Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did we get screwed on this one also.

From what I know the center MMI screen is stationary and does not fold down.

I'm watching this youtube doing a review on the 2014 Q3 in the UK and at the :30 spot the screen is folded down and at :40 second spot the screen is poping up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_DWfMyD98I

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Yup - it saved $40 which helped keep the price (and warranty costs, parts etc) down...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Yes, but the parts are a bit pricey in the aftermarket (I'd guess >€100), available only in the ROW market, and you'll need to do some coding to make it work (prolly thru both the J519 and the J285 or J794). But installation shouldn't be hard and the coding neither - just will need to be done. I bet it's 'almost' PnP...

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's manual in the UK. It takes a physical action to open and close it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Physical action really shouldn't be a problem but what would need to be coded if it's just a hinge for the open/close.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
The manual version should be pretty easy I think, and you're right, THAT would not require any coding. Plus the parts shouldn't be too bad either. I'd go for that - In Germany I believe it's electric and THAT requires coding to interface with the ignition, MMI, etc. - but maybe I'm just thinking of the A8 etc...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Group Buy on the manual version parts anyone???

Hey - I'd start a Group Buy, say ten units to start - and see if we could get a good discount from the dealer for it ... >:DOf course we'd need a volunteer in the ROW or UK to check on it. I'd volunteer to receive them all in the US and redistribute ...:nerd:

·
Registered
142 Posts
If someone gives me part numbers, I'm happy to do the legwork over here in the U.K.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'll get right on it tomorrow ...;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm interested if the install doesn't look too harrowing. I street park at my apartment about six blocks from a sketchy part of the city, so having one less eye-grabbing thing in the car would be good...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd be interested too. I stopped by a friends house to show him my new Q3. The one thing he found odd was that the screen didn't fold down. And I agree, though I could live with it in the fixed upright position it just screams to be folded flat when not in use.

Steve

2015 Audi Q3 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic, Florett Silver / Black

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'll check on the parts in the morning - and availability/price too...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Good news - this looks almost TOO easy - there's an alternate box, with lid that costs about $100 - we'll need to transfer the screen and front bezels that should snap into the box cover replace one bolt and away we go - If you have interest in that price neighborhood - PLEASE PM me and if you're committed I'll include you. I may order a few units to balance out shipping costs and to test the replacement concept - IF you have a beige dash, PLEASE let me know that too, otherwise you'll get black.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
No not yet, but a cursory look at the parts shows : snap off front screen bezel, undo one bolt that holds screen to box, pull/snap out box from dash - fish screen and cable from box, replace box, fish cable and screen into new box, bolt screen back into box (1 bolt), snap box into dash, snap bezel onto box/screen - enjoy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put me down. I'll take the chance for $100. Black dash here.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Here's a pic from ETKA -

you can see that we (NAR) have the parts 15, 16 & 19 and the ROW gets 17. (THIS IS INCORRECT - See later posts in threadhttp://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/393-interior/2978-pop-up-mmi-screen-5.html#post23954). Looks easy enough to me and an Audi tech that PDId my car today. From a source in the EU, I can get that part for about €70 (or about $95) plus shipping. They'll charge about €40 to ship 1 or up to 4, so that adds about $13 each. There could be duties too (~5%), putting total price landed to me about $115. I'd guess another $5 (UPS) to anyone here. I have almost the four now - y'all still in?
@CocoPops : you want to check the P/N : 8U0 857 925 6PS (the last 3 [6PS] are color choice, this case black) - see if you can get a better deal?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nope, my local stealer is quoting £71 for that part!
Makes your 70euro look like a good deal.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts