
2) Q3 TFSI Quattro

Try H&R, they make higher quality springs IMO. Either way, since you're FWD, I would think it would be safe to go with the FWD spring setup, though I doubt there's any difference...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try H&R, they make higher quality springs IMO. Either way, since you're FWD, I would think it would be safe to go with the FWD spring setup, though I doubt there's any difference...
Thanks rs4guy!

I was actually chatting with a guy from the UK vendor and he saying the similar thing. He said it's just the matter of axle weight difference between FWD and Quattro, so I should go with UK TDI FWD version since the axle weights should be very similar to US TFSI FWD.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

1) Q3 TDI FWD
2) Q3 TFSI Quattro

I'd go with the solution based on drive platform - if you have a Front Track Q3, go with number 1, if you have Quattro, go with number 2.

There's less (or no) impact from having a diesel vs. gas engine on this -

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go with the solution based on drive platform - if you have a Front Track Q3, go with number 1, if you have Quattro, go with number 2.

There's less (or no) impact from having a diesel vs. gas engine on this -
Thanks Roger!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
...also, while on the subject - and as a seasoned veteran of springs and shocks, IF you just do lowering springs - be it for looks, fine. But - expect NOT an enhanced ride at all, and prolly NOT enhanced handling as a result. Au contraire -

If you want a decent ride (I say decent cuz almost ANY reduction in height will AMPLIFY NOT reduce road NVH) AND enhanced handling, you'll have to really invest in new shocks that take the reduced height (and different load characteristics as a result) into account. This is just the laws of physics, and no pretty paint (blue or yellow or purple) can fix them...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...also, while on the subject - and as a seasoned veteran of springs and shocks, IF you just do lowering springs - be it for looks, fine. But - expect NOT an enhanced ride at all, and prolly NOT enhanced handling as a result. Au contraire -

If you want a decent ride (I say decent cuz almost ANY reduction in height will AMPLIFY NOT reduce road NVH) AND enhanced handling, you'll have to really invest in new shocks that take the reduced height (and different load characteristics as a result) into account. This is just the laws of physics, and no pretty paint (blue or yellow or purple) can fix them...
You got me covered even before I asked :D

I'm leaning towards KW coilover now that you also agree on new shocks. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out how much the coilovers are and how much more the installation is going to cost...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
You got me covered even before I asked :D

I'm leaning towards KW coilover now that you also agree on new shocks. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out how much the coilovers are and how much more the installation is going to cost...
But - it WILL look good, and it WILL handle better, but be prepared for a different ride - even with new shocks, lower is stiffer (nasty laws of physics again) and she may NOT like it. My wife refuses to ride in my low-low, slot car S5, but hey, as MPBQ3 has duly noted, I have plenty of self-included padding.:laugh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
It actually depends on the dampers and the spring rates and styles (progressive vs linear). I have my stock DRC shocks coupled with H&R sport springs on my RS4, the ride is stiffer, but has much improved handling and chassis dynamics.

For the Q3 I would just do some Koni or bilstien shocks and springs, C/O's are overkill for a daily driven SUV...

·
Registered
916 Posts
It actually depends on the dampers and the spring rates and styles (progressive vs linear). I have my stock DRC shocks coupled with H&R sport springs on my RS4, the ride is stiffer, but has much improved handling and chassis dynamics.

For the Q3 I would just do some Koni or bilstien shocks and springs, C/O's are overkill for a daily driven SUV...
Agree.

All i'd really want from an improved Q3 suspension is to have it a bit stiffer and slightly lower.

Rather have coilovers in a sedan or coupe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Or ParteX the Q3 for an A3.........;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Could you recommend me a set of koni or bilstein shocks for Q3? I was looking at the vendor's list of coilovers and they had a brand called AP coilover. What do you think about these?

I was also thinking about ST coilovers.

KW seems too expansive :crying:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would just check out their sites and see if they have any applications for our vehicle, I'm sure they do in some capacity, as Europe has had this platform for some time now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that my wheels are ordered and on its way to the dealers, I can't decide which coilover kit I should go with.

1) ST
2) AP

I read that both ST and AP are products of KW company in Germany. I did some google searches on other vehicle forums and they claim that AP is the most basic coilover kit with basic material inside the shocks. ST seems it's something in between AP and KW.

Now, the price difference is almost $400 between AP and ST...

I don't mind the fact that ST can go lower than AP because I'm not going to lower the car more than 35mm (why am I doing coilovers then, you may ask... I want the option of raising the car up to stock level)

As for stiffness, forums suggest AP is much stiffer than KW, no info on ST vs AP stiffness.

What would you guys do?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Sorry, but if I invested in this kind of setup, I'd go straight to the KW ... My impression is the cheapest is just that - the cheapest to get there - a lowered car/look. That means lower-than-OEM quality (ride/handling) and certainly life expectancy. If you want to get something similar to what Audi has delivered in terms of quality, AND you want the look-ride-handling, you gotta pay for it...It's NOT just extra margin for KW. Believe me, I've been thru at least 30 sets over the years, and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, but if I invested in this kind of setup, I'd go straight to the KW ... My impression is the cheapest is just that - the cheapest to get there - a lowered car/look. That means lower-than-OEM quality (ride/handling) and certainly life expectancy. If you want to get something similar to what Audi has delivered in terms of quality, AND you want the look-ride-handling, you gotta pay for it...It's NOT just extra margin for KW. Believe me, I've been thru at least 30 sets over the years, and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of cheap.
I agree with this. Though I've heard good things about ST coilovers for other VAG vehicles, so you might not regret the purchase if you went that route. I know from experience that you want to save up and get suspension right the first time. I started with just H&R springs paired with stock shocks on my old GTI. Sure, it only cost me $100 installed because they were used and from a friend, but it made the car ride like crap. I then saved up for a year and went full Airlift Performance air-ride lol. Moral of the story is that there's really no rush to modifying your car. Decide what's more worth it to you: Going the cheap route to look good now, and potentially disliking the way your new car rides? Or waiting and saving up for a quality/proven product, and loving both the way your car looks AND drives. I'm really antsy with wanting to modify my cars, but I've learned the hard way that it's better to wait and save for quality products.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know if Tein makes or is going to make suspension for the Audi Q3?? I do like this brand a lot and wondering if they do make suspension for this type of car.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts