Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am turning off my radio - pushing the button - before I turn off the vehicle. When I turn on the vehicle the next time, the radio comes on without me doing anything. Is there a setting doing this?

It could be an Id10T issue...:crying:

Thanks, John

·
Registered
35 Posts
The button on the center console that you are using to "turn off" the radio is only a mute button and it does not power off the radio. The mute setting doesn't persist when you turn the car off and then turn it back on.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The button on the center console that you are using to "turn off" the radio is only a mute button and it does not power off the radio. The mute setting doesn't persist when you turn the car off and then turn it back on.
Oh! Thank you. Where is the OFF button then?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found it. The button is for both on/off as well as mute. Manual says I need to push and HOLD to turn off MMI which I assume includes radio as well.
I will try this out. Page 7 of the MMI Nav Manual. Not sure about this function but will work it out and report back.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I think I figured it out. The on/off button does indeed turn MMI - Audio/Nav/Phone/Other functions OFF if you press and hold it. Once it is on, then pushing the On/Off button mutes the radio as Antimoz stated above. If you hard push the button to turn it off and then turn off vehicle, MMI does not start automatically when you restart the vehicle. You must press the On/Off button.

My key learning is that the Audio system is bundled with the rest of the MMI, not independent as I have experienced is other vehicles. My particular gripe is that I want to turn off the radio before I turn off the car and have it stay off when I restart the car but still have other MMI applications start such as Nav/Tel and then turn on the radio at my convenience. The workaround to not having the radio come blaring on when I restart the car is to turn the volume down to zero before shutting off the car. Does someone have another suggestion?

As I noted in my post - Q3 x 2 = ?? - a number of the controls in this German car are different than in Japanese cars. I have so much experience in the similarity of the Japanese controls from car to car that I am having to relearn the ones like this in the Q3. I am unsure of the logic of not having the radio controlled separately from the rest of the MMI and maybe I will become of a fan of it but for now it just seems unnecessarily complicated. Is that the German way?

Thanks, John

Reactions: rnlabas

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Ok, I think I figured it out. The on/off button does indeed turn MMI - Audio/Nav/Phone/Other functions OFF if you press and hold it. Once it is on, then pushing the On/Off button mutes the radio as Antimoz stated above. If you hard push the button to turn it off and then turn off vehicle, MMI does not start automatically when you restart the vehicle. You must press the On/Off button.
I think by "hard press" you really mean press and hold for a few seconds - don't want anybody pressing their button to death thru the console injuring their finger ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think by "hard press" you really mean press and hold for a few seconds - don't want anybody pressing their button to death thru the console injuring their finger ;)
Correct. No injuries allowed!:laugh:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this right?
If I have the Nav screen on and the trip info on the dash, there is no way to change the radio station?
Said differently, must I have the radio on one of the two screen to change the station?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Is this right?
If I have the Nav screen on and the trip info on the dash, there is no way to change the radio station?
Said differently, must I have the radio on one of the two screen to change the station?
You can use your steering wheel controls. Look at it this way, MMI is the interface or OS for all that stuff, BUT you must change apps (Radio, Media, Nav, Phone, etc) to use the one you want, just like a SmartPhone. If you have your phone on and you want to look up a new contact, you must switch apps ... same, same - one screen for either, but not both together - other than the steering wheel controls which is basically an extended screen - cuz the same goes for it too on the screen between the gauges -

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can use your steering wheel controls. Look at it this way, MMI is the interface or OS for all that stuff, BUT you must change apps (Radio, Media, Nav, Phone, etc) to use the one you want, just like a SmartPhone. If you have your phone on and you want to look up a new contact, you must switch apps ... same, same - one screen for either, but not both together - other than the steering wheel controls which is basically an extended screen - cuz the same goes for it too on the screen between the gauges -

Thanks for the confirmation. This is unlike any other system I have ever had. The lack of a simple toggle switch to change a station as well as the inability to simply turn OFF the radio (without turning everything off) is my biggest complaint with the Q3. I am sure I will adapt to it, as I have a smartphone, but this just doesn't seem like a worthwhile advance.

However other manufacturers are dealing with feedback about infotainment and switchgear - Honda has eliminated a volume know on their most recent vehicles and are using a virtual slider on a screen which is also driving a lot of negative response.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I thought the radio thing was weird back in 2009 on my S5 and TT, but now I'm used to how the system works and no longer too troubled over it. Really, with the radio (actually audio) merely muted and the rest of the system still live, I am connected and available for calls but don't worry about audio - it's different but it works.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought the radio thing was weird back in 2009 on my S5 and TT, but now I'm used to how the system works and no longer too troubled over it. Really, with the radio (actually audio) merely muted and the rest of the system still live, I am connected and available for calls but don't worry about audio - it's different but it works.
Agree - just an adaptation. However, I still dislike the extra click just to change a station! :crying:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Agree - just an adaptation. However, I still dislike the extra click just to change a station! :crying:
The fast forward/rewind looking buttons on the dash change stations for me, no matter what "app" the mmi is currently focused on, for both radio and changing songs through the media "app". Is this what you are talking about, or something else?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fast forward/rewind looking buttons on the dash change stations for me, no matter what "app" the mmi is currently focused on, for both radio and changing songs through the media "app". Is this what you are talking about, or something else?

Thank you, I will go try this now and report back.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Yup and on the steering wheel too ...(unless you move it off - it defaults to the entertainment tab) -

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I am pleased to report that using these button on the dash did move the station or track forward. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup and on the steering wheel too ...(unless you move it off - it defaults to the entertainment tab) -

Can you explain this to me? My arrow button does not change the station, it moves the in dash display from Trip Info, Audio Info, Compass Info. What setting do I need to have to use the arrow button on the steering wheel to change a station?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts