Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering buying a Q3 or a Q5 & wanted to ask all the Q3 owners if they feel that the Q3 is roomy enough especially when it comes to the trunk size? How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? What about strollers etc? Did you ever feel like you should have bought a larger SUV? Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi, I am considering buying a Q3 or a Q5 & wanted to ask all the Q3 owners if they feel that the Q3 is roomy enough especially when it comes to the trunk size? How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? What about strollers etc? Did you ever feel like you should have bought a larger SUV? Thanks!
IMO the trunk space is way to small.

Lets just say that the Q3 isn't for familes, but singles or empty nesters. My wife even says that the trunk doesn't hold all her groceries without putting down the rear seats, which means you have to move the front seats up because the rear doesn't fold flat otherwise.

If you're looking at it for a family then get the Q5.

Wonder if the new coming out Q1 will be larger than a Yugo? (Make note to take meds)...LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
I test drove both the Q3 and Q5. As a part of my test drive, I drove home and parked them in the garage. I also check to see if our luggage fit.

Yes the Q5 had more luggage space, but for me the Q3 was adequate. The deciding factor was the tight space in the garage. The Q5 was just too tight, much tighter than my A4 is today. Also, I thought the 2.0T was just a little under powered for the Q5.

If I had a wider garage and enough $$ for either of the 3.0 engines, I would have purchased the Q5.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Seriously? How many groceries does your wife buy?! :eek:

The Q3 is fine for our family of 4 (4yr old twins).
However, we are glad our stroller time is over as it doesn't fit into the Q3. For a recent roadtrip to Paris for Disneyland Paris, we used a roof box to store the stroller and additional luggage.

For day to day use, it's perfectly adequate for our needs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We fall into the empty nester bucket. So we are LONG past the phase of strollers :)
I did many a vacation in a mini van.

Like I said, the garage test was a clincher for me. The collision warning alarms were going off on all sides. Plus the Q3 is a sportier drive than the Q5 with the same engine. It handles like my 2005 A4, which has been a great car. It has over 200K miles on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’m going to chime in on this, although I have no answers. I am also in the narrow garage (1929 two car) situation and after lots of measuring I know I max out at a 72 inch wide vehicle. Our nest has been empty for about 25 years so we don’t need to schlep kids or kid stuff. What trunk volume we do need is limited to the occasional bike transport (a different thread), Costco runs and taking luggage with us when we go on vacation. So, I am going to ask essentially the same question as rads the OP.

How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? And in my case, I mean in the covered area behind the rear seats.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Since I am usually so shy, I must be careful with my chime in - but yatta hey :

For two of us - I have yet to even come close to filling the trunk with groceries - seats normal, two fold-up bins for stability and a 1 ft3 cooler for cold/frozen stuff already in the trunk - with the privacy cover on. Now I will admit that we visit the food store more than once a week (but usually only twice), and a Costco once a month, but really have had NO issues with capacity. I did fold the seats down once whilst taking about a dozen cardboard boxes (broken down) to the recycle center - but that's only once a month or so ...

For me, my wife and a roadtrip for us - the Q3 is perfectly sized -

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hmm. So far, I've not had any problems getting a variety of cargo and passengers in the car though I've not yet done an airport run. That said, it's definitely got at least as much space as my 2009 A3 and that would easily accommodate two checked (50 lb) suitcases and two carry on bags in the hatch area. So I'm not terribly worried...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Outside of planned maintenance I have not had much until recently where I replaced a motor mount damper and a speed sensor for the cruise control. It probably needs plugs and I think there is a heat shield around the catalytic converter that is driving me to distraction.

I am looking forward to my Q3 showing up next week. I ordered at the beginning of December.

·
Registered
914 Posts
fortunately things like motor mounts are as extreme as it got for you, which of course is expected as it is a part that wears out with usage.

thankfully it wasn't anything serious that came up as a real surprise

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Quick question for any current O3 owner.

Does folding down the rear seats limit the backward movement of the front seats?

Thanks
Sort of - you may have to move the seats forward to fold the rears down - but you can move them back again after - but perhaps not ALL the way back...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seriously? How many groceries does your wife buy?! :eek:

The Q3 is fine for our family of 4 (4yr old twins).
However, we are glad our stroller time is over as it doesn't fit into the Q3. For a recent roadtrip to Paris for Disneyland Paris, we used a roof box to store the stroller and additional luggage.

For day to day use, it's perfectly adequate for our needs.
Wife shops every two weeks for groceries.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had previously replaced a motor mount, but I can't remember what point that was. The biggest sticker shock has always been getting the timing belt changed. I understand that was changed on the newer engines, so I won't be facing that on the Q3.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea, timing belts were a routine thing depending on who you talk to around 80 to 100k. The water pump was also replaced at that time. What put me over the edge was the steering rack blowing out around 135k. It took the p/s pump as well and some front end stuff in the process of removal. Total damage was $3500. I justify it now by what it would have cost to lease an A4 for 20k. New wheels are coming. My A4 still has plenty of pep and just passed inspection BTW.

Yes, the new 2.0's have a timing chain so belt replacement is no longer necessary.

How often did you change your oil/filter Doug? I did mine around 1500 then 5000 and every 5000 there after. I know the new Audi specs say 5000 and then every 10000 there after but that "does not compute" for this guy from the age of points. All comments welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
How often did you change your oil/filter Doug? I did mine around 1500 then 5000 and every 5000 there after. I know the new Audi specs say 5000 and then every 10000 there after but that "does not compute" for this guy from the age of points. All comments welcome!
I'm with you on oil life, even these new fancy-dancy manufacturer-specified formulas. Since I don't drive so many miles anymore, I use 5K/1yr as my interval after the 1st 1000-1500, and I still get the first few analyzed by Blackstone ...it still surprises me how fast the "package" goes away compared to what the Goverment has mandated manufacturers to extend change intervals to - all for the "good" of us poor dumb consumers - what BS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I followed the Audi service schedule. During the first year, I put about 50K on the car, so I saw the service manager a lot. Lots of highway miles. I grew up with the 3000 mile rule for oil changes, so I wasn't sure about it at first, but I was in there so often I got over it.

I have had several cars over the years, and while there were expensive service points, the A4 has lasted better and longer than any car I ever had.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for getting back Roger and Doug.

I seem to recall the old intervals for oil as every 7500 for the 2.0. I didn't realize the government has begun to mandate oil change intervals! That says something right there.

I'll probably drop it around 1500, then 5000 and every 5000 for a while anyway. Also, the filter is now in a much easier location to get to for DIY. Anyone know if the bottom cover still has to be removed to get to the drain plug? If so, with dealership specials on oil changes (I have a choice of 6 all about the same distance from my house), it might be more trouble than it's worth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts