Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having noticed how all too common new car reviews are and how much more valuable a review is of a vehicle that's been put through its paces for xx xxx amount of miles/km's, this review of a Used Audi Q3 will be a must watch/read for some here

a 25-minute video review can be seen on ChronicleLive, here: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/lifestyle-opinion/used-car-review-audi-q3-9004279

The Audi Q3 at first looked to be a case of stretching a theme too far. The monster Q7 SUV has spawned the mid-sized Q5, but many thought that this was as small as Audi sports-utes would get. Wrong. The Q3 is a dinky little compact Crossover that offers the perceived advantages of a slightly higher-riding vehicle at a more modest price point (for an Audi).

Although some may question the advantages of this car over the A3 premium family hatch on which it's based, the market took to the Q3 fairly readily and Audi fleshed the range out with further models. Here's what to look for when shopping for a used version. While Audi could be accused of a certain lack of imagination when it comes to the Q3's styling, it's a look and feel that customers are accustomed to, which they clearly like and which may well date better than more extrovert rivals. In size, the 439cm long Q3 is 24cm shorter than the next SUV up in Audi's product range, the Q5, although the Russian doll styling may confuse some as to which model it is. Many customers still have difficulty differentiating an Audi A5 Sportback and an A7 unless they're parked next to each other and it's the same story with the Q3.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Weird question that's unrelated (mostly): does anyone think it would be possible/easy to swap out the egg crate portion of the grille for the one in that video? It's matte grey, not glossy black and I feel like it would just wear better over time. My A3 had a matte grey egg crate in its grille and as so much easier to take care of than this black!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Weird question that's unrelated (mostly): does anyone think it would be possible/easy to swap out the egg crate portion of the grille for the one in that video? It's matte grey, not glossy black and I feel like it would just wear better over time. My A3 had a matte grey egg crate in its grille and as so much easier to take care of than this black!
It's actually a matte black and is the base grill for the Q3 - along with the wheel arch moldings etc. Our gloss black and body-color painted wheel arches are an upgrade. You should be able to readily swap these out though that's a EU-only P/N and may be tricky to get.

I'll try to run down the P/N for you and see what OEMVAG.com or ECS can do got you ...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Awesome, Roger - I guess the hard part would be finding one that's not pre-made for a European license plate, too. But, still, if you turn anything up, I'd be curious to know about it!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Nick -

Presuming you have front PDC, here's the P/N you need : 8U0 853 651 K (if you don't have front PDC the P/N is : 8U0 853 651 H with the same color suffixes.

It comes in 3 different colors all signified by the last 3 characters :

Basic Black (matte) : VMZ

Stone Grey : 1QP - this may be the color you see in that video cuz the wheel arches are usually a dark grey too - but the outer grills (around the fog lights) only come in satin black that I can see (with either black or chrome rings around the fog lights).

and lastly, shiny gloss black is : T94

All these come with a separate filler plate for a front license plate (I can't find this P/N, but presume you don't want it) but they all have the same wide band across the front unlike the RSQ3 grill.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks, Roger! This is really useful info and something to consider modifying as the car gets more familiar to me. Do you know if the quattro badge comes off of the existing grille or would have to be ordered separately as a replacement?

And, if I'm honest, I think I'd prefer the grey trim around the wheel arches, etc like on the Euro cars. Probably in the minority on that but it looks a bit more akin to an allroad then, which I really like!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Thanks, Roger! This is really useful info and something to consider modifying as the car gets more familiar to me. Do you know if the quattro badge comes off of the existing grille or would have to be ordered separately as a replacement?

And, if I'm honest, I think I'd prefer the grey trim around the wheel arches, etc like on the Euro cars. Probably in the minority on that but it looks a bit more akin to an allroad then, which I really like!
NP - as for the badge, chango switcheroo also NP. And for the wheel arches - hey, MOST RoW cars have them in stone grey as well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts