Audi Q3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I would love to know why Audi gives us an engine rated at 200 hp when APR measures it as 222 Hp.
Cuz that's better than advertising 200 hp and someone measures 190 hp - ask Kia. Also like I said, EVERYBODY's dynos are different and have different correction factors - so I wouldn't count on APR's number being any better or more correct than Audi's. Plus, if APR is wrong so what? Are you gonna complain to the DOT or NHTSA if they are - like you would if Audi was wrong? Doubt it...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
If I commented how I truly feel about this, I'd be banned from the forum.
...me too. I cannot even imagine what/how some folks imagine coulda/woulda/shoulda applied to car computers. It's like the OBDII port now being used by insurance companies to discount or disallow claims based on how your car is/was driven - or the guy who rented a Corvette and took it to the track, and its "telemetry" had the rental car company track him down and have him pay for "abusing" the car. - makes feel glad that I'm old.

Reactions: BobInPa and JohnJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm looking to get the ECU upgrade to my car after 1000 miles. I did it to my GTI previously and had no issues. Noticeably better MPG too.

Edit:

The documentation seems to indicate that dealer diagnostic equipment will scan for mods at the time of scan (presumably at the shop)
This is true, however, there is a stock mode that you can put it on. Is it guaranteed to make it so that it's keep the dealer from finding out? No. Luckily, at the time I had my GTI, the people who did the APR upgrade for me was a VW dealership.

If you have issues, and you need to bring it to dealer for service it'll not affect your warranty UNLESS it's within doubt that the damage was done by the mod. Even so, certain things can be appealed through AoA. Although, for those considering to an ECU upgrade, do so only at your own risk.

·
Registered
914 Posts
At your own risk is a big one. If you're new to this, and have limited knowledge, I would advise against doing this as someone who knows more and knows what to expect is better prepared to ensure they don't void warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
APR is known to inflate figures. They are a solid, but conservative tune.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know I'm hopping into this thread late and all but... on the subject of APR, has anyone asked them about fitment of their Carbonio intake for the 2.0 TSI? I know it fits the Tiguans with an adapter to the inlet, and since the Q3 is in essence a Tiggy in a tux I figure it should work.... I loved this intake on my GTI, it added just the slightest growl & amplified the diverter valve.

·
Registered
36 Posts
so how many people have powered up their Q3?
im curious if its way better or just a little?
The software from APR will be a noticeable difference on a turbo charged engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The software from APR will be a noticeable difference on a turbo charged engine.
is this advice coming from experience with this software on your own car?

how much more noticeable will it be? as some people state they noticed a non tuned car with air intake and exhaust mod. aka butt dyno feel.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
APR's Stage I tune (ECU only - no intake or exhaust) is typically good for 15-30 hp, or roughly 8-15% - definitely noticeable on your butt dyno ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think I may end up getting a few bolt ons (cai, exhaust, whatever that little accelerator pedal add-on that Roger has is),knowing the minimal gains, but in preparation for a tune. I'm not quite ready to have my car flagged, and warranty out the window, for flashing a tune.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Don't consider the SprintBooster as a bolt-on, it's technically not - it doesn't change anything BUT the ramp of the accelerator electronically - simply put, the same pressure (actually angle) on the gas pedal with the SprintBooster provides more actual throttle than without it. Re-read my post on the installation - or just imagine 2 "S" curves that start and end at the same respective place, but one has a steeper rise to it in the beginning than at the end. That steeper rise just literally applies more throttle (gas/air) than the other one - even though in the end, they both meet it converge to the same point, so they start at the same place and finish at the same place.

It doesn't add 1 hp, but makes throttle tip-in much more sensitive and gives better driving response.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
tune with out bolt is way more effective than any bolt on without the tune.
...and these engines take a VERY nice gain with an easy tune ->:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
...and these engines take a VERY nice gain with an easy tune ->:D
I prefer a software with specific hardware to tune any of my cars rather than a flash. flashes are not my cup of tea, its too generic.
I hope that cobb will come out with something but that's like a far off wish.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I prefer a software with specific hardware to tune any of my cars rather than a flash. flashes are not my cup of tea, its too generic.
I hope that cobb will come out with something but that's like a far off wish.
I'm curious what you mean, software vs flash - same thing- or do you mean a piggy back box - separate from the ECU? Perhaps easier for those who don't want to poke around the OEM ECU, but hardly less "generic", and quite probably MORE generic, as they have to work AFTER or on top of the ECU.

ECUs can be as complex and specific to tune as is needed by any engine - just need to know how to do it... risky maybe, but I would not say generic.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts