Audi Q3 Forum banner

new Steering Wheel

15K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  kostas-k 
#1 ·
I bought a new SLine steering wheel for my Audi Q3. The airbag i used from my actual steering wheel. installation was very easy just remove the airbag and you have only one screw to remove it. The problem was that the steering commands and gear padels didn`t work. Maybe they should be coded but i didn`t find anything in vcds, so i remove the steering commands and gear padels from the old steering (it was a little tricky) and put them in the new steering wheel and everything worked perfect !
Here is the Result :

See less See more
#5 ·
You can recode the new steering wheel, as the only difference is the serial number on your buttons and the label file associated with it. In fact, in this case I think you only really need to do is clear the DTC that resulted from disconnecting the it (with/while the new set is connected of course). Now that you have the original ones back in, the module thinks it was only disconnected and then reconnected (still prolly has the DTC) but with the new set, the original set was "missing."

#6 ·
I put almost the exact wheel (mine is full 'air' - perforated all around) in my Q3 almost 2 years ago and never switched button or paddles ...

#8 ·
Then I think you have a different button set or connector pin-out ...

#10 ·
Well, first - I think EVERY current steering wheel will fit - the splines are the same from an A3 to an R8 - that said though, the button options are MANY, and THAT's where the tricky bits are. Second, not all button sets fit every wheel, cuz while the splines are the same, the wheels themselves are a bit varied and the trim is too.

Whew, now that I've covered the basics, here's the easy part. First - check the airbag and be SURE your'e looking at a wheel that has the same size and shape - be careful, round is NOT round is NOT round. There are side profile differences and diameters to be certain of. Second, check the button sets (and paddles or not) - be SURE that they are the same too-

If all of the above is the same or as close as you can tell, then you are 100% certain it will fit, and 99% certain that it will work as well. Lastly, as some above have noted, you will prolly need to have your new buttons (and paddles if you have/want them) coded - because the car (at J519) will see these as different - by serial number not just part number). If you transfer your old buttons (and paddles) then you may just have to clear a disconnect fault, and not recode.

#12 ·
Tell me what you want your wheel to look like as far as leather styles go - entirely normal leather, entirely perforated (air) leather, or partial Air, sides perforated, top and bottom normal, shift paddles or not (and what style - black, matt chrome or sport (large) - and I'll give you the P/Ns - depending on where you are, I can prolly help you get it too... our parts department is only too happy to help.

Reactions: harrsha
#20 ·
Search youtube for 2012 Audi A7 Rebuild - Vid #4 - Steering Wheel & Airbag Removal 1 of 5. In Q3 is the same.

#19 ·
Ohh. You did what I have done also. See my album.

When choosing flatbottom wheel you need to choose the one which will have the same PR codes that your car specification (e.g. 2PF+6F0) Codes you will find in your service book, your details car specification (your dealer might give ti based on your VIN) or in the sticker usually in the trunk near spare wheel.

To check it one which PN you need you need to compare it with PR code in Etka
//aud 7zap com/en/rdw/audi+q3/aq3/2016-855/4/419-419040/
(BTW this link is great source for all PN of you Q3 and more) but since I can not post links you need to add dot between zap and com and audi and 7zap

PR codes description you need to google Download VAG option codes in .pdf file - VAG Codes

You might also use steering wheels from A3, A4, A5 but once you will be expert in decoding PR codes and searching in Etka for parts from different models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.