I just got a 2016 Q3 with the HomeLink system installed. I had a hard time pairing the HomeLink with my Chamberlain HD900D garage door opener (Purple learn button) and tried it numerous times for days and finally figured it out on Friday night so hopefully this will help someone else out there with the same issues. I called Chamberlain and HomeLink and spent hours on the phone with no luck. I even brought a brand new Chamberlain remote and batteries with no luck (Model 953EV) and couldn't even pair it with my opener. I called Chamberlain again and they suggested getting the Chamberlain "Universal" version (Model KLIK3U - this remote comes in several different colors but they are all the same KLIK3U-BL, KLIK3U-PK, etc.) and that worked the first time I tried it!
FYI - The instructions on the HomeLink website are not correct for the 2016 Q3!
Here are the exact steps I took:
Park your car outside of the garage but not too far away.
Follow the instructions to link the Chamberlain Universal Remote to your garage door opener.
- Slide down the front panel of the Chamberlain Universal Remote.
- Find the programming button and press it until the light turns on.
- Click the button you want to program twice and click on the other button that you're not programming to get out of the programming mode.
- Press the Purple learn button on your garage door opener and you should see a solid orange light come on right above it.
- Click the button you programmed on the Chamberlain Universal remote and you should see the light bulbs on the garage door opener blink twice with two clicks.
- Press the button on the Universal remote again and the garage door should close.
Programming the HomeLink button in the Q3:
- Press and hold the I and III button until the red light goes to a rapid flash and then immediately let go.
- Press the button you want to program (I, II, or III) and you should see a slow steady flash of the red light.
- Get your Universal remote and press the button you program about 3 inches away from the HomeLink buttons until you see a rapid flash from the red light (this will take about 15-30 seconds to accomplish)
- Now go to your garage door opener and press the Purple learn button once and you should see the orange light blink again.
- You'll have 30 seconds to go back to your car and press and hold the button you programmed for two seconds (you should see the light bulbs on the garage opener flash twice just like when you programmed the Universal Remote). You will then press and hold the same button for two seconds again a for a total of three times.
- The garage door should close after completing the above step the second or third time.
I hope this helps out at least one person out there because it was really frustrating not having the right directions and spending $300+ on an option that didn't work.