• No, you're an idiot.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a lot of Youtube before doing this, I'm fairly mechanically savvy and work on my own Corvette but I wanted to be sure I had the right plugs, gap (.032), torque for installing the plugs (NO antiseize!) and mostly how to unplug the wire loom from the coils, which is a bit of a pain.

None of the $12 each (Advanced Auto Parts, a good chain in my experience, but always buy online and get 15% or more off!) were gapped correctly, they were all too tight at about .030. Doing that took about 20 minutes as I was being super careful not to damage the tips. I paid about $40 each (before discount) for the Bosch coils.

Two different shops, a Brakes Plus that I like and trust plus a Euro motors shop that is also good, wanted about $600 or so for this job. Total parts cost me under $200 and I could do it again in under an hour I'm sure.

Tools - correct plug socket, extension, breaker bar, some tape to put in the plug socket so it retains the plug on way out and in (duct tape!), wide thick blade long screwdriver (to pry/pop the oil coils out), .032 gap tool and a tool to adjust the gap, that's about it. I put some dielectric grease on the plugs before installation as well. NO anti seize, that makes judging the plug installation torque unpredictable. I went with 'finger tight then an additional 3/8 turn'. It felt just right to me.

My old plugs were a mess and I'm guessing despite the service plan we had from Audi that serviced it 3 times under that plan, the plugs were never changed! Haven't driven it much yet but I expect to feel a difference, the old plugs were clearly used up.

Yes, I did clean up the grit in that area before doing the work!

Here's a bunch of pics of the process.

Separating the wire loom from the coil, getting those plugs loose, was tricky but in the end I used gentle force and pried a bit with the wide blade screwdriver, being careful not to crack the plastic on the female plug from the loom, that would be $$$$.
Coils unplugged.jpg
Again, gentle force, levering with the screwdriver from various angles, working the coil up and out carefully. They're probably just fine, but at 85K and going to this trouble, for $160 top of the line replacements made sense to me.

All 4 plugs were gapped incorrectly out of the box at about .030, need .032. I did this super carefully and it took some time to get right.

Old plugs which might be 85K mile originals! Note the duct tape on the socket, that make it hold the plug in place during plug removal and installation. If the new one drops into the cylinder top on the way down, there goes your gap; start over.

Old left vs new right and box, coils.
coils original dirt grit.jpg

·
Super Moderator
148 Posts
wow, good stuff. Wish I had the skills to do this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts