Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be on the lookout : I just heard of this but have NOT been notified. If anyone reading this has, please PM me with details. I am trying to find out the specifics and details ...and when I do, will post them here.

Reactions: JohnJ

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting... Heard nothing in the UK yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I took my q3 in to the dealer to have the fix a broken tailgate switch at the drivers side door ( which they did not fix properly) they notified me that they also performed a coding update with respect to the sunroof mandated by a recall. I was not told what it would rectify or prevent though.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I took my q3 in to the dealer to have the fix a broken tailgate switch at the drivers side door ( which they did not fix properly) they notified me that they also performed a coding update with respect to the sunroof mandated by a recall. I was not told what it would rectify or prevent though.
Thanks, that's the one - if you get any details on what it does, we'd be appreciative ...

Reactions: JohnJ

·
Registered
603 Posts
A coding fix? So that means the sunroof problem is something to do with programming? I'm wondering what kind of problem that could possibly be. Seems pretty simple to program a sunroof properly. :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
My guess would be to defeat full "auto close" and force you to hold the switch to close it. Maybe stop two inches short and force you to hold the switch for the last bit to avoid pinching.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess would be to defeat full "auto close" and force you to hold the switch to close it. Maybe stop two inches short and force you to hold the switch for the last bit to avoid pinching.
I think you are correct or at least on the right track ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is to stop the roof from closing if the vehicle is turned off while the roof is closing. This is to be compliant with Federal regulations. I got my notice today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a step backwards.

Nanny state?

Reactions: rnlabas and JohnJ

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah - really struggling to see what this is attempting to gain in terms of safety.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds like a massive step backwards. VAG used to have the cool rotary dial for opening and closing the sunroof that now appears to be gone in favor of distinctly generic cheapo switch. And if you can't operate the sunroof without the engine running there goes the ability to open or close it when outside the car, something i've done hundreds of times.
Have they eliminated the "anti pinch" feature from the sunroof?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is to stop the roof from closing if the vehicle is turned off while the roof is closing. This is to be compliant with Federal regulations. I got my notice today.
I also got my notice today. In this case, the thing they are trying to fix is better than the fix. I'm not prone to putting my hand in the sunroof while it is closing. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
..snip... And if you can't operate the sunroof without the engine running there goes the ability to open or close it when outside the car, something i've done hundreds of times.
The wording suggests only that if you turn off the car WHILE the sunroof is closing it will stop. Nothing about what occurs if power is already off. Or if you use the remote or standard key to open the roof. Let's hope nothing changes.

I hope someone who gets the fix can report what it does to closing with power off already.

·
Registered
165 Posts
But wouldn't you want the sunroof to close after the engine is off? I thought now if I shut off the engine and the sunroof is starting to close it finishes...

·
Registered
300 Posts
But wouldn't you want the sunroof to close after the engine is off? I thought now if I shut off the engine and the sunroof is starting to close it finishes...
Yes YOU would but the government wants it stopped as a panic stop for when your six year old sticks his tiny fingers in between the glass and the roof.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm sure that the regulation exists because of a previous issue that resulted in someone's injury. This is a quote from the recall document.

"The sunroof function as it exists in affected vehicles is not in compliance with federal regulations, and could result in personal injury if a vehicle occupant were in the way of the sunroof a it is closing...
Apparently the sunroof is compliant with regulations in Europe, but not in the US.

3,646 Q3s are affected.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-recalls-q3-over-sunroof-noncompliance-88288.html

·
Registered
300 Posts
As delivered in Canada ...If the roof is opening while you power off and open the door the roof stops.

If the roof is closing while you power off and open the door the roof does not stop.

It seems to be a real bug since closing is error prone while opening is not. Yet they stop it from opening further but let it close on your pinkies.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Windows continue to close after power off

I wonder why they allow windows to close even after power off but the sunroof must halt.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I wonder why they allow windows to close even after power off but the sunroof must halt.
If the sunroof is closing and then the power is turned off and you have your fingers in there, is there some type of safety stop that will stop the sunroof if it is going to close on your fingers? I think that is what the recall is trying to address.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts