Audi Q3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm curious what you mean, software vs flash - same thing- or do you mean a piggy back box - separate from the ECU? Perhaps easier for those who don't want to poke around the OEM ECU, but hardly less "generic", and quite probably MORE generic, as they have to work AFTER or on top of the ECU.

ECUs can be as complex and specific to tune as is needed by any engine - just need to know how to do it... risky maybe, but I would not say generic.
Assuming he is referring to adding your end state hardware upgrades (exhaust, dp, ect) and dyno tuning it...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm curious what you mean, software vs flash - same thing- or do you mean a piggy back box - separate from the ECU? Perhaps easier for those who don't want to poke around the OEM ECU, but hardly less "generic", and quite probably MORE generic, as they have to work AFTER or on top of the ECU.

ECUs can be as complex and specific to tune as is needed by any engine - just need to know how to do it... risky maybe, but I would not say generic.

Your doing what now?

:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sadly I have learned that APR has no ECU upgrade for the 2016 models and told me they have no idea of an ETA for it. Ditto REVO except that they didn't say if they were even working on a 2016 mod. What I liked about both of these software solutions was that one could reset to factory before taking the Q3 in for service/warranty work.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sadly I have learned that APR has no ECU upgrade for the 2016 models and told me they have no idea of an ETA for it. Ditto REVO except that they didn't say if they were even working on a 2016 mod. What I liked about both of these software solutions was that one could reset to factory before taking the Q3 in for service/warranty work.

Isn't the engine the same as the 2015 Q3's engine?

i.e. EA888 Gen1 2.0 Liter TSI

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_trans.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
APR/REVO ECU Software

Isn't the engine the same as the 2015 Q3's engine?

i.e. EA888 Gen1 2.0 Liter TSI

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_trans.html

I believe the ECU is the determinant, not the engine. The APR rep specifically stated that they are in the R&D phase for the 2016 Q3 2.0L TSI and had no idea when they would be releasing the software. The REVO rep said that if I can get him the ECU part # he would be able to determine if their current software would work. Sadly, as I am still awaiting my Q3's arrival after leaving Jacksonville last Thursday I am currently unable to give him the ECU number.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe the ECU is the determinant, not the engine. The APR rep specifically stated that they are in the R&D phase for the 2016 Q3 2.0L TSI and had no idea when they would be releasing the software. The REVO rep said that if I can get him the ECU part # he would be able to determine if their current software would work. Sadly, as I am still awaiting my Q3's arrival after leaving Jacksonville last Thursday I am currently unable to give him the ECU number.

Actually, you are right: technically - the ECU for the Mk7 GTI's have been not tunable since Mid June 2015.

It appears VW has shut down the usual pipes into the ECU for APR & other tuners.

So if that's what APR is saying then, it would have extended to the Audi's also (sharable VW parts).

Latest from the VWVortex is that APR is still a few days away from cracking the box sorta speak.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Your P/N is : 8U0 907 115 L (I would need to scan the car to get the serial number)

2015's are the same except for a J at the end - this is usually how P/Ns are sequenced when cars are progressed - same basic P/N, different suffixes.

btw, MSRP on a new one is $1580 ;)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Roger,

Is this your way of suggesting that I should not get the APR or REVO software flash?

Craig
Not at all - but you SHOULD be completely AWARE. So far as I know, NO ONE has been able to confidently hack Audi's ability to read a TD1 flag that your car has been modified thru a flash - NO MATTER what the current (Aug 2015) claims of factory re-flashes etc. IF though they DO, get it in writing that THEY will WARRANT your car will no longer throw this flag or THEY will buy you a NEW ECU. I doubt ANY of the aftermarket tuners will do this. I just included the ECU price as a point from which you could understand the costs involved should YOU take the risk.

EVEN THAT may not protect your factory warranty. If you don't care about your factory warranty (at least on the drivetrain) then all this is moot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just received my shipment confirmation from Ross Tech, This plus my paint protection and flip up MMI will be my only mods. I love this vehicle, reminds of my first BMW 20002 experience.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ECU Flash Question

Since our engine is used in other Audis but tuned differently (read more BHP) do these other Audis have different engine internals or is the additional BHP just gained through an ECU tweak? If so then why doesn't Audi offer that for the Q3?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Sometimes it's more than an ECU tweak - things like exhaust routing (which is dependent on the platform), cooling systems etc., available for the tune. Sometimes it's equipment or load ranges too (also platform dependent). Audi tries to to tune to deliver the best combination of power and fuel economy expected for each platform and range. That's why the differences.

Let's take the Q3 in particular : the base engine in the RoW is a 211 hp 2.0 TFSI with a DSG. For the NAR though, our market required more fuel economy, less transmission firmness and could loose a few ponies (i.e. less acceleration and top end) to meet those expectations/requirements. MOST folks driving small SUVs are NOT as mindful of power as they are fuel economy so de-tuning the base engine suited the market, and that's what we got.

For the few (and just look at the discussion on fuel economy vs this one) that would be happy to sacrifice some miles for ponies, it's just NOT in this market's business plan. Otherwise we'd see the RSQ3 here already. Audi just couldn't justify it for perhaps 500-1000 units - compared to the 30000 others -

it's just bidness man ...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sometimes it's more than an ECU tweak - things like exhaust routing (which is dependent on the platform), cooling systems etc., available for the tune. Sometimes it's equipment or load ranges too (also platform dependent). Audi tries to to tune to deliver the best combination of power and fuel economy expected for each platform and range. That's why the differences.

Let's take the Q3 in particular : the base engine in the RoW is a 211 hp 2.0 TFSI with a DSG. For the NAR though, our market required more fuel economy, less transmission firmness and could loose a few ponies (i.e. less acceleration and top end) to meet those expectations/requirements. MOST folks driving small SUVs are NOT as mindful of power as they are fuel economy so de-tuning the base engine suited the market, and that's what we got.

For the few (and just look at the discussion on fuel economy vs this one) that would be happy to sacrifice some miles for ponies, it's just NOT in this market's business plan. Otherwise we'd see the RSQ3 here already. Audi just couldn't justify it for perhaps 500-1000 units - compared to the 30000 others -

it's just bidness man ...

Thanks for the Econ 101 explanation.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
... didn't mean to overstate the obvious, but really - some folks just think Audi can build just what they want and why not? Econ 101 -

·
Registered
67 Posts
What I find interesting is that the 2.0 TFSI engine in the Q5 has 10% more horsepower and 20% more torque, but yet pretty much the same fuel consumption as the Q3.

I guess they are using different designs and the one in Q5 won't fit into the Q3? Otherwise from the costing point of view, it makes more sense to reuse the one from Q5 directly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What I find interesting is that the 2.0 TFSI engine in the Q5 has 10% more horsepower and 20% more torque, but yet pretty much the same fuel consumption as the Q3.

I guess they are using different designs and the one in Q5 won't fit into the Q3? Otherwise from the costing point of view, it makes more sense to reuse the one from Q5 directly.
Transmission tuning.
6 Speed Tip on Q3 vs. 8 Speed DSG on Q5

There might be some minor configuration & packaging surrounding the engine but it's the same hardware.

If they had given us a at least a 7 speed we'd be @ 26mpg combined.

·
Registered
119 Posts
... didn't mean to overstate the obvious, but really - some folks just think Audi can build just what they want and why not? Econ 101 -

I guess what I was really asking is if the difference is primarily a different coding in the ECU why doesn't Audi offer that as a dealer installed option, while there are few of us it seemed to me that if APR et al. can charge $500-$1,000 why wouldn't Audi want a share of that pie? Even APR offers exhaust tweaks and I would think the Audi techs are just as good, if not better, at dealing with the electronics and exhaust systems.

No need to respond, just trying to clarify why I asked the question.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts