Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My adventure starts...

Does anyone know if any Audi has memory seats with the 2 memory buttons built into the drivers seat?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
My adventure starts...

Does anyone know if any Audi has memory seats with the 2 memory buttons built into the drivers seat?
As far as I know, NO Audi has memory buttons built into the seat. They are all on the door panel somewhere. As far as the Q3 goes, since memory seats are NOT an option in ANY market, there are NO parts that would or could integrate cleanly into these door panels. Most of these button modules fit into an existing arm-pull or side panel that suits the model, and if none exist for the Q3 door panels, this may be a challenge.

Further, also as far as I know, the set-point potentiometers are NOT included on the seat motors UNLESS the memory option is selected. So that means having to fit either new motors with potentiometers to the seats or possibly replacing the seats.

Then there's the integration of the memory module itself into the CANBUS - also, since no Q3/A3 have the right Central Electronics module to support a seat memory module, we may have another significant challenge.

I could see spending at least $1K on this from scratch and THAT would likely count me out - but I remain hopeful and excited about another solution that I would be only to happy to join in -

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
... was afraid of that - pooh $hit !

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Ah, but wait a minute - this may be good news. As far as I can tell, the R-Line Tiguan is the FIRST PQ35 VAG Platform that has memory seats -

That could be a good thing for us Q3 owners - first, it could come next year for the face-lift buyers for sure, BUT, that also means there may be a legacy compatible solution for US. At least there's a path within the CAN for the electronic bits, which for me was the deal-breaker for a retrofit - Now some real research must begin.

There could be hope afterall - or I just fall into a black hole too - just what I need, an excuse to approach an event horizon ...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, but wait a minute - this may be good news. As far as I can tell, the R-Line Tiguan is the FIRST PQ35 VAG Platform that has memory seats -

That could be a good thing for us Q3 owners - first, it could come next year for the face-lift buyers for sure, BUT, that also means there may be a legacy compatible solution for US. At least there's a path within the CAN for the electronic bits, which for me was the deal-breaker for a retrofit - Now some real research must begin.

There could be hope afterall - or I just fall into a black hole too - just what I need, an excuse to approach an event horizon ...
Seriously, if it came with the face lift for 2016, I'd be so pissed I might just trade her in and go buy another manufacturer.

I still feel that Audi pushed the 2015 on the USA just to get it here and didn't care about the buyers.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Check this out :

VW Tiguan R-Line : Driver's seat w/12 position memory -

my seat : look familiar ??

I'm already thinking that the wiring is there - the seat motors are prolly already stepper type since there'd be no need to make them different. I've found some coding on-line for the Tiguan which does show a new module (#36 Seat Memory) and looking over the VW ETKA, we may have to buy both the switch (and easy-peasy install imho) and the memory module (which fits under the seat) so maybe this whole deal can be had for less than $1K - I'm IN !!!

VERY optimistic at this point -
btw, the facelift price for the Q3 will NOT go up (at least base) so perhaps the Prestige package where HomeLink, Memory would reside, will - the folding MMI bin is a bust in cost (the fixed parts actually more expensive to replace, so I think all cars will get that) ...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check this out :

Vw tiguan r-line : Driver's seat w/12 position memory -

my seat : Look familiar ??

i'm already thinking that the wiring is there - the seat motors are prolly already stepper type since there'd be no need to make them different. I've found some coding on-line for the tiguan which does show a new module (#36 seat memory) and looking over the vw etka, we may have to buy both the switch (and easy-peasy install imho) and the memory module (which fits under the seat) so maybe this whole deal can be had for less than $1k - i'm in !!!

Very optimistic at this point -
btw, the facelift price for the q3 will not go up (at least base) so perhaps the prestige package where homelink, memory would reside, will - the folding mmi bin is a bust in cost (the fixed parts actually more expensive to replace, so i think all cars will get that) ...
Freaks me out. Can't imagine the wiring is there.

But I'm in if the price is decent.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
These days, a lot of platform-similar things like wiring harnesses are the same - and pieces/parts just not connected if there's no option purchased. They just wrap some friction tape over the loose plugs and tape out of sight. That's a whole lot easier than to have 27 different varieties of wiring looms or harnesses to keep track of on an assembly line - keeps costs lower and assembly faster...

That's also why we get "packages" which are easier, faster and cheaper than discrete, separate options - we can thank Honda for that, he discovered, packaged, produced AND priced cars this way first.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These days, a lot of platform-similar things like wiring harnesses are the same - and pieces/parts just not connected if there's no option purchased. They just wrap some friction tape over the loose plugs and tape out of sight. That's a whole lot easier than to have 27 different varieties of wiring looms or harnesses to keep track of on an assembly line - keeps costs lower and assembly faster...

That's also why we get "packages" which are easier, faster and cheaper than discrete, separate options - we can thank Honda for that, he discovered, packaged, produced AND priced cars this way first.
Ok, so who's going to remove their seat for a peek.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The mmi has seat memory display option... In the green menu.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
The mmi has seat memory display option... In the green menu.
Yeah, I'd like to see that too. So far as I can find so far - nope.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As you asked so nicely :)

0 means not displayed.
1 means displayed when stationary.
5 means displayed even when driving.

Another screen that just has a on/off switch.

Hope this helps.

Lee

1 - 20 of 88 Posts