Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused. I'm about to change the oil and filter on my 2015 Q3 and was wondering what others are using?

The owners manual says to use Audi quality standard VW 502-00 or VW 504-00 oil to top off. It also says that SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 5W-40 can be used between oil changes but never to add more than 0.5 quart/liter of high quality "synthetic" oil.

I'm planning on Mobil 1 but what viscosity should I use? I live in MA so the temps are already getting cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I'm about to change the oil and filter on my 2015 Q3 and was wondering what others are using?

The owners manual says to use Audi quality standard VW 502-00 or VW 504-00 oil to top off. It also says that SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 5W-40 can be used between oil changes but never to add more than 0.5 quart/liter of high quality "synthetic" oil.

I'm planning on Mobil 1 but what viscosity should I use? I live in MA so the temps are already getting cold.
VW 502 00 = Mobil 1 0W 40
VW 504 00 = Mobil 1 5W 30

This is a good TSB that lists manufacturers and their VW\Audi quality standard equivalent.

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-1997-2012-Technical-Service-Bulletin.pdf

·
Registered
264 Posts

I use 0W-40 synth in both my turbocharged VAG cars & I live in what you'd considered the south.
It gives me the comfort of knowing easier less wearing Winter cold starts.

If I was living in the NE, I would do the same.

In the more mild winter south or hotter west - 5W-30 or 5W-40 would be the way to go.

But it's almost splitting hair on the weight decisions. There is no wrong answer with using either of these - unless you are exposed to consistently extremes conditions and/or racing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably just go with the 0W-40 synthetic.

What brands do you prefer for oil filters or are you getting them from Audi?

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have not yet had to change the oil in the Q3, but I have always used MAHLE for my other Audi and expect that I will on this one as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Surprisingly or unsurprisingly the OEM filter is usually pretty price competitive with any other brands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the Audi filter is available at Amazon for a competitive price.

Reactions: Q3User

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks like the Audi filter is available at Amazon for a competitive price.
Hey SPEEDRAC3R - do you have the AMAZON listing or part number for the OEM Filter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts