Audi Q3 Forum banner

Next-generation Audi Q3 will arrive in 2018

9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  rnlabas 
#1 ·

Most of the talk of the town has been about the facelifted Q3, but let's take a pause to think even further into the future. We have new information on the next-generation Audi Q3 now.

According to Autobild, the next-generation Audi Q3 will be launched in 2018 and will be larger than the current generation of Q3 to help differentiate itself from the Q1.

It is expected that the next-gen Q3 will share engine options with the VW Tiguan. There are also rumors of an eco-friendly Q3 RS with 400 PS and a Q3 RS TDI with 258 PS or 272 PS. There should also be a plug-in hybrid variant, though there is nothing official right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can have an RSQ3 now, albeit it may be moot on how "Eco-friendly" it is. I've been pushing every Audi exec I've met (and it's more than 1 or 2) and their tech/customer folks too about an RS TDI in ANY line, so if one's really in the works, I'll be plenty happy. :D

Although this may arrive just as Audi jumps back to gas for their prototype (LMP1) competition :( - it'd be the only practical move to stay current with both Toyota and Porsche as Audi being the only diesel gets unfair BOP (Balance of Performance) and EE (Energy Equivalences) adjustments EVERY WEEK to reduce their competitive edge against the gas engines... while they're ALREADY using only 2MJ recoveries against the others with 6 and 8 respectively !

Btw, that sketch above is pretty much the concept sketch for the mid-cycle facelift we've just seen spy photos of. Look closely and you'll see it's really more in line with that than a new generation car, and it's an older one - the bumped out vertical grill, although we will be seeing more vertical elements coming, the 'c' shaped LEDs, and the grill notch about the same as current cars instead of the bit more aggressive one coming with the facelift and forward ...

#4 ·
I am guessing that sketch isn't of the 2018 model. I wouldn't think a accurate sketch of the 2018 Q3 exists on the web yet. That is like 4 years away which is a pretty long time. We at least have to wait till 2016 to start getting some sketches and renders IMHO.

#6 ·
That's exactly what I was trying to say in my post above ...

#9 ·
I am.

Ever since seeing the potential with hybrids... power and range, i've been more interested in them than ever before. In the end we could end up getting an enjoyable SUV that gets great range.

BUT that's the general idea of these, we'll have to wait to see what it's really like.

#8 ·
Inasmuch as I'm sure that's a serious component for some, I can't say its high on my list. I'm more of a car enthusiast from the sport side and value performance. So as long as the hybrid exists more to satisfy economy while sacrificing sport - and I get and respect those whose values are diametric, but for me until they (economy and sport) are mutually improved or at least sport not sacrificed, I'm not that keen.

Btw, BMW has in its new i8, and Audi with the R8 eTron, perhaps the exciting combination or at least promise of one, in their hybrids for me ...

#11 ·
Even though the Q3 has been in Europe for a few years, it's just getting to the USA and I'm not going to have my Q3 after ordering it in Aug until the end of Dec.

Should Audi come out with an upgrade for mid-2015 or 2016, I'm really going to be pissed off and will contact Scott Keogh and swear that this will be my first and last Audi.

You don't introduce a car into the USA and then redesign it within 1-2 years.

IMO that shows you don't give a rats butt.

#12 ·
Yea it is a bit of a couchey move. Would the alternative be better though? What if instead they withheld the Q3 from the US and waited another few years to introduce it? I think we both know that wouldn't be a decision that makes much sense either.

#15 ·
Truth is, mid-cycle facelifts etc. are planned from the get go. The Q3 wasn't even envisioned for the US from the start, as at that time no one imagined a market segment here for it. The facelift was already in plan before the decision to bring the Q3 here was final. Now the concern is will the Q1 overscope or cross sales with it, and will be subject to the new Q3 (not the facelift) separating itself enough to keep segment sales separate - and we won't even get the Q1, but our Q3s will still have depended upon it. This is the same for all models btw, Audi is a global player, and even though we are their largest single market, our models depend upon the rest of the world too.

Think of this : more than 50% of Audi's worldwide production is diesels, yet the U.S. market is just under 8% - what do you think drives their overal technical strategy and plan?

#16 ·
So basically every person who buys a Q3 in the next couple years will be pissed that the facelifted Q3 comes out. Maybe you guys should think about leasing instead so you can roll over to the facelifted one once your lease expires.

#17 ·
The facelift changes will really be pretty minor - less than the A4/A5 went through 2 years ago, so I for one am not too worried. Compared to waiting another year for the car - nahhh, not for me...

And I don't think most folks will even notice - us, sure - other Audi fans, Audifiles, sure too, but folks on the street, not too sure —

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.