Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evolving the tron naming seen with the a3 e-tron Audi has gone a step further with the A3 g-tron. Thats G as in Gas, Compressed Natural Gas. The G-Tron offers a factory installed CNG kit for efficient operation.

The two largest benefits to CNG sourced propulsion are that it cuts c02 emissions and that CNG is cost efficicent to produce and use. Audi claims 100 km of driving will use 3.5kgs of CNG. One kg of CNG costs between 75 cents to a $1.50 depending on location.

Audi also cites 400 km on CNG power alone, while making a combined 1300km between petrol and CNG. It will swap to petrol when CNG levels run low. Enough to satisfy a single fill up per month I'd say...

So the question is do you think Q3 could benefit from this technology? To take it one further will the Q3 see this type of technology?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Where would you refill a natural gas powered car? I haven't seen a pump anywhere that you could use, and its not like electric cars where every house on the grid can participate.

Its worth the research but I don't see this technology becoming mainstream any time soon.

·
Registered
914 Posts
its a concept in the works. but there really are almost no gas stations that fill natural gas into your car..
Yup, it's going to be hard. I drive around a lot and rarely see a natural gas station.

You're better sticking to all petrol or going hybrid, both are much more practical.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can use CNGprices.com to locate facilities near you. There are 15 locations with available CNG all clustered within 30 minutes of my house.... Perhaps if you live in the sticks this is not a viable option, but for those in major urban centers it certainly is. Besides rural folks don't particularly have the appetite for electric vehicles (and CNG) as the "progressive" city dwellers. I use progressive loosely, if not sarcastically ;)

http://www.cngprices.com/station_map.php

·
Registered
914 Posts
it'll be a while before natural gas gets anywhere in cars.. if it even does
I doubt it will, at the rate Hybrid and EV systems are picking up an how governments are pushing them I think hybrids and EV's will over power natural gas. Natural gas might not even have a chance

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea but if natural gas continues to be landlocked then govs may find it beneficial to push natural gas...

·
Registered
124 Posts
and natural gas prices will just go up too eventually

there will always be a market for petro in my opinion

it will dwindle over the decades when more alternatives are offered.

unless someone offers a synthetic alternative that is cheaper that can also work in petro engines.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't really think that a diesel hybrid is going to happen anytime soon. Diesels are usually more expensive, so a hybrid would be pretty pricey. Any fuel savings I think would be dashed by the extra cost.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I don't really think that a diesel hybrid is going to happen anytime soon. Diesels are usually more expensive, so a hybrid would be pretty pricey. Any fuel savings I think would be dashed by the extra cost.
That is true, but even now you still pay a good amount more for these green cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts