Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been driving my 2016 Q3 2.0 TDI for about 8 months now.
In the past 8 months I had numerous small problems which resulted me going to service centre 6 times. Ok here they are.

1. Ad-blue warning signal came on after first 3000km. - Audi said there is no problem with the vehicle they just forgot to top up the Ad-blue in the factory (really??). They re-filled the Ad-blue for free.

2. Brake pad causing metal grinding sound especially during take off. - Audi said there is no problem with vehicle. Told me to record the noise and take photos of the brake pads.

3. Re-visited for brake noise. - Audi took more photos to send off to their head office.

4. Re-visit for brake noise - Audi head office directed the service centre to grind the brake pads to solve the noise problem. problem fixed.

5. Ad-blue warning signal came up again at 8000km. I got really really annoyed. Brought the vehicle back to service centre and they basically told me there is no problem with the vehicle. charged me $60 to re-fill the Ad-blue. They blamed my driving habit. apparently you use up more ad-blue if you have bad driving habit. Seriously? It only lasted 5000km since the last top up and it's a new car and I drive gently.
( I really think there is a problem with Ad-blue consumption. Audi dealer told me it should last at least 10000km. unless Audi cheated on disel emission on the new vehicle so it actually makes more emission and consumes more Ad-blue than it was advertised. Just my opinion )

6. Rubber rubbing noise every time I slightly push accelerator. -
The head technician told me it's absolutely normal with 2.0 TDI engine due to its high pressure engine power. I asked him to demonstrate on the new Q3 vehicle if it's normal as he say. The new vehicle was totally quiet and perfectly fine. Audi service centre told me it would take them 3 days to diagnose the problem. It's been 7 days now and they told me they are having difficulty finding the cause of it.

This Audi Q3 is my 3rd car and every single one of them was purchased as new and I never never never had this much problems in such a short period. More importantly, it's a shocking service. They basically tell me everything is normal. I'm getting really tired...

If there are problems that Audi service centre can't fix (they admitted there is noise in the car, they admitted it's odd thing to have such early Ad-blue warning sign), what can I do? Can I ask for a replacement vehicle? I know they are not safety related issues but I paid decent money to drive a nice car and if they can't fix it I think it's fair for me to ask them to replace the vehicle. I live in Australia and I'm not sure If i'm legally allowed to request for a new vehicle.

Please help me out here.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Well, first - welcome to the forum. we're glad you're here and I am very hopeful we can provide some help. Unfortunately for me, I am in the US and we don't have the 2.0 TDI here, but from my observations on other TDIs in other Audis, your AddBlue usage does seem high. Audi supplies almost all AdBlue for free in the US, so I cannot judge why Audi Australia should charge you for it - especially if your consumption is high. Have they offered an explanation of your "bad" driving habits, so at least you have the opportunity to learn from them and perhaps improve them?

Also I cannot comment on car replacement provisions (in the US we call this a "Lemon Law" application as bad cars are called "Lemons") for you but hope someone else here on the forum is also from Australia and more familiar with the application of law on this issue ...

Please let us know how its goes as we are interested in your being happy with the solution for your Q3. Other than these issues, I hope you are enjoying your car -

Reactions: tkim

·
Registered
134 Posts
TKim-

Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your new car. Audis are great cars (I've owned three) but do have their maintenance issues.

Your brake issue is especially interesting to me. "Grinding the pads" sounds to me like a band aid solution. I am skeptical as to if the crux of the problem was addressed.

In a thread I began last week, I outlined pre-mature rotor wear.

Perhaps as these reoccurring brake problems emerge, Audi will find a solution and then own up to the defect as they have in the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply.

with the Addblue problem. I did ask the technician what the 'bad driving behaviors' are which could possibly affect the Addblue consumption, but he could not give me the answers. Honestly, I drive gently about ~20km every day to work and back home. There are hardly any traffics and traffic lights. I don't speed and hardly push full accelerator. I could not find any 'bad driving behaviors'. He also commented that he's seeing this Addblue problems with some of the new Audi models.

I got little angry at him when he could not give me answers and I requested to replace the vehicle as it was a faulty advertisement as the dealer initially told me I should not have to worry about the Addblue until the first car service at 15000km (Addblue warning came up at 3000km and 8000km). Also Audi Q3 manual states the approx Addblue consumption per fuel. I did the calculation based on the average fuel consumption and the total km driven. It worked out to be my car was consuming more than double the amount that was stated in the manual. The technician told me I need to go back to the same Audi dealer where I bought my car and talk to them if I want to get a replacement.

I will wait and see if the Addblue warning pops up early again, if so, I'm going back to the same dealer and ask for explanation.

Sad part is that this is only one part of other problems...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TKim-

Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your new car. Audis are great cars (I've owned three) but do have their maintenance issues.

Your brake issue is especially interesting to me. "Grinding the pads" sounds to me like a band aid solution. I am skeptical as to if the crux of the problem was addressed.

In a thread I began last week, I outlined pre-mature rotor wear.

Perhaps as these reoccurring brake problems emerge, Audi will find a solution and then own up to the defect as they have in the past.
I agree JohnJ, I think the brake noise and the rubber rubbing noise is caused by same problem.
I feel like the brake and tyres are not aligned straight and as if they are constantly rubbing each other while driving normally.

Apart from these minor problmes I do enjoy driving Q3!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the car is purchased brand new and faults occurred and were reported within the first 6 months and your not getting anywhere with it and have it on finance I would write to the finance company and reject the car. The finance company will then act on the case.

German engineering

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up the car couple of weeks ago. I don't know what they did but it felt like a brand new car again. The engine noise was gone and the car felt very smooth.- Even the transmission timing was better - they must have changed something in the computer as well. Steering wheel felt felt very smooth as if it's been polished and oiled. In overall, I feel a much much smoother driving the car. There is a significant difference.

Enjoying the car now. :)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I picked up the car couple of weeks ago. I don't know what they did but it felt like a brand new car again. The engine noise was gone and the car felt very smooth.- Even the transmission timing was better - they must have changed something in the computer as well. Steering wheel felt felt very smooth as if it's been polished and oiled. In overall, I feel a much much smoother driving the car. There is a significant difference.

Enjoying the car now. :)
Great news - thanks for keeping us in the loop ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts