Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions regarding the MMI screen usage.

I know that there are a whole lot of functions that are controlled by using information that appears on the screen. So:
1) If I were one of those people that took it upon themselves to modify the the MMI screen to make it retract/hide. Would I have to deploy the screen to change a radio station or advance a track on a CD or MP3 CD?
2) I’m pretty sure that I can change climate control settings without the screen. Am I wrong?
3) Where are such things as ambient temperature, trip odometers, current MPG, average MPG, miles to empty and digital MPH displayed? I’m hoping in the instrument cluster.
4) I will not be getting Navigation, so that need is eliminated.

I am hoping that a lot of the minute to minute environmental changes that you make while driving do not require it’s deployment. Because if these changes require its deployment, then it seems almost pointless to hide it. It doesn’t seem like something that a thief would attempt to steal, but then again a thief may think it is a stand-alone GPS unit which may be or not be worth stealing.
I was told by an Audi representative at the Philly Auto Show that a motorized screen will be part of the “facelift”. Of course based on responses to the above questions it may not really matter whether he is correct or not.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
You can make almost every adjustment you'd want to while driving from the cluster display. Changing audio settings, stations and the like are easy from the wheel. HVAC is NOT on the MMI display in the Q3, so that's moot. Since I put the fold-down kit in my car, I have only raised it for the rear camera once or twice and Nav once. I'm not looking back from this change. Btw, I don't believe the face-lift version will be motorized, but it is in other models...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can make almost every adjustment you'd want to while driving from the cluster display. Changing audio settings, stations and the like are easy from the wheel. HVAC is NOT on the MMI display in the Q3, so that's moot. Since I put the fold-down kit in my car, I have only raised it for the rear camera once or twice and Nav once. I'm not looking back from this change. Btw, I don't believe the face-lift version will be motorized, but it is in other models...
Thanks Roger, that’s great to know.

That information makes the Pop Up modification exceptionally worthwhile.
I haven’t ordered a Q3 yet and may not need to until the 16s become available.

But if I need to do the Pop Up modification the only 2 parts that I need are:
P/N : 8U0 857 273 B for the bin to replace NAR Q3s
P/N : 8U0 857 336 A for the back cover of the bin above
And find a location to buy them since oemvwshop is still down for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Looks correct to me - you'll need to add the color choice suffix (e.g. 6PS for black), and you might ask one of our members across the pond for help, but beware - shipping from outside a business is expensive.

You might also write to OEMVWSHOP and get a response too - there's also a few others looking for this mod, so if you can join up together, that would save on the international shipping side. One of the others sorta volunteered to lead a group buy, but I haven't seen any more excitement about it. Both of these pieces will fit in a medium flat rate USPS box, so within the US, redistribution shipping is only about $15 ...

Reactions: Ohio Joe

·
Registered
165 Posts
Roger
Any reset of any kind needed when you do the MMI screen fix disconnecting the screen and reconnecting it or does it reset itself?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Roger
Any reset of any kind needed when you do the MMI screen fix disconnecting the screen and reconnecting it or does it reset itself?
Even though I'm not Roger there was no screen reset with my MMI that was modded to fold down.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nor am I Roger, but I can confirm that it just works as it's supposed to automatically, including fading up from/down to black as the right angle is reached.

Even though I'm not Roger there was no screen reset with my MMI that was modded to fold down.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks guys... I thought I saw when Roger was talking about the coding he mentioned something that had to be done when he disconnected the screen and reconnected it. Maybe that was something else he was talking about. I'm SO EXCITED to have a fold down screen!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Anne - the screen will function fine after the mod - no problem. BUT, the mere fact that you've unplugged it will throw a code fault (DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code) that will show up whenever your car is later scanned by anyone. It will look like an intermittent electrical fault - no biggie cuz you know why, but will likely be there nonetheless. It's an easy fix for anyone scanning the car, just clear the faults. But you should be aware that it may be there. This is not uncommon with many things that you unplug and replug on these cars - even with the power "off", there's often some waking current flowing around the CANBUS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts