Audi Q3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I just got my 2015 Q3 a couple weeks ago and am really excited to have it - long time Audi owner here.

I wanted to get Plex (a media streaming client), working in the car so I could stream media from my server while on long road trips.

The Roku 3 seemed to make the most sense as it can be powered via USB and saved me from having to run power. I was going to go with the older Roku 2, as it uses RCA instead of HDMI, but it cannot be powered via USB. The Roku also uses a radio-based remote, which means I can leave it closed in the center armrest and the remote will still work.

Given the amount of work I had to do to get something similar working in my 2007 A4, the Q3 setup was very straightforward.

Here are the items I used:

Total spent (minus VAG-COM): ~$200 with shipping

Here's how I set it up:

1. First, unlock the video in motion (VIM) block on the MMI using this site: https://trick77.com/tools/mmi3g_vimcode.php.
  2. Plug the 4-port USB car charger into the cigarette lighter (right next to the armrest - how convenient!)
    Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Technology Electronic device
  3. Connect the Audi MMI RCA cable to the Audi MMI interface within the armrest.
    Wire Cable Technology Auto part Electronic device
  4. Use 3 of the male couplers to attach the MMI RCA cable to the HDMI to AV converter output
    Cable Speaker wire Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory
  5. Connect the supplied USB power cord to the HDMI to AV converter
    Technology Electronic device Cable Auto part Gadget
  6. Connect the Roku 3 to the HDMI to AV converter via the 1 foot HDMI cable
    Cable Technology Electronic device Gadget Electronics
  7. Connect the Roku 3 USB power cord to the Roku
    Vehicle Car Auto part Gear shift Family car
  8. Tuck it all away nicely within the armrest
    Vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part Mid-size car Vehicle Car Gear shift Auto part Mid-size car
  9. Power on the car, change the source to "Video Input" and change the settings from 4:3 to 16:9 display
  10. Setup the Roku to connect to your Audi's Wifi
  11. Enjoy hours of streaming Netflix, Plex, Spotify, Hulu, etc. to your Audi!
    Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Car Multimedia Electronics Gadget Vehicle Display device

The thing I like about this install is that nothing is permanent. I didn't have to drill any holes, fish any wires, or blow anything up ...and, I've still got 2 USB ports to use for charging my phone or other devices!

Hopefully someone else finds this tutorial helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hey - Welcome to the forum and THANKS for a great post on this installation - nice details and info and pics too - jolly good show !!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice work. I was planing on doing this with my cell

·
Registered
914 Posts
This is indeed a great DIY that should be part of a sticky or at least linked to in a sticky.

Do you have plans for any more DIY's in the future?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Impressive. Is it legal to have videos on up there? Or at least while the car is in motion?

Great to have you on the forum.

Welcome!

·
Registered
139 Posts
It should be fine as long as they're not actually watching movie while driving. I assume it's more for the passengers' benefit than the driver's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts