Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I just got my 2015 Q3 a couple weeks ago and am really excited to have it - long time Audi owner here.

I wanted to get Plex (a media streaming client), working in the car so I could stream media from my server while on long road trips.

The Roku 3 seemed to make the most sense as it can be powered via USB and saved me from having to run power. I was going to go with the older Roku 2, as it uses RCA instead of HDMI, but it cannot be powered via USB. The Roku also uses a radio-based remote, which means I can leave it closed in the center armrest and the remote will still work.

Given the amount of work I had to do to get something similar working in my 2007 A4, the Q3 setup was very straightforward.

Here are the items I used:

Total spent (minus VAG-COM): ~$200 with shipping

Here's how I set it up:

1. First, unlock the video in motion (VIM) block on the MMI using this site: https://trick77.com/tools/mmi3g_vimcode.php.
  2. Plug the 4-port USB car charger into the cigarette lighter (right next to the armrest - how convenient!)
    IMG_1971.jpg
  3. Connect the Audi MMI RCA cable to the Audi MMI interface within the armrest.
    IMG_1973.jpg
  4. Use 3 of the male couplers to attach the MMI RCA cable to the HDMI to AV converter output
    IMG_1974.jpg
  5. Connect the supplied USB power cord to the HDMI to AV converter
    IMG_1975.jpg
  6. Connect the Roku 3 to the HDMI to AV converter via the 1 foot HDMI cable
    IMG_1977.jpg
  7. Connect the Roku 3 USB power cord to the Roku
    IMG_1979.jpg
  8. Tuck it all away nicely within the armrest
    IMG_1981.jpg IMG_1984.jpg
  9. Power on the car, change the source to "Video Input" and change the settings from 4:3 to 16:9 display
  10. Setup the Roku to connect to your Audi's Wifi
  11. Enjoy hours of streaming Netflix, Plex, Spotify, Hulu, etc. to your Audi!
    IMG_1965.jpg IMG_1968.jpg

The thing I like about this install is that nothing is permanent. I didn't have to drill any holes, fish any wires, or blow anything up ...and, I've still got 2 USB ports to use for charging my phone or other devices!

Hopefully someone else finds this tutorial helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hey - Welcome to the forum and THANKS for a great post on this installation - nice details and info and pics too - jolly good show !!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice work. I was planing on doing this with my cell

·
Registered
914 Posts
This is indeed a great DIY that should be part of a sticky or at least linked to in a sticky.

Do you have plans for any more DIY's in the future?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Impressive. Is it legal to have videos on up there? Or at least while the car is in motion?

Great to have you on the forum.

Welcome!

·
Registered
139 Posts
It should be fine as long as they're not actually watching movie while driving. I assume it's more for the passengers' benefit than the driver's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts