Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has happened already. A week into getting our Q3, we have spotted a dent. This has reaffirmed the need to park as far as way from everyone else as possible. Regardless, I was looking up repair services and there are a few Paintless Dent Removal locations where I live (northern NJ) that have positive reviews. Has anyone ever had this service done to fix their dents or are there alternatives that I could perhaps do on my own?

The dent is on the driver real wheel side, right on the wheel well-bumper crease. Image is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bummer! I feel your pain. I too make a point of parking as far away from other cars as possible but many times that's just not possible: like crowded hotel parking lots or the dreaded trip to Costco. I found one, thankfully not too noticeable place where someone got me with their door after a recent trip that involved several nights in a hotel lot. Seems like there's a similarity between parking lots and airplanes going on. With parking lots the spaces get narrower while the cars get bigger... I don't have any experience with paintless dent removal but will be interested to see if others do...just in case.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have seen paintless dent removal tutorials on YouTube, there's a number of methods but IMO, I rather go to the pros. Used to work in a BMW dealer where they had a guy come in to perform the service and it looked like a really technical task that requires a lot of patience and a good eye.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to schedule an appointment with a body shop that specializes in Paintless Dent Removal on Saturday. I will post before/after photos in case anyone has interest in seeing the results.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
we are - we ARE !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I met with a local repair person this past Saturday for Paintless Dent Removal. He told me it would be $375.00 for the repair since the dent is located on a crease. Although this is probably a fair price, I had a price point in my head that I didn't want to exceed for this repair. I should note that we are leasing the Q3 so that always is factoring into my decision. I told him I would think about it. There are a few other options in the northern NJ area that I have contacted to get a quote. I will report back in if I find a better price and get the repair done.

Here is where and how the dent looks (attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ah man that's a pain in the behind. As far as parking far away from everyone else goes. I find my luck never allows that. I once parked all the way at the other end of a mall, literally no cars around. To my surprise when I came out, someone was parked right beside me. Literally, I couldn't open my passenger side door..

·
Registered
302 Posts
To my surprise when I came out, someone was parked right beside me. Literally, I couldn't open my passenger side door..
Same happened to me yesterday...

It's Sunday, the medical clinic has a HUGE empty parking lot because nothing is open except the urgent care clinic. Come out to see seven cars in the lot and one is smack dab up against my driver side door. Couldn't find the idiot who parked said car, so entered through the Q3's passenger door.

The ambulance driver outside the clinic was quite impressed with my 6'-2" contortionist act to get to the driver's seat....said he thought I'd "be his next customer."

Fortunately, no dings that I can see....just a little stiff and sore this morning.:p

·
Registered
247 Posts
DD - love your humor as always. Don't you HATE it when people do that! One thing I loved about the Mini was that it was small enough that it left more room on the sides even in the typical parking space so less likely to get dinged. I'm very impressed that you were able to get from the passenger to the drivers seat without further damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny stories...but I do wonder if people see us cautious parkers leaving our vehicles far away and decide to mess with us by parking right next them.

Just got a second quote from a local company that is priced between $175-250. Instead of Painless Dent Removal, they would use a procedure called Glue Pulling to remove the dent. Need to think this over.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Funny stories...but I do wonder if people see us cautious parkers leaving our vehicles far away and decide to mess with us by parking right next them.
Oh, I don't think there is any doubt about it! And I too am guilty of this....

Many years ago, just after retuning from the Vietnam War,and while looking for a parking spot on a private college campus, I noticed a Ferrari straddling the white line while taking up two parking spots next to a planting area.

I was actually quite proud I was able to wedge my dented '66 VW Bug between the Ferrari and the planting area....and as I was about 5 full inches from the Ferrari's passenger door, I doubt he or she had a problem getting in their car.

The car must have belonged to an art student, because when I returned to my car many hours later, the Ferrari was gone but there was a cute little hand-drawn picture of an extended middle finger under my windshield wiper. :p Ah, to be young again!

·
Registered
247 Posts
DD, more funny stuff. Have you thought about a 2nd or 3rd career in stand up?

the phrase that comes to mind is "payback's a b..... ain't it?"

I too believe there's reaction to people with expensive rides parking far from the fray.

But when you take up more than one parking space you are really risking a reaction.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh man, these stories are definitely killing me haha ! Honestly, these things happen and we get a little upset, but at the end of the day, we always look back on the experiences and laugh

·
Registered
5 Posts

Just got a second quote from a local company that is priced between $175-250. Instead of Painless Dent Removal, they would use a procedure called Glue Pulling to remove the dent. Need to think this over.
I have used PDR several times and on different cars. I think your quotes are on the high side, If you go to a body shop or worse the dealer, they are going to jack up the price. There are companies out here that work out of their own store fronts and they send techs out to body shops and or dealers to do the work. Find a indy dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was hit by a shopping cart a few weeks after getting my Audi Q3. I took it to my usual bodyshop that quoted me $2000 due to the glacier white paint. I took it on a whim to a paintless dent removal guy I had used for my previous car. $250 and a few hours later, the dent was totally invisible. I truly cannot even see it. It was actually a series of dents underneath the passenger door mirror.

I would find someone with good reviews and at least get a quote. The honest guys will tell you if the job is too much for them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
That's quite impressive. These days there are many ways to remove dents, some even DIY that don't require special tools or anything.

Did you make sure to look at the fixed area at different angles with different lighting?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was parked in a Walmart/PepBoys lot. Should I continue? New 06 X3 in perfect condition. I park real far away...came back to smashed door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts