Audi Q3 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
You're right - its also a PIO (Port Installed Option) now too ...

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Don't know why it wouldn't fit any year - there may be local or national (e.g. US- DOT) reg/law that gets in the way though ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't know why it wouldn't fit any year - there may be local or national (e.g. US- DOT) reg/law that gets in the way though ...
Yes maybe that's correct. On US Audi site, it states that all Q3's from 2015 and towards have towbar preparation, so maybe that's why it says that it's available for that models. Don't know if it's swiveleld or not, on photo doesn't seem to be swivellled

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes maybe that's correct. On US Audi site, it states that all Q3's from 2015 and towards have towbar preparation, so maybe that's why it says that it's available for that models. Don't know if it's swiveleld or not, on photo doesn't seem to be swivellled
it is a 1 1/4" receiver. The connector for the controller is on the passenger side inside the trunk area behind the panel and the bracket to hold the controller is already their also. Pollak make a plug you can use with the factory harness if you already mounted a hitch and just want to add the controller and wiring for trailer lights etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone installed the the OEM hitch? I can't find any images of how it looks, other than the tiny one on audi's website.

Also, does anyone know the complexity of the installation. I just want a hitch for a bike rack and don't care about an electrical connection. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe it's the same hitch that Uhaul sells for 20% of the price. It's also a 1.25" receiver, not a 2" receiver.

I have been thinking about adding the Reese hitch to my Q3, it's a 2" receiver, and I think it looks better. But, that is also my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe it's the same hitch that Uhaul sells for 20% of the price. It's also a 1.25" receiver, not a 2" receiver.

I have been thinking about adding the Reese hitch to my Q3, it's a 2" receiver, and I think it looks better. But, that is also my opinion.
Can you link to pictures of how it looks? My searches have come up empty :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
After more digging, it seems like the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # 75218 is probably the best fitting one after the Audi one (guessing) based on what I can tell from the design, where the 2 arms slide into the existing sockets. It's not clear though if any trimming of the fascia is needed. One review on a website said they didn't need it. I think this is what Frank Berrios installed. I wish he could repost his images because photobucket blocks them now. There is one good picture in the instructional manual... just google for it, but it doesn't show a side view.

Also, appears that the draw-tite hitch (part # 75218) is sold under reese (part # 44769 ) and hidden hitch (part # 87687) names too, just to make it more confusing, but they look identical and have exactly the same installation instructions.

For the 2 inch receiver option this seems to be the one to get as far as I can tell.

Still, would be nice to see what the Audi one looks like with the 1.25 inch receiver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone installed the the OEM hitch? I can't find any images of how it looks, other than the tiny one on audi's website.

Also, does anyone know the complexity of the installation. I just want a hitch for a bike rack and don't care about an electrical connection. Thanks
I have installed it b the genuine one. Check post #99 you will find pictures and more info. Have retrofitted everything

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H850 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
From my research, it looks like Curt makes the factory OEM class 2 hitch. It is very similar to the Curt Class 3 hitch. This also appears to be the same as the uhaul hitch.

I am not clear if you can use this with AWD, I see missleading info out there.

https://www.carid.com/images/curt/trailer-hitches/pdf/13238-installation-instructions.pdf

The Drawtite also appears to be the same as the Reese hitch (Class 3). I like the way this one looks on the car better then the Curt/uhaul one. IMO it looks factory, where the Curt looks aftermarket.

When I add on, I will probably do the drawtite/reese one too. I missed a sale at pepboys where they were doing free install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope this helps some people... I recently installed the Drawtite that I mentioned previously on my Audi Q3 2015 AWD with a 2-inch receiver. It fits perfectly and doesn't require any drilling, cutting, etc. The instruction manual mentioned trimming the fascia but this was completely unnecessary. The rest of the instructions, however, were pretty accurate.

1. Remove fascia by removing 4 screws from bottom and 2 screws inside each wheel cover (instructions said 3 screws but I only needed to remove 2). Then gently pull on the fascia (I started on driver side) and gently unhook the proximity sensors (if you have any) while you unclip the fascia. I liked this video for that: youtube DOT com/watch?v=USZjmG-2dRE
2. Remove the bumper (the black metal brace) (2 screws on driver side, and 4 on passenger). You won't reattach this, the hitch takes its place.
3. Use the fish wires and position everything as stated in the manual. Then tighten everything. One issue I had is that the spacers that come with it are too small and don't catch on anything, so the screws/nuts would spin when tightening. I ended up inserting a long metal piece to brace against the spacer which allowed me to tighten everything. This was by far the most time consuming part of the project.
4. Re-attach the fascia. I did NOT need to trim any of the plastic. Just twist / stretch the flexible plastic a bit over the hitch receiver to get it into place, and then it just fit perfectly. Attach all the screws and you're done.

I'll try to add more pictures. I didn't find a lot of information on this previously so I hope this helps some people. Best looking hitch I could find and it fits perfectly for the 2015 Q3 AWD.

imgur DOR com/9urMgPf

^^ for some reason I'm not allowed to post links or images. Hope you can figure this out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yay!!!

I was able to install this hitch https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/75218.html all by myself last weekend; took me somewhere between 90 - 100 mins. My Q3 is 2015 (USA) with driver assist so it had sensors on the bumper (4 in total).

I started following the instruction given on etrailer website;

Removed all star shaped screws, (IIRC 11-12 in total using T20 and T30).
After above I got stuck on removing the bumper, I followed this video
(you just have to pull it out by little pressure; its attached using snap on clips).
Once the bumper is free; if you have sensors attached, you need to separate the clips on top and bottom on sensor a little and get the sensor out.
Go back on instruction again and open 2 + 4 nuts,
remove the metal bumper(or whatever it is called),
and you should see the opening where the Hitch will be placed. Place it; put the screws on and start putting things back in reverse order.
I did not need to make a big cut; I think I did 3.5 * 2; and that was sufficient.

I bought the hitch/rack 6+ months back; and was searching for someone to do it and was quoted minimum $300 for the job (claiming that sensors are complicated to handle).

Now thinking why I waited so long.

P.S.: The hitch looks good, will post some images later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Installed the Audi factory hitch along with the Offroad style package (the isn't supposed to fit US spec cars) and the hitch is definitely not made by Curt or any of the other aftermarket manufacturers. I replaced a Drawtite and the finish and weld quality of the Audi hitch is definitely a step up. The wiring harness was a cinch to mount and has a 7 pin connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We don't have a video of the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver # 75218 on your 2018 Audi Q3. The greatest thing to note is the establishment requires the perpetual expulsion of the guard bar and the hitch will trade that guard pillar for help and security.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts